Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

question concerning nicotine and tar content in cigarettes

rm2x

Bluelighter
Since the new laws have changed the packaging of cigarettes to not show the levels of nicotine and tar, are the producers now able to jack the levels up without our knowledge? ie: B&H Smooth were once 8mg on the packets

Or are there laws set in place to safeguard against this?

I've asked some friends and they have'nt even thought about that happening.

false advertising

rm2x said:
Since the new laws have changed the packaging of cigarettes to not show the levels of nicotine and tar, are the producers now able to jack the levels up without our knowledge? ie: B&H Smooth were once 8mg on the packets

Or are there laws set in place to safeguard against this?

I've asked some friends and they have'nt even thought about that happening.

from memory, the way tobacco companies measure nicotine and tar is to put the cigarette into some machine, butt first, then extract the smoke and then analyize it.

the failings of this method is that it doesn't allow for the perforations on the butt (which make cigarettes "milder")to be partially blocked as when you would when you hold a cigerette. in other words the nicotine and tar levels previously shown the packs were underestimated.

it still amazes me that they were able to "false advertise" and get away with it.

check this link...

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...m=10&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4HPAA_enAU219AU219&sa=N

^^ Plus smokers unconsciously regulate the amount of nicotine they get from each draw by dragging harder and deeper, doing more damage to the lungs. Hence 'mild' cigarettes, aside from being a meaningless term, are actually worse for you.

Manufacturers can't simply 'jack up' the nicotine levels. The tests are done from analysis of the residue left over from the smoke, not the actual plant matter itself. Conceivably you could get variants of tobacco that have higher concentrations of nicotine but, as banga pointed out, the whole '8mg' of nicotine thing is to do with the perforations in the filter, not the plant matter itself.

^^ There's nothing in that article about them putting additives in cigarettes. Unfortunately it doesn't elaborate on how the higher levels of nicotine are being achieved, one would assume it's similar to how they get higher THC levels in weed. IT was interesting to see that they have developed a new test that takes into account some of the things banga and I mentioned. If there is any kind of government standard with tobacco and nicotine levels one would imagine it has gotten harder to enforce now that no tobacco is grown (legally) in Australia and is instead imported from China.

Dunhill Cigarettes - Chilled/Frosted/Menthol

Hey guys,
There is probably a better board for this, but its Australia specific...
I smoke Dunhill 'Chilled' which is one of (i think) three menthol products that Dunhill makes... I've looked around for a while but cant find the strengths for these cigarettes... I'm fairly certain that (from weak to strong) they rate Frosted, Chilled, and St. Moritz, but I'm trying to find out the tar & nicotine levels in each

Anyone have any idea at all? The only information i could really find is:

Wikipedia said:
In Australia, cigarette manufacturers are prohibited to use terms such as 'light' and 'mild' for their tobacco products. Consequently, Dunhill have a differently named product range for their Australian market. Words such as 'Refined', 'Distinct', 'Premier', 'Infinite' are used instead of 'ultra-mild', 'extra mild', 'mild' and '1mg' with the strength usually recognised and categorised by the colour of the packaging being Silver, Blue, Red, and white.

Silver is 4 mg tar/0.4 mg nicotine; gold is 6 mg tar/0.6 mg nicotine; blue is 8 mg tar/0.8 mg nicotine and; maroon is 10 mg tar/1 mg nicotine. There is also a light aquamarine coloured package for menthol flavoured cigarettes, which contain 8 mg of tar and 0.8 mg of nicotine.

Each brand is sold in 20, 25 and 30 packs.