• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Question about Dextromethorphan HBr and Percocets

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
I have been taking 30mg of Dextromethorphan HBr thirty minutes before taking my percs in an effort to keep my tolerance where it is. I use a CVS brand of cough medicine where Dextromethorphan HBr is listed as the only active ingredient.

However, it just seems as though my tolerance keeps going up. Right now I have take just over 40mg of percs to get any sort of high. I would really like to keep my tolerance right around where it is, or at least to slow it way down.

Should I take more than 30mg of DXM (say, 60mg) before taking my percs?

The other question I had is that I don't take percocets every single day. I might take them, say, 4 days a week. One day I will just take one 10mg pill to kill off routine pain. Another day I take much more than 10mg. Do I need to take 30mg-60mg of DXM 7 days a week in order to keep my tolerance where it is - even on days when I don't use any percs?

Thanks for your help.

If it was as easy as that everyone would be doing it. Sorry hun can't stop a tolerance from developing with repeated use.... Breaks are the only way and it's never permanently reduced.

Taking dxm will not prevent tolerance, it may help slow it, but if you use opiates to get high, you will develop a tolerance. Taking dxm daily is not something I'd recommend either. The best way to beat tolerance is longer breaks, you may want to cut back to only a couple of days a week if you can, and you truly don't want to develop too much of a tolerance.

About a month ago I went through a two week period where I had no percocets. I didn't go through withdrawals or anything, but I certainly wanted some. As soon as I got a new 7.5mg/325mg script, I took 37.5mg (plus a few Lorazepam 1mg tabs and one Benadryl tab), and I failed to get any kind of euphoria. And that was a bit more than I was taking when I stopped taking the percs for two weeks. It made me wonder just how long you have to be totally off this stuff to bring your tolerance way down to where you don't have to take a handful of pills to get euphoria. The body really has an amazing memory for these things. I sometimes wonder if I stopped using the percs for 6 months if I would never get back to the wonderful days where I could take a 3.75mg pill with a few Lorazepam and be feeling really good. What's frustrating is that I don't use percs on a daily basis, and I don't use them more than once per day. I only use them when I get home from work. I also don't always use them to get high. Right now I have 15mg in my system to kill off neck pain from the day. It's just nice once or twice a week to have that opiate high, in addition to the painkilling.