• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Question about clonazepam tolerance

Blackenthesun37

Ex-Bluelighter
So I took 5mg of clonazepam last night 4 hours after I ate a pretty big dinner. Waited 40 minutes, and I felt absolutely nothing at all.
how in the hell is that possible? I mean I know I had a tolerance of 4mg but not 5. I should have felt sedated. I guess I will have to keep buying phenibut even though it's so
damn expensive.

How long have you been taking clonazepam? Benzo tolerance is one of those things that can take months or even years to mitigate. I had to go the entire 2016 year without using benzos to even slightly feel 20mg of Valium. How much Phenibut are you using? You're definitely not alone in your experiences

Last edited:
How long have you been taking clonazepam? Benzo tolerance is one of those things that can take months or even years to mitigate. I had to go the entire 2016 year without using benzos to even slightly feel 20mg of Valium. How much Phenibut are you using? You're definitely not alone in your experiences

About two years. I usually take 3 or 4mg. I take 9 250mg phenibut capsules. Did not know it could take months to make less intense. I drank alot of coffee that day that's probably why
it didn't work.

Yeah too much coffee AND a tolerance may have been the culprit. You could try potentiating the clonazepam with grape fruit juice next time and maybe wait 6 hours instead of 4 after your last meal. Be safe

Please be safe and be careful. Once the GABA/Glutamate system is thrown out of balance, some people find that benzos stop being therapeutic at any dose, so it may be time to think taper or at least maintain your dose. You don't want to yo-yo your nervous system too much. I have no experience with Phenibut, but isn't that a GABA agonist of some kind (I've read that it's GABAb compared to benzos, which are GABAa). Yes, please stay safe and keep your doses steady and consistent.

Benzo tolerance is worst thing in the world. It builds up quickly, and it takes forever to drop. Do some searches on GABA downregulation, sedative-hypnotic kindling and excitotoxicity, and it will start making sense why you feel the way you feel. Also, please do not try to cold turkey or rapid taper off of your Klonopin. If you have been taking 4-5mg of Klonopin daily, that's a pretty hefty dose that will require a slow taper, should you ever decide to go off of them.

I sometimes get varying results from the same batch of benzodiazepines. It all depends on your stress level, what's in your stomach (has a huge affect on your "high"). I like to dose and then smoke herb to kick it in, whenever I do benzos herb is a must have for me, and for other friends it's a shot or 2 max of alcohol. If you're feelin pretty relaxed if you take benzos you'll likely notice just one affect, sedation. The euphoria I've found benzos to provide all come from balancing out my rare speed highs, mitigating my constant anxiety, and the feeling of muscles unclenching as they kick in. Muscles I didn't even know I was clenching.

I sometimes get varying results from the same batch of benzodiazepines. It all depends on your stress level, what's in your stomach (has a huge affect on your "high"). I like to dose and then smoke herb to kick it in, whenever I do benzos herb is a must have for me, and for other friends it's a shot or 2 max of alcohol. If you're feelin pretty relaxed if you take benzos you'll likely notice just one affect, sedation. The euphoria I've found benzos to provide all come from balancing out my rare speed highs, mitigating my constant anxiety, and the feeling of muscles unclenching as they kick in. Muscles I didn't even know I was clenching.
To add onto that... "euphoria-wise" the benzo that always does it for me is temazepam. Although its kinda rare, I dunno for some reason those capsules hit me hard man. Alot of people jump on the xanax bandwagon and say those are the most euphoric. (Which btw made them skyrocket in street value). Which I think is quite stupid actually. For me at least theres far better ones out there. Zannys make me sleepy for about an hour and I dont rememeber shit... and thats about it. I'll take my k-pinz anyday over anything else, they're kinda like the methadone of benzos... Plus its got that nice menthol taste when u snort em. Its strange, its almost as if they were meant to be that way hmm.:D

The thing with benzo tolerance is that it may well drop down to an ordinary level, but as soon as you take benzos successively within a certain timeframe then it will rapidly increase in an exponential fashion with each dose. IME, after long term use and reaching a certain point, it takes at least 2-3 days of not using benzos to avoid this kind of cumulative/exponential tolerance effect.

Case in point, last week I took 30mg of (legit NHS) diazepam; it barely effected me and it lasted for about 1 - 1.5 hours. My next dose was 40mg two hours later and the effects were lacklustre. My last dose was 78mg 9 hours after the initial dose and it did absolutely nothing whatsoever. Just to clarify, this is nothing to do with dick sizing, I am simply using it to illustrate an important point for users of benzodiazepines to consider (and let's face it, accumulated benzo tolerance would be a pretty shitty/weak brag).

This is the problem with benzo tolerance. After a certain point in your use it is very easy to consume large amounts in a short period of time and then to have to taper off etc; or if you've got enough benzos or (god forbid) benzo powder, to just keep going until you run out.

So I took 5mg of clonazepam last night 4 hours after I ate a pretty big dinner. Waited 40 minutes, and I felt absolutely nothing at all.
how in the hell is that possible? I mean I know I had a tolerance of 4mg but not 5. I should have felt sedated. I guess I will have to keep buying phenibut even though it's so
damn expensive.

^Have you been using a lot lately, or in the past? It could be the case that your tolerance is on the up. Presumably this has already happened if you take 5mg of clonazepam, it's just that perhaps in the past it happened a lot more incremental/you didn't notice it.

I'd suggest lowering it, and considering tapering off. :)

Last edited:
^^ this and the other above posts all play a part. Btw, using both GABA a and b receptors doesn't help.
If you want to get your doses lower, you will have to taper both the Clonazepam and Phenibut down gradually, if you ever expect to have relatively normal effects again.

Wow! Reading these posts it makes me grateful that for 15 years I have maintained my Clonazapam at .5mg with 10 extra monthly for high anxiety situations. I have taken 2mg here and there for coming off crack. But I'm really grateful with my addictive personality that I've stayed at a minimal dose. It actually amazes me. Although I have programed myself to look at my medications as just that because fucking with them causes me a lot of instability. I have several disorders and the less drama the better for my mental health (cuz I'm one crazy assed bitch on meds never mind without). I view it as my responsibility to take my medications faithfully each day to be safe around other people. I never feel good when I have public meltdowns. I try to avoid them by staying home during my Premenstrual Disphoric Disorder (extreme pms) times. Hence not abusing mefs that work for me when I take as directed. I hope I never have to come off Clonazapam being aware of the difficulty getting off of them due partially to their half life.

Could grapefruit juice really potentiate clonazepam? I know about gf juice and opioids. Let me know and I will buy some.

Klonopin is known to do exactly what you stated. Once I was tolerant to Klonopin, I could eat 30mg at once (which I have numerous times) and get little to no effect. I experienced this problem with Valium as well, must have something to do with it's long half life.