• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Question about a beta blocker pill and heart rate

xkore88

Greenlighter
I have a 25mg Atenolol pill. I try to donate my plasma twice a week but most times my heart rate is too high (if over 100bpm you cannot donate) because I have an anxiety disorder. I am prescribed 10MG of Valium 3 times a day but it doesnt do much because ive been on it for a long time.

My question is I was told this beta blocker will lower my heart rate. I was told to take half of it, not the full 25 mg. The problem is I HAVE to be able to donate tomorrow for reasons I am not going to share. How long before I go in should I take this pill? And is 25MG really too much to take or should I take the half?

Part of your anxiety is caused by over thinking about it. Take your medication as prescribed.

On a near empty stomach, take the Valium 45 min to an hour before you donate blood. Stop overthinking! That will help chill you out/

I'm also prescribed Atenolol for high blood pressure and tachycardia. I have panic disorder but have had issues finding a dr to rx for benzos so I have the anxiety factor working on my bp and heart rate also. Who told you to only take half of the atenolol, and why? I'm prescribed 50mgs and I've been taking it for years. If I take the whole 50mgs at once I get symptoms of low blood pressure, so I split it in half and take the two halves 10 minutes apart and that's what works for me. Works great for my tachy and blood pressure. I'd say take it an hour or so before your appointment.

2-3 hours beforehand for peak effect. If you don't take it daily, 12.5mg should be enough to prevent tachycardia.

I have a 25mg Atenolol pill. I try to donate my plasma twice a week but most times my heart rate is too high (if over 100bpm you cannot donate) because I have an anxiety disorder. I am prescribed 10MG of Valium 3 times a day but it doesnt do much because ive been on it for a long time.

My question is I was told this beta blocker will lower my heart rate. I was told to take half of it, not the full 25 mg. The problem is I HAVE to be able to donate tomorrow for reasons I am not going to share. How long before I go in should I take this pill? And is 25MG really too much to take or should I take the half?

How's your salt intake? Even with a normal blood pressure, over 2.5 grams/day of sodium can increase heart rate. Also Atenolol is very safe, personally I would take the whole 25 mg'er but don't exceed 50 mgs as that could give you Bradycardia.
Keep us posted please