• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Purify tar? Need help desperately

AddictedChristian

Greenlighter
Hello everyone first time posting. I'm desperate. Hope I'm posting in the right place and following all the rules. Ok here it goes... keep getting tar that makes me feel anxious and jittery. assuming it's cut with caffeine or something. Is there any way of filtering it out? only smoke never slam or snort. hate needles even just getting shots at the Dr or IVs. Sometimes get batches that are fine then batches that that throw my anxiety off the rails. Live in southern California so assuming it's low grade Mexican tar. Is there any way of taking caffeine or any other stimulant out of product for smoking? Even if it's not total purification, just taking a little caffeine out or something. :( feel like I'm dying here. have a bad case of anxiety which is kinda the reason got into tar. Please please help. Or if there's already a thread about this can someone please point in the right direction? was thinking of maybe flattening it out like a pancake, then freezing the tar till it gets rock hard, then soaking it in water for a short period of time so maybe some of the caffeine would get absorbed by the water. I read online that caffeine was water soluble. Is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
Get some promethazine or sleeping tablets to mellow it out what roa are you using I get that but I find if i smoke enough I nod out eventually anyway either way even if I am over stimulated its better then being sick at least in the day time you get shit done

First of all thanks for the replies. very much appreciated. Some questions for shadys fox. How much liquid should one be using to dissolve it?if there were say 2-3 grams. Just enough to make it liquid or should it be gooey or? When first dissolving product in vinegar or water how do you know if solution is stable or not? Next how does one know when to stop adding baking soda. And after filtering off particulates do I discard them? All I have is coffee filters for that. The end product will be smokeable correct? And assuming have to take smaller hits or less at a time depending on weight before and after purification? And if one can't get test strips or the materials to get rid of the fent is it not safe to smoke? Sorry for all the questions just want to be as safe as possible. And Ganjcat.. its smoked and Xanax is what is used when feeling too much anxiety or panic coming on.

Then, to neutralize any fentanyl/most fentanyl analogues, prepare a solution of everclear and sodium hydroxide, dissolve your heroin with a minimal amount of it, and heat/boil it. This should break the acetamide bond in any fentanyl/most fentanyl analogues that might be present,
This might work on paper but in my experience amide bonds are way harder to hydrolyse than you'd think. Without a means to test for fentanyl I would not do this. Also the ester bonds in heroin will break way before any amides will so you will likely convert all the heroin to morphine.

When first dissolving product in vinegar or water how do you know if solution is stable or not? Next how does one know when to stop adding baking soda. And after filtering off particulates do I discard them? All I have is coffee filters for that. The end product will be smokeable correct?
Erowid has a good article on purifying street heroin actually.
The idea is you want to dissolve as much of the soluble heroin salts in water initially. Vinegar is only necessary to keep the solution acidic (pH 6 or lower) - I would expect that tar heroin would be acidic enough that you wouldnt need any vinegar. pH test strips or a pH meter could tell you for certain. Maybe there will be some insoluble tar too, you don't need to worry about dissolving that. Filter anything that does not dissolve, then you want to basify the liquid with bicarbonate to the point where the heroin is all converted to the free base which is insoluble in water, about pH 10. Heroin has a pKa of about 8 so at pH 10 it will be 99% freebase (and pH 6 to be 99% salt). The resulting precipitate will be free base heroin which is smokeable but cannot be injected without conversion to a salt again. This process will not remove fentanyl though so keep in mind any fentanyl-contaminated material will need to be consumed with utmost caution.

its smoked and Xanax is what is used when feeling too much anxiety or panic coming on.
Using benzos of any sort in combination with heroin or other opioids is very risky and is not recommended. It greatly increases the risk of respiratory depression / overdose.

Heroin has a pKa of about 8 so at pH 10 it will be 99% freebase (and pH 6 to be 99% salt).

Just curious, why 99%? I'm assuming there is a reason you listed both pH @ 99%.

Also, you would expect BTH/#3 to be slightly acidic? Everytime I've encountered it (BTH), it required an acid to dissolve.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. honestly thank you. the tar always has a very vinegar like smell so assuming it is pretty acidic. tried dissolving some of tar in water and it dissolved no problem.so Sekio when adding bicarbonate does it need to be heated simultaneously or should just a pH meter be used to watch until it gets to 10? and does this take a certain amount of time before it all turns to a solid to smoke? oh and VERY cautious when using benzos with tar. usually no more than .5 mgs in any 12 hr period when used together and have been taking benzos for about 20 years on n off. never built a tolerance and never abused. only used as needed. thanks again

the tar always has a very vinegar like smell so assuming it is pretty acidic. tried dissolving some of tar in water and it dissolved no problem

I'm always confused when I hear people say this. BTH is a free base form of heroin, that's why it can be smoked and doesn't (shouldn't) be efficient for insufflation. If it's water-soluble, and if it's slightly acidic, it's not a base anymore for smoking. Is something happening where the cuts are acidic and allowing the conversion from a base to a salt?

I'm always confused when I hear people say this. BTH is a free base form of heroin, that's why it can be smoked and doesn't (shouldn't) be efficient for insufflation. If it's water-soluble, and if it's slightly acidic, it's not a base anymore for smoking. Is something happening where the cuts are acidic and allowing the conversion from a base to a salt?
no idea. never took chemistry in school. all know is know people ppl that slam and smoke the same tar. everyone else known slams. only one that smokes.

That guide recommends to use hydrochloric acid first to ensure you have a full salt.

It also answers your question about the bicarbonate.

[Erowid Note: We've received notes saying that following this procedure with street "heroin" that contains fentanyl or other non-heroin psychoactives could result in a substance that would be dangerous to use. One primary concern is that substances more potent than heroin such as fentanyl could be concentrated so that the resulting material would be far too strong. This purification process should not be used for street "heroin" that contains other substances. It is for the purification of actual heroin (diacetyl morphine) not to separate heroin from other psychoactive chemicals. See the notes below for additional comments about this issue.]

This is as complete and as accurate as I can remember, it has been something like 9 years since I have used heroin. The process I used for purification was straight forward. Diacetylmorphine can exist in two forms, an insoluble base, or a soluble salt. Often it contained a plethera of other agents like pieces of broken glass, pieces of foil, dirt, wood, metal, mannitol, lactose, maltose, sand, you get the idea. The first stage of the process I used was to make sure the diacetylmorphine I received was totally converted to a soluble hydrochloride salt. The heroin I usually received was a brown powdered heroin, sometimes off white, very little vinegar smell. Today all you can find is a black crud that reeks with a vinegar (acetic) odor. The way I made sure it was a soluble salt was to drop enough 28% hydrochloric acid to make it wet. This insured that I would not waste any of the available drug, but would remove most if not all of the cut. I think that it would be better for me to detail it in a procedural manner. FYI, hydrochloric acid can be purchased in gallon jugs at hardware stores under the name Muriatic acid, 28%.

First weigh out one gram of heroin from the stock you received from your supplier. Place this gram into a 13 x 100mm test tube. Add a few drops of 28% hydrochloric acid until it is evenly damp. Allow to react for a minute or two. Next add 5 ml distilled water, place your thumb over the end and carefully shake to dissolve all that will dissolve into the water. Allow the insolubles to settle. Using a pipette, remove and transfer as much of the liquid to a fresh test tube leaving the solids behind. Dispose of the undissolved remains in the first test tube. Slowly add via pipette, one drop at at time, ammonium hydroxide (water clear household ammonia) until the white precipitate ceases production. Add several more drops at this point just to be sure. Shake gently to be sure that all the solution is evenly ammoniated. The solution should look milky. Now add 100 ml ethyl ether (some kinds of diesel starting fluids, read the label) to a 150 ml beaker. Dump the milky liquid into the ether and stir briskly and allow the water to settle and collect on the bottom. The water will turn clear. Using a glass pipette, remove this water from the bottom of the beaker and dispose of.

Now mix up a solution of 5ml 28% hydrochloric acid and 5ml distilled water and add this to the ether in the beaker. Stir briskly keeping as much acid/water suspended as possible for several minutes. Allow the water/acid to collect on the bottom of the beaker. Using a glass pipette, remove this water layer from the bottom of the ether and transfer to a glass petri dish. Transfer the ether back to its storage bottle for reuse. It will still contain small amounts of heroin base, so don't throw it out. Recycle! Slowly add small portions of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to the water/acid solution in the petri until you don't notice any more bubbles being formed. Place the glass on a warm surface, and allow to evaporate. The residue will be diacetylmorphine hydrochloride and salt. Table salt is a by-product of the reaction and will not hurt you at all when injected. Scrape up the residue and weigh it. Yield from one gram of smack (yea, we called it that) would be anything from 100 to 300 mg, rarely more. Place 100 mg of this powder in a test tube, add 10 cc sterile isotonic water for injection (available OTC at drug stores) and heat to boiling. Transfer this liquid while still hot using a syringe (available OTC at some drug stores) to a 10 ml rubber stoppered empty sterile ampoule (available OTC at drug stores).

To use this drug which is 10 mg/ml, extract with a sterile syringe as much drug as you wish to use. 10 mg would send me flying believe it or not. 2.5 mg (1/4 cc) was usually enough to keep me "happy" and was my normal dose. 20 mg was the most I could take safely in my opinion, and was a waste of drug and money. Normally, for most 150-170 lb males, 2.5 mg is more than enough in my opinion. Using heroin in this manner avoids the problems associated with "street use" and will keep your body healthy and safe, reducing the risk of disease and overdosage.

My memory is pretty good, and I think I covered all the bases here, but I may have made a mistake somewhere. Overall I think this is an accurate method, to the best of my ability to remember.

Notes #
  1. April 2009: D's Note : As a chemist who has dealt with fentanyl, I wanted to comment on the issue of whether this is a dangerous procedure to use on street "heroin" that actually contains fentanyl.

Plain fentanyl should *not* convert to anything dangerous via the procedure listed. Unless the high or low pH values associated with the procedure were coupled with prolonged exposure to heat, no modification of fentanyl should occur. Nothing dangerous would be generated, to the best of my knowledge.

If the product is a fentanyl analogue like sufentanil, I am unsure of what may happen to some of the more fragile aromatic rings upon exposure to strong acid or base, but I would still assume that nothing *dangerous* would occur.

However, if the "heroin" did contain fentanyl, two problems would arise trying to use this procedure. First, the hydrochloride salt of fentanyl is insoluble in water, and the extraction procedure would be useless as in several steps the desired product would be discarded. Second, the amount of fentanyl in such a mixture would be very small, probably something like 10 mg in a gram of stree *heroin*. This would be exceedingly hard for a novice chemist to extract, and even harder to use properly.

Therefore, if a user suspects they have fentanyl (a short lived high, less euphoria, very white powder, etc), *I* would suggest they not try this approach. For regular heroin I would highly recommend it. Several details about this could be verified by reading Siegfried's "Synthesis of Fentanyl".
  2. Jan 2008 : BS's Note : If we supose than street heroin could be fenantyl+filler excipient to dilute and reduce the potency at the heroin level and we eliminate the filler, it would be posible to suffer an overdose taking the purified fenantyl. So before the purification we must be sure than we have heroin and not fenantyl with TLC or colometry test.

On the other hand this purification technique is only valid to eliminate non-alkaloid fillers/cuttings. If the 'heroin' contains caffeine, morphine, codeine, cocaine or other alkaloids, those will will pass through the purification process with heroin because those react similarly to heroin in an acid base extraction.

Sekio just read the article you posted. so have to do all that other stuff with muriatic acid and ether etc or can I just dissolve in water and add bicarbonate until it solidifies after dissolving? idk if all those chemicals are available in so cal. well at least the ether.

hopefully can find some ethyl ether and fent test strips. and thank you all for the help. trying to use as responsibly as possible until quitting occurs. tried methadone but must be allergic to it. gave an effect opposite to what tar helped with and gave excess energy and jitters. even at very low dose. which just about every other opiate does besides heroin, morphine and dilaudid. even norcos are like meth when taken. and weird enough meth is like a sleep aid in low doses. with the anxiety as bad as it is meth is hell with more than a few hits/lines. bodies weird I guess.

Last edited:
Sekio just read the article you posted. so have to do all that other stuff with muriatic acid and ether etc or can I just dissolve in water and add bicarbonate until it solidifies after dissolving? idk if all those chemicals are available in so cal. well at least the ether.

The article I posted is the one sekio is summarizing, it only requires hydrochloric acid, ammonium hydroxide and sodium bicarbonate. It doesn't require muriatic acid or ether.

I think if somehow the BTH is already a partial salt (?) and you only convert it to a base using the bicarbonate it will help purify it, for sure, but the base cuts will still remain.

I just read the article and the one you posted and both mentioned ethyl ether? am I reading something different? towards the bottom of the third paragraph if u include the bold first paragraph. oh and muriatic acid and hydrochloric are the same I guess the author said.

and just saw that caffeine will pass through the purification process which kinda sucks cuz that's what was trying to get rid of. maybe just try the water and bicarbonate to fully convert to a base and see what happens. thanks for the quick response too. been suffering over this for a while now. really just wanna quit but methadone like said has adverse reaction. I wonder if Suboxone would do the trick. just really over it and wanna sober up and move on with life. i believe in God and Jesus and I'm trying to live right. no judgements on anyone else for their choices I just know it's not right for me. I made a huge mistake getting myself into this to begin with. what I really need is a delorean, Christopher Lloyd and Michael j fox and a flux capasitor and my troubles would be over lol. this site and the people who give their time and efforts moderating are a godsend to alot of people too. over the years have read many things on here that have helped so thank you all for making a difference in at least one person's life.

Muriatic acid is an old fashioned name for hydrochloric acid.

Just curious, why 99%? I'm assuming there is a reason you listed both pH @ 99%.
The quick explanation is that pH is a logarithmic scale, every 1 pH unit is a tenfold change in acidity. pKa is the pH level where 50% is charged and 50% is not. So heroin at pH 8 is 50% salt form and 50% base. pH 7 would be about 90% salt form, pH 6 is 99% salt, pH 5 is 99.9%, etc.)

I just read the article and the one you posted and both mentioned ethyl ether?
The SWGDRUG monograph for heroin says heroin base is sparingly soluble in hexane and ether, and soluble in chloroform. I think it's soluble in toluene too. So you could try substituting toluene or naptha for the ethyl ether. You could also try methylene chloride or chloroform, but just remember those are heavier than water and will sink instead of float.

and just saw that caffeine will pass through the purification process which kinda sucks cuz that's what was trying to get rid of.
It shouldn't... the step where heroin base precipitates will leave the caffeine in the water layer,

Caffeine can be removed from heroin by extracting the aqueous solution of the heroin in salt form, preferably with either chloroform or dichloromethane.

Last edited:
thank you Sekio hopefully can get hands on at least one of those. have to do some research on Google. have alot more time and money then connects with decent product. sad day. heard in Canada people group together to buy opiates with known properties and no adulterants in large quantities for safety reasons. if stuff would just be legalized alot less people would be harmed with cut up product. then taxes could be used for rehabs and studies that went to helping people rather than imprisoning them.

The quick explanation is that pH is a logarithmic scale, every 1 pH unit is a tenfold change in acidity. pKa is the pH level where 50% is charged and 50% is not. So heroin at pH 8 is 50% salt form and 50% base. pH 7 would be about 90% salt form, pH 6 is 99% salt, pH 5 is 99.9%, etc.)

This makes so much sense. So it's fully possible most street drugs, like BTH, exist somewhere in this spectrum versus existing as absolutes. That would explain why some people report differences in water-solubility? So at pH 7, it's 90% salt and 10% base? Is pH 4, 100%? I see now what you meant in the other thread that a salt was slightly acidic, as well.