Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Public Consultation - Draft National Drug Strategy 2004-2009

nickthecheese

Bluelighter
Taken from
2.gif
here:
Your comment in response to Australia’s redeveloped Draft National Drug Strategic Framework – the National Drug Strategy 2004-2009 is now being sought.

This Strategy document builds upon the experience and success of its policy predecessor, the National Drug Strategic Framework 1998-99 to 2003-04, that has achieved a number of positive changes in the Australian drug environment. This success is a result of a co-ordinated and integrated contribution from governments, the non-government sector, business, communities, researchers and academia, and the range of individuals operating in the alcohol and other drugs field.

The Strategy is the responsibility of the Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy (MCDS), which is the peak policy and decision making body on licit and illicit drugs in Australia and brings together Commonwealth, State and Territory Ministers responsible for health and law enforcement.

The Ministerial Council has commissioned the development of a new strategy to take this valuable work forward for the next five years. In doing so, the Council wants to ensure that a full consultation process is undertaken to obtain a broad range of views.

Your participation in this very important consultation process is encouraged. Please examine the Draft Strategy and provide comments. Your comments will be valuable for informing the revision of the Strategy that is due to be considered by the Council in May.

quicklink to the proposed draft avaliable here
2.gif
.pdf (98k).

The website has an email address that you can send your comments to if you feel like commenting on the proposed draft.I had a quick squizz but didn't have time to read the whole thing...

The principle of harm minimisation has formed the basis of Australia’s drug strategies since its inception in 1985

8o news to me.

Heh, if only they were talking about our form of harm minimisation.

They're talking about minimising the harm drugs apparently do to families, individuals, quality of life, society, the economy, etc. And how are they talking about minimising it? Primarily "supply reduction" and "demand reduction". In other words, more stupid campaigns to convince kids that drugs are bad and more of the same police attention making it difficult for manufacturers and suppliers, in turn pushing them toward unsafe practices.

I've only skim read it, but I from what I can gauge this policy signals no change.

If they'd just accept that as we all know drugs are going to be used regardless of their legality, they could work with users to reduce harm instead of against them. Doesn't logic suggest working with your subject of interest is going to make it easier to achieve outcomes than working against them?!

i fail to understand how they think their zero policy is actually working. i think they're scared to try another approach should they be seen to be promoting drugs.

its quite obvious i'm sure for everyone on this board, that zero tolerance policy simply doesn't work. you're right apollo, they seem to try and minimise their version of harm, when so many of the problems that apparently stem from drug usage come from the harm inflicted by issues they ignore..

Its easier for the government to say "No" to drugs than have a harm minimisation program that will cost millions. You cant rely on the government to look after us. We have to stick together and look after our friends and pass on our knowledge. Some more education to the younger people is needed though. The government are too old fashioned and have to accept the drug culture,its not going to go away.

Apollo, there's a nomenclatural issue with the harm minimisation/reduction terms. As the government defines it, harm minimisation comprises the three prongs harm reduction, supply reduction and demand reduction.

Personally, I think it's a bloody joke that the Strategy uses two such obviously interchangeable terms for completely different drug control tactics. Just another manoeuvre by our policy makers to limit the ability of the public to make informed decisions and an unfortunate one, because as far as drug strategies go, there are many worse.

You know guys not all drugs are illegal! In fact statistics show that it is alcohol and tobacco that are the biggest killers.
Look outside the square you live in.
There are many legal drugs out there that when used incorrectly can cause damage to a person's body.
A drug is a substance that alters the way our mind and/or the way the body functions ( with the exception of food or water) - this meaning isn't word for word because I can't remember it.
The Drug Strategy is about education. And many blue lighters have pointed out in boards everywhere here that we need to be informed about what we put into our bodies. So do our kids. And that education begins at 5yrs old. The primary schools are working with communitities to develop programs to suit the needs of that particular community, for example there is a school in S.A. that developed programs re: the dangers of smoking cigarettes in the car and in the home with children present because that is a major concern for that community.
I am currently working in the drug strategy core team with my school, teachers and parents and kids in developing programs and policies. And our first two meetings have basically looked at legal drugs - in an attempt to raise awareness. Think about the legal drugs you have in your own home and what damage they could cause if used incorrectly.
The Drug Strategy Project encompasses many existing programs within schools. It is not something that stands alone but is integrated through out the curriculum.

Just wanted to make a note. That Harm minimisation is FAR from endorsment of drug "abuse". There seem to be a lack of classification of:

Medicinal Use
Recreational Use
Abuse

Of drugs.

Part of the drug initiative is to decrease the impact of drugs on the personal lives of the people. While also decreasing the demand for them and the availability of them.

So far the prohibitionist components of Drug Strategy have failed to succeed in their objectives. Drug availability is as great as it always was. Even after thirty years of the war on drugs.