• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Psuedoephedrine Vs. Methamphetamine psychoactivity

Well I there are defiantly two and probably three differences here, between eating an ephedrine pill and what you took.

1) Yohimbine. This alpha-2 receptor antagonist is peripherally and centrally acting. It will increase the amount of centraly and peripherally released noradrenaline. Increasing noradrenaline release is one of the major effects of methamphetamine.

2) Dose. You probably ingested shit loads of ephedrine vs a pill

3) There are other things in ephedra than ephedrine, and some of them will be active.

Re: psychostims and peripherally selective B-blockers

mitogen said:
bilZ0r and I were actually having a conversation about this on IRC quite a while ago. I ended up obtaining some atenolol a while ago, but I gave it to a friend (25mg) who was on a whole bunch of speed and sweating like a pig.

i was talking to a friend who reckons that if you start blocking the effects of catecholamines at adrenergic receptors that they'll start binding to other receptors which they also have affinity for and you get a whole plethora of side effects.

has anyone actually *tried* this (or know an uncle's plumber that has..)?
anyone got any ideas as to what the next highest receptor specificity of noradrenaline down from adrenergic R's is?

ah, i'm working at the lab at the moment so don't really have time to do the searches sorry, but I just thought i'd chuck the idea out there.

I'm really not advanced with the terminolgy here and such, but trying to keep up with this discussion as it goes along.
I'm curious what signifgance atenolol has with these two drugs, mainly becaues i did a test with them about a year ago.....for the specfic reason of seing if it effects the way psuedoephedrine works.

psuedoephedrine alone makes me drowsy...puts me to sleep.
atenolol alone, doesn't do much of anything.

Now, when i took psuedoephedrine while already on atenolol....
it had the reverse effects.
i was shakey, heart racing, insomina etc.

Maybe to you guys, this is technically the normal reaction of the two chemicals. I don't know, i couldn't explain to much further.

Just so its known, the reason for looking into this in the first place was over curiousty.
My father, who takes atenolol for a heart condition always argued how his heart raced etc. from psuedoephedrine meds.
(for the record, if he doesnt take atenolol at all, he also has these effects without taking any drugs)
So, i wanted to figure out at the time why we would react to this drug the exact opposite.
That drug seemed to be the reason as far as i know.

Sorry if this isn't the experience you had asked for, but figured maybe the tid-bit could contribute to your more advanced discussion on psuedoephedrine.

Last edited:
*shrug*

Somehow it reminds me of how some people report both nicotine or caffeine can make them sleepy. There must be some way that noradrenaline release has some kind of paradoxical effect of sleep/wake...

how about cerebral bloodflow? this paper: http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/1/83 which is a review of the pharmacology of caffeine, talks about how caffeine simultaneously reduces cerebral bloodflow and increases cellular energy metabolism. if you have low plasma glucose levels, the reduced bloodflow will make you feel tired. If your plasma glucose levels are high, you will be stimulated. Thats quite a crude explanation but read the paper - it's interesting. I think someone posted it on alt.drugs.chemistry a while back

BilZ0r said:
*shrug*

Somehow it reminds me of how some people report both nicotine or caffeine can make them sleepy. There must be some way that noradrenaline release has some kind of paradoxical effect of sleep/wake...

yeah, thats me.

Except that doesn't apply to stimulants such as d-amphetamine.
since that has to do with DA uptake and mode of action.

nicotine and caffeine are completly different compared to amphetamines.
read a couple of studies that explained the wake/sleep actions.

amphetamine still has massive action of NA release. And all three drugs mentioned have significant NA potentiating effects.

So what are these studies you speak of?