Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

psilocybin mushroom identification and related text list - australian

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
if those who have used any texts on psilocybin mushrooms could post them here with the following details, a title, author and isbn. if possible also a link to a bookstore which will give a basic idea of the price and the cover etc. unfortunately i dont own any of these texts so i cant give anymore information than what i already have. if you plan on buying a text buy it from the links below as the amazon links will support the shroomery. if anyone has anymore texts they can add, recommend, or comment on, please do so. i hope we can build a useful reference for those wanting australian specific texts.

a good place to look (however not very australian specific) is the shroomery bookstore list.

Stamets, Paul. "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide". ~$US22.75
recognised as the best general field guide to buy, if you only buy one, get this one.
from the shroomery: "This book is the best single resource for information about Psilocybin mushrooms. The book starts out with a brief history of the use of these mushrooms, and then moves on to a general review on their nature and habitat. There is an extensive section listing many different kinds of Psilocybe and similar mushrooms with a thorough description and photograph on most of them."

Menser, Gary. "Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom: Field Guide" ~$US11.17
not australian specific but inexpensive and apparently has some unique features.
from the shroomery "A reliable reference that shows readers how to identify, collect, and dry wild mushroom samples. Detailed, to scale line drawings accompany concise descriptions of the habitat of each species, along with information on its fruiting cycle and geographical range. The chemical qualities of both poisonous and psychoactive fungi are clearly explained. This unique book features: How to collect, identify, and dry samples, Useful keys and charts, Chemical qualities of psychoactive species, Genus and species detailed information, Taxonomy and identifying characteristics, Latin, microscopic and macroscopic glossaries, Fifty drawings and 32 color plates."

Arora, David. "Mushrooms Demystified" ~$US28.
seems to cover many species worldwide and covers many other areas regarding psilocybin mushrooms.
from the shroomery. "Nothing is more elusive and mysterious than the wild mushroom. David Arora celebrates the gathering and study of wild mushrooms with engaging style, wit and simple terminology. Mushrooms Demystified includes descriptions, photographs, and keys to over 2,000 species. There is a Beginner's Checklist of the 70 most distinctive and common mushrooms plus detailed chapters on terminology, classification, habitats, mushroom cookery, mushroom toxins, and the meanings of scientific mushroom names."

Allen. J. "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand" $free.
australian specific however im unable to find an online store with it for sale. it is reproduced on erowid in full via the link.

Wood. A. "Australian Mushrooms and Toadstools: How to Identify Them" ~$US7.95
australian specific book on mushrooms and toadstools, not sure if it contains psilocybin mushrooms. in limited print, but available through barnes and noble.

Young, Tony. "Common Australian Fungi: A Naturalist's Guide" ~$US10.95

Fuhrer. Bruce. "Field Companion to Australian Fungi" ~$AU24.95

Bougher, N."Fungi of Southern Australia". ~$US75.
southern australian specific. looks like an awesome reference to have, expensive though.
from the shroomery. "Introduces the reader to a broad sample of the fungi in Australia (typified by south-western representatives), offering both detailed botanical description and superb color illustration for each species described. The first six chapters provide an overview, detailing the climate, how species are described, how to collect and process fungi, and an outline of the main fungal groups. The final, largest, section provides detailed species descriptions, alphabetically arranged in the following five groups: Ascomycota; Phragmobasidiomycetes; and Holobasidiomycetes Groups 1, 2, and 3.

link to another page with a list of references for australian mushroom identification texts. not psilocybin specific.

Last edited:
added another resource. if anyone has any other sources they could add it would be appreciated :)

"Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide" Really is an excellent book which covers everything you could possibly want to know.

I have this book i find it quite good especially for identifying australian fungi - active/poisonous ;) or edible . I think you can get it from shroomery book store but not sure try amazon if that don't work.

"Common Australian Fungi: A Naturalist's Guide by Tony Young"

Anyone got anymore Australia specific web references other "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand"?
I didn't find that guide very helpful at all..

BUMP!

im going to try and pick up the "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" tomorrow. i'll have a peek and see if there is anything else that should be added...

*BUMP* Guess we're approaching winter again. Time to get out your book lists...

BigTrancer :)

Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide seriously is a awesome book. SHowing habitats, coloured pictures, spore/gill description etc.. everything you need to know, and even the poisenous looka-likes.

Buy it!
I got mine from amazon..

psilocybin mushrooms of the world?

is psilocybin mushrooms of the world a good reference for new zealand psilocybes? i only know one particular active species but see that the erowid article (psilocybe mushrooms of australia and new zealand) states there could be as many as 10 or more active new zealand species.
i really want to try other varieties as although the variety i have are strong it would be nice to know more varieties.
any info would be great cheers

its illegal in NZ

well just hoping evryone from NZ is aware that Psilocybe mushrooms of the world is actually an illegal book in New Zealand, ie illegal to own, distribute import or export from New Zealand and comes with a hefty fine or small prison term if found (under objectionable material - NZ censors)
cool
also if anyone has actually had any luck in bringing this book into New Zealand (via amazon etc) could they tell me cheers

ps is this book illegal in Australia?

^ I wasn't aware this was prohibited literature in NZ... thanks for the tip.

BigTrancer :)

I don't have anything else to add to the list that hasn't already been added... but for those of you in melb check out Polyester Books in Brunswick St, Fitzroy. (dont confuse it with the Polyester Record store further down, on the opposite side)

they have heaps of relevant books (drug related and other).... most of my drug library is from this store :) some fo the titles are wrapped in plastic, but ask nicely and one of the nice freaks working there will gladly open them up for you.

M

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_images1.shtml#psil-subaer

Check out the pics of Psilocybe Subaeruginosa here - they're probably the most common Psilocybe to grow around Melbourne / Victoria. Further up north you start to get Psilocybe Cubensis - which grow during summer (instead of April-May-June as for Subaeruginosa's).

Most of my mushroom research was done in libraries & the internet - I did not purchase one piece of literature on the subject.

Voodoo Gurl posted this in the 2004 Mushroom season thread - but some people still missed it. Not technically identification related, but important.

If you go collecting, not only should you be extremely careful and make sure that you are picking the right thing (take someone with you who knows what they are doing!) but also please remember:

Don't pick the pinheads (the small ones). As mushrooms age, the cap expands, flattens out and the spores are released. This is a good thing since the spores will grow into new mushrooms in future years. Try to pick caps that have already expanded and leave the little ones to mature!

Don't dig up or damage the "roots" of the mushroom. Simply pinch the stalk of the mushroom a bit beneath the cap so that don't disturb the underground vegetative material which will produce more mushrooms.

Have fun!

Mort