• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Prozac interferes with oxycodone entirely??

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
(PLEASE MOVE TO OTHER DRUGS AS FOR SOME REASON I CANNOT POST IN THAT FORUM I GET AN ERROR ALWAYS. THANKS)

So whenever I took Prozac, I noticed oxycodone didn't really work as well. I would take my normal dosage and still be in withdraw. Is this normal for oxycodone? What about hydrocodone?? When I searched online I read that oxycodone can slow down oxycodone (not sure if same for hydrocodone or not) metabolism and therefore make it stronger -- kinda like taking the grapefruit juice or Tagamet idea. But it didn't work like that..

Ex: When taking Prozac, I take my dosage of the pain meds. An hour passes and I'm STILL in withdrawal. Normally my withdrawal is stopped 20 to 30 mins after taking oxycodone (or hydrocodone) but when on Prozac over an hour passes and I'm still in withdraw. Problem is when on Prozac I'm still in mild withdraw an hour later, so I take another half or quarter of my normal dose to make the withdrawals stop as I get serve withdrawals much sooner than most people. I start the throwing up as soon as 6-12 hours with no dosage! So I have yet to wait say 1 1/2 hours to see it maybe the oxycodone just has an extreme delay in kicking in, but I'm unable to test it so if anyone knows or has experience I'd like to hear it!

Anyways just trying to wonder if this is normal. Is the Prozac just making the oxycodone take much longer than normal to kick in therefore the reason I'm still in withdraw? Unfortunately I haven't waited past the 1 mark because I wanted to end the miserable withdrawals. And unfortunately I don't have Prozac anymore, but was considering getting back on it as it's the only antidepressant that doesn't cause me side effects, but it definitely interacts with the oxycodone. But it seemed like it made it weaker causing more to need to take MORE oxycodone, which I don't want to do. Maybe I'm wrong as I never waited past around the 1 hour mark as I hate withdrawals so since normally they end 20 mins after I take my dosage I just automatically assumed something was wrong when an hour passes by and still was in withdraw so took another 1/2 dose. Would I be better off with hydrocodone or no difference really? Is Prozac suppose to delay the "kick in" time of oxyxodone?

Oxycodone gets metabolized into the more powerful Oxymorphone by your liver. If it takes longer for you to reach peak Oxymorphone levels (or the inhibition of specific enzymes favors the accumulation of other, less active or even antagonistic metabolites), then Fluoxetine could, conceivably, delay or ruin your Oxycodone buzz.

Last edited:
SSRI's enhance the opiate high for some people and dampen it for others. Prozac makes opiates more euphoric and addictive in my case, but I've heard many people claim the exact opposite. It could have something to do with liver enzymes or the "dulling" effect on emotions that some people get from SSRIs.

My codeine/tianeptine use doubled after a few weeks on Prozac, so I had to back off on the dose. All self-control was gone and I obsessed about opiates constantly despite my mood being better on the Prozac. Go figure.

I took Oxycodone several times while on Prozac and noticed no interference at all with either Oxy's medicinal pain effects or the high.

I never heard before that it can interfere with Oxycodone, but it certainly doesn't for everyone.

Well, the weird thing for me is if I started to take Prozac tomorrow morning at 10am, and again next day at 10am, and then on the second day took my oxycodone dosage at say 12 noon -- the Prozac is ALREADY delaying it's kick in. So I don't think it's the dulling of emotions effect because that takes weeks/months to happen.

My best guess is liver enezymes or it is not being broken down into it's bigger metabolite. But if that's the case, normally I can feel the oxycodone peak at 25
to 30 mins when not taking Prozac. Would it have converted over to oxymorohone that quickly?? If not, then I don't think the oxymorohone is any of the problem. Hm.

Will hydrocodone not get affected as much as oxycodone with Prozac?? Not sure if hydro is broken down by same liver enzymes or not, and since it's broken down into hydromorphone maybe Prozac doesn't affect it as much? Lastly: what about Effexor ER? Would that be less likely to interact with oxycodone since I believe Effexor works on different liver enzymes.