• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Propranolol works wonders for kratom withdrawal restlessness!

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
As I've mentioned many times in recent years, I've been struggling with a ridiculous addiction to kratom. I've tried several different tapering strategies, many comfort meds and combinations there of, and just about every strategy to get my kratom use back in check. While I've had some successes in the short term, I've eventually caved in to the restlessness in every instance.

After becoming increasingly frustrated with my lack of success, I went to my doctor to ask if there was anything he could prescribe for a horrible restlessness I've been experiencing without bringing the kratom into the discussion. He said either propranolol or clonidine would be good candidates, but that the propranolol is a better tolerated and has less of a blood pressure depressing effect, so we went with that at 10mg 3x daily to titrate up from there as needed so long as I was comfortable with the side effect profile.

I wanted to gauge the amount of restlessness reduction it had at that low dose. After taking my 25g morning dose, I waited until around 3pm when I generally take my 2nd 25g of the day, I took 20mg of propranolol in lieu of my kratom dose and felt no physical discomfort whatsoever when normally, I'd have been absolutely miserable by the time it kicked in. I took what would have normally be my 3rd 25mg dose around 10PM, which is later than normal. And felt good. By around 3AM, I normally take my 4th 25g of kratom, but took 40mg of propranolol instead.

Again, despite some mental cravings, I was entirely comfortable physically. I actually slept better than normal and didn't wake up from craving kratom.

It's only the 2nd day, but I went with the same dosage regimen today and felt fine all day. I'm going to continue taking this same dose of kratom for the next few days to see if the restlessness comes back as the residual amount of kratom metabolites in my system decrease, but, theoretically, if all continues to go this well, I could be at my current target dose of less than 30g/day, a full 70% reduction from where I was a couple of days ago.

For anyone out there struggling with serious kratom addiction, propranolol is the most promising med I've tried and might just be what I've been missing in my quest to get control of my kratom habit. I'll update this thread periodically to let anyone interested how well this ends working longer term. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
So far, I'm not experiencing any additional discomfort as the residual levels of kratom metabolites in my system get cleared and my levels stabilize at my current dose like I was concerned about. If all goes well tonight, I'm going to try lowering my morning dose by 1g daily until I can comfortably cut it down to 10g in the morning, then I'll stabilize there before deciding whether to try to cut out my morning dose entirely or start lowering my nightly dose. Either way, this is the most hope I've had during my entire struggle.

If you're suffering from an absurdly strong kratom addiction, really, give propranolol a try. Theres still mental cravings to contend with, but the restlessness that was always the cause of my previous failures is entirely absent. Hopefully, it'll be as effective for others!

So glad I flushed mine or I might have this as a concern I simply don't need with what else I have going on like nicotine withdrawal I am losing a battle to in about a hour once they uncage me here

Actually threw it over mulch trying to be more environmentally conscious.

Thanks for this warning I needed to see it I keep getting closer to becoming hooked every single new bag I get.

I'm now comfortably stabilized at 20g in the morning and 20g at night. That's as close as I've come to getting my habit back under 30g/day, and so close that I can almost taste it. Here's to progress!

I'm now on day 5 of 30g/day of kratom, split to 10g in the morning and 20g at night and I feel like I'm stabilizing well at this dose, though watching the clock in the last hour or two before my nightly dose exposes marked time dilation, which is a bitch. Still, going to 30g/day from as high as 100g/day over a period this short is worth celebrating and I'm damn proud I stuck to my taper and all has gone well. There are, however, a few things that people should know about utilizing this method to get their habits under control:
1. The taper gets much more difficult as you get to closer to the target dose.
2. I'm also on lyrica, clonazepam, mirtazapine and tizanidine daily which likely played a role in potentiation of my propranolol's efficacy.
3. I've had to raise my propranolol dose to 30mg 3x/day as my kratom dose has dropped.
4. There are still very strong mental cravings to deal with. Distractions are a must to get through the day.

My next goal is to phase out my daytime dose entirely to only need a single dose each day. I'll continue to update this thread periodically so others can glean information from my experiences.

Here's to the next step....