• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Propofol (Diprivan)

Jay123

Bluelighter
I'm never gonna let anyone give me this shit again. I woke up from the anaesthesia with a nasty headache. Turns out it's an oil. I've never heard of an oil being injected! This shit can't be good.

...an emulsion of a soya oil/propofol mixture in water.

1% propofol, 10% soybean oil and 1.2% purified egg phospholipid (emulsifier), with 2.25% of glycerol as a tonicity adjusting agent, and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH. Diprivan contains EDTA as an antimicrobial agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol

This is the current most popular anaesthetic.

I've taken this shit when i made a plastic surgery. And a can tell u: i felt no pleasure! stay away from this shit. it can easily kill u!
good luck!

^ Yes, I think it would be extremely dangerous regarding overdose.

My only experience with this stuff is when I dislocated my shoulder as well as breaking it. You have to picture this....I weighed about 230lbs from working out and juicing for years....the fucking pain was incredible tearing ligaments, tendons, and muscle in addition to breaking my shoulder.

Anyhow.... I think it is a miracle drug if used for it's intended. When they 'put me out' it seemed like I suddenly woke up and everything was positioned and packaged. it felt like a miracle. No more pain. They tell me I was never out but I don't remember any of it. Wonder what I said. I think this stuff is along the lines of sodium pentathal (sp?)

I wouldn't play with it recreationally. The window to OD is pretty fine and it would just be too risky IMO.

what is the point of this thread? no general anesthetic is completely safe. that's why they make you sign those waivers before giving them to you. you woke up with a headache? omg poor you. obviously, no one has ever experienced a worse reaction to a drug before. 8)

you say "this is the current most popular anesthetic" as if it shouldn't be or something. well what do you propose should be used instead and why?

^ I reckon we better go back to diethyl ether. ;)

The doc giving you propofol is a professional. If you don't trust your doctor, find another one. Propofol is a 100% legitimate medication. Its an emulsion in oil because it is not water soluble. It doesn't make a big difference.

The oil is emulsified so its ok to inject, otherwise it wouldn't be available as a medication. I came into this thread because I was terrified that some dumbass was trying to abuse Propofol.

Jay123 said:
I'm never gonna let anyone give me this shit again. I woke up from the anaesthesia with a nasty headache. Turns out it's an oil. I've never heard of an oil being injected! This shit can't be good.

...an emulsion of a soya oil/propofol mixture in water.

1% propofol, 10% soybean oil and 1.2% purified egg phospholipid (emulsifier), with 2.25% of glycerol as a tonicity adjusting agent, and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH. Diprivan contains EDTA as an antimicrobial agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol

This is the current most popular anaesthetic.
its called milk of anesthesia and ill give you a bit of info on it from wiki as im in undergraduate of biology to be an anesthesiologist
wikipedia said:
Propofol is a water-immiscible oil and so is painful to inject. Originally developed by ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) as ICI 35868, initial clinical trials followed in 1977 in a form solubilised in cremophor EL. However, due to anaphylactic reactions it was withdrawn from the market and subsequently reformulated as an emulsion of a soya oil/propofol mixture in water. This was re-launched in 1986 by AstraZeneca with the brand name Diprivan (shortened version of DI-isoPRopyl IV ANesthetic). The current preparation is 1% propofol, 10% soybean oil and 1.2% purified egg phospholipid (emulsifier), with 2.25% of glycerol as a tonicity adjusting agent, and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH. Diprivan contains EDTA as an antimicrobial agent. Newer generic formulations contain sodium metabisulfite or benzyl alcohol. Propofol emulsion appears as a highly opaque white fluid due to the scattering of light from the tiny (~150 nm) oil droplets that it contains.
its what they use for anesthesia unless you having surgery daily get over it.

I had it used on me recently, in combination with fentanyl, for induction when going in for knee surgery.

Coming out of that, for about 10 minutes was absolute heaven.

even tho thus stuff I dont feel has any recreactional value, it is becoming the most widely abused drug by anesthesiologists, despite not being an opiates and providing no euphoria and isnt controlled. I read it in my dads anesthesia magazine; guess they like to check the fuck out after a rough day or something...also popular maybe cuz it lasts like 15, similar to fent in length

It's a knockout punch. I went into surgery (in the OR) and the doc said "let me give you some more versed" (that was the 4th shot I got that morning, must have a benzo tolerance from hell bec. I didn't feel shit). It seemed like the blink of an eye and I asked the doc, "when are you going to give me the propofol?" He said "honey, the surgery's over". Then I said, "are you sure?" LOL I swear, a blink of an eye. Bec. I was on suboxone and they didn't want to give me Fent with it, I woke up almost completely sober within 5 min. Not recreational.

No one seems to have mentioned that the injection is so unbelievably painful that even it were of the best rec highs known to man, I'd never do it again. I had a broken nose fixed under general (profolol, alphamethylfentanyl, gas of some sort) and when they put the profolol into the IV, it starts getting slightly painful at the site of injection (hand veins). Then the pain goes up your arms and gets so bad that by the time it reaches your shoulder, you can't take it any more. I can still remember the pain, and the doctors said it would had to have been pretty bad for me to remember it after being put out.
I've heard doctors (anaesthesiologists) do use this recreationally, so I assume like ketamine, its safe to infuse then lie back and let it do its job.
And to OP: a headache? You'd be worse off with a PCP analog they used back in the 60s... a headache aint shit

sunset117 said:
even tho thus stuff I dont feel has any recreactional value, it is becoming the most widely abused drug by anesthesiologists, despite not being an opiates and providing no euphoria and isnt controlled. I read it in my dads anesthesia magazine; guess they like to check the fuck out after a rough day or something...also popular maybe cuz it lasts like 15, similar to fent in length

it does provide euphoria. i had it (and it alone) in the hospital once and when i woke up i was in a very euphoric state. it's a very sedated type euphoria though, where all you want to do is cuddle with your pillow.

djsim said:
No one seems to have mentioned that the injection is so unbelievably painful that even it were of the best rec highs known to man, I'd never do it again. I had a broken nose fixed under general (profolol, alphamethylfentanyl, gas of some sort) and when they put the profolol into the IV, it starts getting slightly painful at the site of injection (hand veins). Then the pain goes up your arms and gets so bad that by the time it reaches your shoulder, you can't take it any more. I can still remember the pain, and the doctors said it would had to have been pretty bad for me to remember it after being put out.
I've heard doctors (anaesthesiologists) do use this recreationally, so I assume like ketamine, its safe to infuse then lie back and let it do its job.
And to OP: a headache? You'd be worse off with a PCP analog they used back in the 60s... a headache aint shit

i don't recall the injection being particularly painful. i've read that it can be, but it wasn't for me.

Yea i have heard that its so painful to inject that have to give you something first. It looks pretty thick tho, emulsified oil in the vein doesnt sound too pleasant.

medicine cabinet said:
Yea i have heard that its so painful to inject that have to give you something first. It looks pretty thick tho, emulsified oil in the vein doesnt sound too pleasant.

maybe thats what the alphamethylfentanyl was for! The pain was so much worse than any reset broken nose could ever be. It's like your arm is freezing slowly. But the pain... urggh! I know not everyone experiences it though because the doc said "some people find it painful"

when i took this shit, the doctor said: start counting 1, 2, 3, 4 ... i don't remember counting any numbers after number 2. complete blackout! to dangerous to play... this one is serious shit! avoid it!

^ Thats the point. It puts you under fast. As gethigh said above, unless you get surgery every day, don't worry about it.

Mind you, that the doses these docs are giving you are for general aneasthesia. No one using it recreationally would use a dose that large.

I personally would only use fospropofol. There's a new orally active sub-aneasthetic propofol pro-drug intended for migraine treatment that is in stage III trials (I think, maybe it was IIb?). If it is prescribed much, it'll end up being scheduled because just about everyone who has experience with it (and likes depressants) upon waking up says it's wonderful.

I don't doubt them.

They gave me propofol w/ fentanyl when I had surgery. I was just fine :)

djsim said:
No one seems to have mentioned that the injection is so unbelievably painful that even it were of the best rec highs known to man, I'd never do it again. I had a broken nose fixed under general (profolol, alphamethylfentanyl, gas of some sort) and when they put the profolol into the IV, it starts getting slightly painful at the site of injection...

^^^What is this guy talking about? a-Methylfentanyl was never used in medicine, in fact, it is a C-I drug and has never seen its way into a hospital. Also, unless significant surgery was involved, it is somewhat unlikely they would use fentanyl or a fentanyl derivative. For whatever reason, I don't think they gave you propofol, "AMF" and on top of that, some sevo/desflurane...

Jesus...

Also, for most people, propofol doesnt hurt that much when injected. And in my experience, the euphoria was not that great when waking, although it was barb like. IV pentobarb seemed like alot more fun, but I never self-administered propofol in low dosages...