• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Proper Tapering off of Lexapro/Wellbutrin

Abstraction

Greenlighter
Hey guys, so i have been on Lexapro (cipralex) for about 7 months now, 10 mg's a day, and 150 mg's of Wellbutrin SR (slow release, from Canada) a day for about 3 weeks. Im trying to get off both, for personal reasons, so whats my best plan of attack?

I have already started to taper the Lexapro, i went from 10 mg's a day to 5 mg's a day and i have been taking 5mg's a day for about a week and a half. How much longer should i keep at 5 mg's a day before i switch to 5 mg's every 2 days? Or does anyone have a really got Lexapro taper plan they can share? I would prefer to avoid the worst of the withdrawl symptoms.

As for the Wellbutrin SR, since im on such a low does (150 mgs a day) can i just go cold turkey? I know you probably aren't supposed to cut SR pills in half so i dont really know how to taper off of this.... Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Up to you

Hey guys, so i have been on Lexapro (cipralex) for about 7 months now, 10 mg's a day, and 150 mg's of Wellbutrin SR (slow release, from Canada) a day for about 3 weeks. Im trying to get off both, for personal reasons, so whats my best plan of attack?

I have already started to taper the Lexapro, i went from 10 mg's a day to 5 mg's a day and i have been taking 5mg's a day for about a week and a half. How much longer should i keep at 5 mg's a day before i switch to 5 mg's every 2 days? Or does anyone have a really got Lexapro taper plan they can share? I would prefer to avoid the worst of the withdrawl symptoms.

As for the Wellbutrin SR, since im on such a low does (150 mgs a day) can i just go cold turkey? I know you probably aren't supposed to cut SR pills in half so i dont really know how to taper off of this.... Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

I've never been on either but I have been addicted to Oxy's, about 40-50 a day, 30 mg. And before I knew about suboxone, I tapered off from 40 to 1 a day! And it took a little over a Month to do. I stared taking 39 the day I decided I would stop and then I took 38 and so on and so forth until I got down to 1 a day. It's really whatever makes you feel comfortable during the process of stopping. I'm not a doctor but I dont believe there is a designated way to stop and drug you are taking. Again, it's however you feel comfortable during the process and I commend you for trying to stop

Ps

And It's not recommended by a doctor to cut a SR I'm half but you def can. The only thing that you'll notice is that whatever affect it has ok you(again I've never been on the pills you are speaking of) it will happen quicker and more powerfully but if you're only taking half than it will probably just feel like you took a whole one(that's the way it is for most pills)

One of the really good things about Wellbutrin is that it doesn't have any typical withdrawal syndrome like the SSRI's. It's really the lexapro that will give you a withdrawal. However, Lexapro is supposed to be one of the easier SSRI's to cease using. Do you normally get a w/d after skipping doses of lexapro?? If you haven't thus far, don't assume you will. I start and stop SSRI's all the time and, while the w/d can be mildly annoying, it's hardly disruptive. However, we all respond to these things differently so....

One of the really good things about Wellbutrin is that it doesn't have any typical withdrawal syndrome like the SSRI's. It's really the lexapro that will give you a withdrawal. However, Lexapro is supposed to be one of the easier SSRI's to cease using. Do you normally get a w/d after skipping doses of lexapro?? If you haven't thus far, don't assume you will. I start and stop SSRI's all the time and, while the w/d can be mildly annoying, it's hardly disruptive. However, we all respond to these things differently so....

Well since i have been on lexapro for 7 months, if i go more than 2-3 days (rare) without my dose i get pretty aggressive brain zaps and real bad dizziness so i assume if i don't taper properly i will be facing withdrawl symptoms. I know i have to taper slow with SSRI's, but 5 mgs a day doesnt give me any withdrawl symptoms which is good, so i wonder when i should move to 5 mgs every other day.

And as for Wellbutrin, im not so sure that it doesn't have withdrawl symptoms. Im more curious as to whether or not it has withdrawl symptoms at such a low dose. I have heard people who take like 300-600 mgs a day can be at risk for stroke, etc..

I'm not that familiar with people tapering off Lexapro and Wellbutrin at the same time, although I have heard of doctors tapering one and then the other.

My recommendation is to taper the Lexapro first, and then work on the Wellbutrin...

Well since i have been on lexapro for 7 months, if i go more than 2-3 days (rare) without my dose i get pretty aggressive brain zaps and real bad dizziness so i assume if i don't taper properly i will be facing withdrawl symptoms. I know i have to taper slow with SSRI's, but 5 mgs a day doesnt give me any withdrawl symptoms which is good, so i wonder when i should move to 5 mgs every other day.

And as for Wellbutrin, im not so sure that it doesn't have withdrawl symptoms. Im more curious as to whether or not it has withdrawl symptoms at such a low dose. I have heard people who take like 300-600 mgs a day can be at risk for stroke, etc..

I can tell you for certain that wellbutrin doesn't have a withdrawal syndrome associated with it. That doesn't mean YOU won't feel something but me and my brother have been on and off it a few times and there has been no problem. Furthermore, my friend who is a family practice doctor loves to prescribe it because of the lack of sexual side-effects and no withdrawal.

I have indeed had the brain zaps from SSRI's. For me they're a minor annoyance and I've never had a problem coming off them. But then again, I've been through the horror of opiate w/d and I'm probably comparing it to that.