• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers proofreading and copy editing

tathra

bluelighter
does anyone have any experience in media or journalism that relates to copy editing and proofreading?

I currently do freelance work proofing and copy editing translated manga scripts, to ensure the scripts are free of errors and readable before they're typeset and published, and I'd like to move into paid freelance work or some kind of paid position for the kind of work I'm already doing. a graphic novel publisher like Viz or Dark Horse would ofc be ideal in the future, but I'd like to get some more experience first

does anybody have suggestions on places to get hooked up with freelance gigs, or information on what I'd need to include with my resume? like do I need a portfolio of my work, and which would I use for it, the finished, typeset product or the finalized scripts? or any other relevant information that could help me out

My first career was in the NYC publishing business. In-house and freelance. But my experience is more than 25 years out of date.

That said, it used to be that you would contact a publishing house and ask about freelance work, they'd give you a proofreading or copyediting test, and you'd proceed -- or not proceed -- from there. Why not start with the companies whose work you enjoy? I had a lot of fun editing SF/fantasy.

a publishing house? I'll start there then. I think I saw something about Viz hiring freelancers but I might be mistaking that for their intern hiring program

I've also started trying to get contact info for newspapers, tv stations, and other media, but what I'm really hoping for is that there's like some kind of "hub" site or group to get started quickly and easily instead of having to do a whole bunch of legwork just to get started

I don't know about current support/resources, but when I did it, I just went for it. I researched/found contact names, then I read the proofreading section of Chicago Manual of Style for notation and took the the proofreading test. I worked to move quickly into copyediting, a better gig, and approached it the same way: just asked for work. Once I was established with a particular production editor, there was usually a steady flow of manuscripts to keep me busy. I always worked with a couple publishers simultaneously.

These guys helped me a lot.
I currently do freelance work with Japanese translators to polish their scripts and make them the best they can be before it's published, and I'm trying to gain more connections to work with more translators and publishers, and also get paid for it

publishers sometimes use interns to do one of the proofs on a manuscript. these internships can be remote. i haven't done it but know people who work in publishing who have. some people might find the idea of being sent stacks of pages to read and edit boring. but if you're interested in publishing, it might sound like an easy way of gaining experience to list on your resume. and some contacts.

I currently do freelance work with Japanese translators to polish their scripts and make them the best they can be before it's published, and I'm trying to gain more connections to work with more translators and publishers, and also get paid for it

Sounds like some good advice in this thread.

I would add that the more you can network and, as you have done here, reach out to as many people as you can then the greater your chances.

Often a good way to get your foot in the door is to target the particular places your really keen on and volunteer your services for a period of time. Even if it doesnt lead anywhere you will have gained from the all round experience but getting that foot in the door gives you the opportunity to really sell yourself, your work ethic, your personality, your expertise, etc etc.

Oh and thanks for teaching me something new today........ I googled manga scripts.

Good luck and keep this in mind................
“When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter
hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as
much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first
blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that last
blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”

I've also started trying to get contact info for newspapers, tv stations, and other media, but what I'm really hoping for is that there's like some kind of "hub" site or group to get started quickly and easily instead of having to do a whole bunch of legwork just to get started

you can try Upwork or Fiverr, it's a slough at first and you have to compete for low compensation to get off the ground but it's the easiest way to start gaining a reputation that can be parlayed into real opportunities