View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Prolonging the Nitrous experience.

Hilopsilo

Bluelighter
After having my first experience with adding nitrous to psychedelic trips this past summer, I've been trying to think of how I could possibly delve deeper into this experience.

In my most profound experience, using a cracker dispenser I managed to inhale 4 cartridges consecutively (taking TWO breaths of oxygen in between) for a single experience. Basically I would release 2 cartridges into the cracker, load in a third cartridge but not release, inhale, immediately release the third cartridge and load the fourth, exhale (+2 breaths of fresh oxygen), inhale second, and I'd just barely be able to unload the third, load in and release a fourth cartridge, take my two breaths of fresh air, and inhale the fourth before being cast into the beyond.

I was sort of meditating by river in a forest, and so long as I was taking my two breaths of fresh air to respect my body (I repeated the words in my head each time; "one for the body, one for the mind", I find the nitrous experience dulled by holding your breath way too long or not getting air, it just gets lightheaded and lacks clarity), I felt as if I could potentially delve further and further into infinity.

Alas, it becomes impossible (not to mention distracting from the experience) to keep loading cartridges indefinitely this way. There is also my concern about how oxygen is absorbed by the lungs, I don't know much about it. My breaths of oxygen were deep, full and not rushed, but after many nitrous hits maybe thats still oxygen deprivation, what do I know.

Basically, I want to find a SAFE (I repeat, SAFE) way to consume nitrous for a prolonged period of time, like you would at the dentist. According to this website (http://justsayn2o.com/nitrous.dangers.html), at the dentist you receive "generally 70% N2O to 30% oxygen. This is equivalent to the amount of oxygen in room air -- but the nitrogen has been replaced by nitrous oxide.". If you haven't had it at the dentist, you basically just lay back in the chair and they put a small gas mask over just your nose and you just breath normally. It's wonderful, I've had the same dentist all my life, they're really nice and crank up the nitrous pretty much as high as I want (they ask me every 10 minutes to give them a thumbs up or down if I want more). Makes getting a filling at the dentists a pretty good 45 minutes.

I've received it many times at the dentist, but alas, I'm not under the influence of MDMA+LSD when I'm at the dentist (lol), and that is crucial to making nitrous novel and more than completely useless (IMO).

I don't have a tank, nor the apparatus they use at the dentist to administer a calculated oxygen:N2O mix. But to be able to relax, not have to worry about a cracker, lay back and inhale a safe mixture of oxygen and N2O while under the influence of a psychedelic, for as long as I want, is priceless. The most I've gotten is 3 or 4 lung-fulls of nitrous I imagine might not be 100% N2O anyways.

I understand in some places tanks are available (certainly not where I'm from, I've never heard of it), but often with those people just fill up balloons anyways. I've never heard of anyone having, as they call it at my dentist, a "rabbit nose" as well as some way of regulating oxygen:N20 reliably.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

Even a single lung of nitrous on a psychedelic is powerful, but I get giddy just thinking of the possibilities. And even if I had a friend who was a dentist who would give me the keys to sneak in after hours and experiment, a dentists office at night does not sound like somewhere I'd like to trip
8)

Last edited:
Find someone with a tank connection instead of using the canisters; medical grade is much more euphoric and safer than the food grade anyways. Instead of using balloons connect a garden hose or some other hose directly to the tank, then you can just rest your hand on the valve and administer as needed. This will allow for much more physical relaxation (since you aren't moving your body back and forth filling up those canisters every few minutes), usually starting after about at least the first half hour or so, and will IMMENSELY potentiate the effects of nitrous, making it great even without being on any psychedelics

^ I have to say that sounds incredibly fun. I am do for a big trip with nitrous. It has been years.

I had 4 root canals at once some years back, sat in a chair for 3 1/2 hours with headphones on listening to the Beatles. The doc said he was going to put the nitrous on max. This was a period that I could take a hit of acid and go to work (those days are gone). So I took a hit about 7 hours before the procedure and basically had something similar to a NDE when I got there and first had the nitrous administrated. . Then it was 3 hours of mind journeying. So that prolonged nitrous with a psychedelic was very interesting. From then on I had to use canisters with balloons. That does work very well but is not prolonged. My only way of prolonging was filling a few balloons and clamping them to keep the nitrous in it and doing one after the other.

Yeah a tank is supreme, it can be costly but a 10l with a few friends makes the best of nights.

It is not something worth prolonging in my experience. You can combine a hit of nitrous with a bunch of other psychedelics and you'll not come out of it for a while, been there done that. Just enjoy the 30-60 second effect if I have to say so myself.

Ymmv of course..
I eat very healthy including alot of organ meats and other b12 high foods.
If im doing a gas binge i will def load up before and after.

I know alot of gas heads and only personally met 2 that had any long lasting problems from abusing it.
Both did big amounts several times per week etc.

Not downplaying the riscs cause there is certainly some people getting permanent nerve issues from doing it.

Another good reason to avoid being a vegan i guess.
Animal foods is the only natural source of b12 and have alot better absorbation compared to the synthetic stuff.
Esp the cheap cyanocobalamin that most buy.
Use methyl b12 if you need to go the supplement route or another of the more expensive stuff.

Be careful if you plan on using a mask. Always have a sitter.

Using a mask is the only way you can die from nos.

I used to load several balloons and do then one after the other until collapsing/fitting out, lol

We would do close to the same thing. Inhale until black out is iminent and then jump on our bicycles and wheelie down the parking lot until nobody is standing! Lol fun times.

I've had nitrous mixed with oxygen at the dentist and while I like it a lot and kind of do wish I had a 50/50 Nitrous/Oxygen tank, and it's WAY safer, I honestly would say I get WAY higher using nitrous with either a whip cream dispenser or cracker.

Honestly, if you want to be able to do ballon after balloon consecutively for a long time you don't want a cracker you want a whip cream dispenser.

Constantly twisting the cracker when only one cartridge fits in it at a time and it gets all cold gets annoying and ridiculous.

With a whip cream dispenser you can just put a whole bunch of cartridges in and keep loading them into the balloon and then it it and it's SOO much easier.

The most cartridges I ever fit in one ballon with a dispenser (or otherwise) was 7.

It is totally possible to "trip" on nitrous and make the experience last an hour or two hours or more if you want with very little time of actually being sober in between, and I have done it, but it MUST be awful for you in terms of B-12 and killing brain cells and all that.....but IMO if you do it like a couple times a year you will still be ok....like one STRONG 1-2 hour nitrous binge like every 4-6 months....maybe 3 times a year max, I think you can be ok....I mean I'm still alive hahahaha.

The last time I did it I was SUPER high on multiple substances: VERY drunk on red wine and whisky, high as hell after smoking a bunch of weed and was also on Phenibut, Kratom, and a little Kava Kava tincture. The combo was VERY nice, both by itself and with nitrous.

I sat there with the dispenser and loaded as many cartridges into each balloon as I could, averaging about 5 cartridges per balloon, and then tied up the ends of the balloons and just put them to the side till I was surrounded by about 10 giant nitrous filled balloons HAHAHAA (I mean they ARE punch balloons and are meant to stay tied for a while for kids parties and stuff).

Then once I had enough balloons full (I'm not sure it was 10, but I must have started with a good 7 or 8 full balloons), I just put on some trippy music on my headphones and started going at them one after the other....of course taking as many breaths as necessary between inhalations....I mean usually taking about 2 breaths to finish each balloon....

....Then when I started to get low on full balloons and just kept filling more and more balloons with the dispenser and inhaling as fast as I could so there would be as little lag time as possible.

I honestly must have been doing it for about 2 hours once with only brief moments of not being on any nitrous at all and would consider it very much like tripping: the experience would come in waves...sometimes being more and sometimes less intense as some balloons wore off and others kicked in.

By the time I was done I felt I had left the earth lol...

LOTS of fun, though annoying to have to reload the dispenser but if you do it right and get fast at it and tie up lots of balloons BEFORE you start it's not so bad.

Of course I must have killed BILLIONS of brains cells and fucked with my B-12, but I haven't done that for like 3 years and don't plan on it anytime soon.

I actually broke that dispenser and only have crackers now cause I was super drunk while using it and was grinding the inside plastic part so much when trying to fill the balloons that I wore away the plastic part that is necessary to hold the cartridges so it wouldn't work anymore and I had to throw it out.

If/when I feel like doing nitrous again I'll buy another dispenser and not waste time with using a hand cracker which just gets really tedious.

Last edited:
I did nitrous by itself before i ever did it on something. I really like it by itself. It's incredible mixed.

I literally shed a tear after my first pull of nitrous on acid. It was so incredibly awesome that I knew I was gonna be chasing the dragon on that feeling for the rest of my tripping days. It was like I took a pill to give me the perfect trip but it only lasted 10 seconds. Heart Breaking.

Me and my friends usually just suck it straight from the cracker. We don't even worry about balloons. I doubt that it's the safest way to do it, though.

I did nitrous by itself before i ever did it on something. I really like it by itself. It's incredible mixed.

I literally shed a tear after my first pull of nitrous on acid. It was so incredibly awesome that I knew I was gonna be chasing the dragon on that feeling for the rest of my tripping days. It was like I took a pill to give me the perfect trip but it only lasted 10 seconds. Heart Breaking.

Me and my friends usually just suck it straight from the cracker. We don't even worry about balloons. I doubt that it's the safest way to do it, though.

You suck it straight from the cracker or from a whip cream dispenser?

Either way that could be REALLY dangerous.

Doing it from a cracker I don't know how you don't freeze your lungs the gas is so cold, and that could perhaps happen with a dispenser.

I have also heard that doing that with a dispenser can be very dangerous as if you put too many cartridges in and inhale too fast your lungs could explode.

Doing either sounds VERY dangerous to me and is something I'd never do.

You suck it straight from the cracker or from a whip cream dispenser?

Either way that could be REALLY dangerous.

Doing it from a cracker I don't know how you don't freeze your lungs the gas is so cold, and that could perhaps happen with a dispenser.

I have also heard that doing that with a dispenser can be very dangerous as if you put too many cartridges in and inhale too fast your lungs could explode.

Doing either sounds VERY dangerous to me and is something I'd never do.

Yeah I've heard that, but it kind of sounds like a myth. That sounds like a gnarly way to die.

I do know people that turn blue for a couple seconds afterwards, though. Their lips do, anyway.

And yeah, straight from the spout of a dispenser for homemade whip cream. Usually load 3 chargers into it, pull the trigger and take it all with one exhale/inhale of fresh air in between.

Last edited:
I aint gonna lie i used to suck straight from the whip cream dispenser. Sucking down 3 or 4 at a time with one inhale. I did have an exceptionally large one though. Not sure if that made a difference or not but i never jad any problems.

I've generally done it straight from the whip cream dispenser (all my friends do and the first time I did it was with these friends), I can't even imagine doing it straight from a cracker as it literally freezes the end of the balloon when you crack it. In the whip cream canister at least it raises temperature some if you don't do it immediately because it's much less pressurized once it's in the larger space. But yeah I actually started to get this thing where every time I'd do nitrous, I would feel what felt like shards of ice form in the back of my throat and lungs, and I could feel them melting and dripping water into my lungs. I could never tell if it was a hallucination or not, but it freaked me out. I started dispensing into balloons and I never had the problem again. It's simply a fact that it comes out cold enough to freeze things, you can see it for yourself if you use one of those metal crackers that you fit the balloon over. The whole thing gets too cold to even touch and covered in frost.

I always suck it straight from the tank/dispenser.
Never had any issues whatsover, however ymmw

Wow this got bumped lol

Anyways, ended up buying the largest size of dispenser i could find which comfortably fit 4-5 carts at once. This way I can just make a really big balloon and "sip" on it as I please. I can almost create my own 50-50 oxygen nitrous mix in my lung this way lol, but maybe it doesn't work like that. Still, this allows for a bit more control and this way you don't have to bother anyone for the dispenser every 5 minutes nor will you be bothered. Nothing like "HEY CAN I BORROW THE NANGINATOR" thrown into the middle of your candyflip whippit...

This "technique" has allowed me to go deep-er with nitrous and certainly makes the experience more cohesive and less fiendish. i think the nitrous craving at least in a psychedelic state has to do with FUCK JUST LET ME FINISH THAT THOUGHT--- and this allows you to follow through a bit more. It still usually ends up as something completely indescribable, but it allows you to realize it is indescribable and that is the beauty of it, you end up more satisfied and not chasing some psychedelic dragon. The whole experience becomes slightly less fleeting, but just as intense, you can feel it out and delve as deep as you feel comfortable.

I think the freezing lungs with a DISPENSER thing is simply people using CRACKER and DISPENSER interchangeably. I don't think you could freeze your lungs inhaling straight from the DISPENSER, its just far too common of a consumption method, nitrous is probably done this way hundreds of thousands of times every year and not a single case of frozen lungs. OTOH, inhaling directly from a CRACKER is most certainly dangerous and you'd have to be incredibly reckless and/or stupid to even think of trying that. Although, legend has it that the king wook has teeth sharp enough to crack open a cartridge and inhale it directly.

Last edited: