• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Project Prevention pays addicts 300$ to be sterilized

Ok. There is a point where recovery could be possible. But I don't really see THAT much of an issue with this. It is a choice, BUT people do stupid things under the influence of drugs.
Now about implanted birth control for the women that lasts several years? Less money though.

REALLY? THAT'S YOUR OPINION? "IT'S A CHOICE"?

You say yourself that drug addicts do "stupid" things...so how on earth can you say they have a choice?

Next time you're drunk or high beyond all belief, call me, I'll offer you $20,000 for some nude pics of you.
I'll post them on the net, and you can regret a permanent decision made in the fog of chemical influence for the remainder of your life.

This issue is just another bunch of "moral" people (using the term "people" loosely, I think they're animals) to control the "undesirables" they SHOULD be HELPING...

Tell me it's "a choice" when you hit rock bottom and need $300 to get YOUR next score... BULLSHIT

I see what you are saying there. Hence why I suggest a non-permanent method..

$300? Thats it? Shit, weak deal imo.

"Project Prevention" haha

the biggest problem i have is monetary incentive for something seriously permanent and life changing.. LETS BRIBE THESE SMACKHEADS! what about using the 300$ for treatment?

phrozen,

Is the dependence/withdrawal thing specific to opiates only? Does cocaine/crack, meth, nicotine, caffeine, etc, (substances that also create physical dependence) have similar effects? Does this have to do somehow with what substances do/don't pass through the placenta?

Also, do you know the severity of the withdrawals? Are they pretty much full on symptoms? From what I've learned, opiate withdrawal is pretty fucking terrible. Can a baby even survive such severe effects on the body?

This also raises an interesting question. If a mother is shooting up say til month 8 (and assume the baby isn't born early), will the baby go through withdrawals in the womb? A baby all shaking and vomiting on an ultrasound, as terrible as it is, kinda makes me laugh to think about. (I have a dark sense of humor and can pretty much laugh at anything, before I get flamed as some sort of baby hater lol)
Cocaine doesn't cause physical dependence. I believe it can cause premature births, low birth weights, and other similar things. The comment was based on what I've read, perhaps the article is floating around here, if not it's certainly on Google.

I can't comment on the other questions, perhaps someone in the Healthy Living forum can.

It is unethical largely due to the money incentive. Someone fiending for their next hit will be thinking of the money.

The drug implant methoed is a far better idea imo.

People need to learn a bit more about history because history repeats itself.

There is a flaw though. If things like the Implanon are used they might not get them taken out. I wonder if there are risks if you don't after 3 years

Nicotine and caffeine both have a physical component (nicotine has been proven almost as bad as some opiates).

As for"meth" - do you mean crystal methamphetamine, or plain old speed?

Regardless both of them have withdrawal symptoms due to the suppression of dopamine production in the brain following habitual use.
Basically - the brain quits making as much dopamine as it once did because it thinks there's already too much in the system.

By the way - cocaine is NOT "only" psychologically addictive as was once believed... It too has similar dopamine suppression effects, it just takes more time and consumption.
For example - if a meth addict requires 3 years for this change to occur, a cocaine addict (assuming similar usage) may take 10 years ...

And just for clarity - ALL of them are soluble in H2O (read blood here...), ergo they get transferred DIRECTLY to the fetus.

Pregnant women SHOULD NOT smoke crystal meth...LOL

They should sterilize all politicians so they don't breed more tyrants.

The motivation behind this isn't primarily about protecting fetuses. Rather, it's about eliminating addicts from the gene pool. Seeing it as anything more noble than a eugenics movement is missing the point.

If they would've offered this at some of my old methadone clinics, there'd be broken femurs.

btw, I think it's (semi)standard obstetric practice to not force a pregnant opiate addict to withdraw--so as to not precipitate a miscarriage. When the baby is born, it goes directly into rehab, where it is fed opiates at a very smooth taper.

The motivation behind this isn't primarily about protecting fetuses. Rather, it's about eliminating addicts from the gene pool. Seeing it as anything more noble than a eugenics movement is missing the point.

+1, absolutely correct. This is like sterilizing jews or blacks after opressing them and holding them back to the point they will starve to death without the sterilization money.

Drug users are persecuted against just about as much as any race is currently, if not more.....

We do have the luxury of being able to act like were not drug users, and never suffered a horrible horrible pasts as many minorities.......
So don't think IM comparing the drug addict struggle to the black or jewish struggle or anything, but still right now were getting looked down on and locked up like were halfwits with no willpower or self esteem.

I think it's exploitative and discriminatory. No conspiracy theories necessary; this is a "project" designed to prey on the weak.

Spend the money instead on educating women to make their own choices about their fertility and provide funding for the options. As I don't want children anytime soon, I got a birth control method that will last me until I am 40 and that is reversible.

Pay them $300 and give them a free IUD and education on safer sex. Reversible, safe, most common long-term BC method worldwide.

i'm also offended at the notion that addicts will breed more addicts. my first BF was a child of heroin addicts, and he's straighter than a fucking arrow. removing addicts from the gene pool won't remove addiction.

Where does the money come from?

A little digging yields this 2001 article which, besides mentioning Medicaid money, gives detail:

...Many right-wing donors are also cheering. According to Harris, the organization has banked $320,000, most of it from wealthy conservatives. Dr. Laura Schlessinger, the controversial talk-show host, has contributed $10,000. Richard Mellon Scaife, the Pittsburgh billionaire credited with funding the New Right, has thrown in $75,000 through his Allegheny Foundation. And Jim Woodhill, a Houston venture capitalist and self-proclaimed member of the "Republican Rebel Alliance," has given $125,000.

Woodhill makes no secret of his desire to bring in new leadership to build a larger, more influential organization. "I'm sure we can get a good executive director whose specialty is fundraising and have her go around and hit up members of the 'vast right-wing conspiracy,' " he says. "We can raise the money." Woodhill has hired Chris Brand, a British psychologist, who is working to expand CRACK overseas. Brand, a self-proclaimed "race realist," claims that blacks are intellectually inferior to whites, and advocates taking a "eugenic" approach to "wanton and criminal females."

Woodhill is part of the current board of directors, so I'm guessing the project is still pretty radicalized. Everybody seems to want to focus on the founder's repeated comparisons of female drug addicts to dogs in heat--but the project's funding is more interesting.

Does anyone have a link to a picture of the DON'T LET PREGNANCY GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR CRACK HABIT poster?

^I won't dispute that the people behind this are shitty, but that article you linked to says that a long term method of birth control like Norplant is another option they back, not just permanent sterilization.
Harris decided something needed to be done to prevent drug-addicted women from getting pregnant. So in 1997 she sat down at her family's computer, created some flyers, and posted them in the impoverished MacArthur Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. That was the birth of CRACK (Children Requiring A Caring Kommunity), a nonprofit organization that offers $200 in cash to addicts who agree to be sterilized or undergo long-term contraception like Norplant, which is surgically imbedded under the skin. Because crack targets the poor, most of the procedures are funded by taxpayers through federal and state programs such as Medicaid and California's Medi-Cal.
Norplant is effective for 3 or 5 years. Assuming only women are approached with the offer, if long term birth control is still an option then the project hardly warrants some of the analogies made here.

It's suspect that the Mother Jones article goes on about eugenics and raises many of the issues brought up in this thread, but only mentions long term birth control once, then refers to surgical sterilization for the remainder of the article within the context of all these hot-button issues. Coercion to delay birth is very different than coercion to permanently deprive one of the ability to give birth, yet the article implicitly treats them as the same.

Last edited:
^You don't see a problem with Chris Brand serving as a consultant for the project from 2000 to 2004?

also: Here's a lengthy but insightful breakdown of Woodhill, who seems to have adopted C.R.A.C.K.

NSFW:
What then, is the nature of C.R.A.C.K? One piece of evidence supporting the claims of critics is found in the kind of people who have emerged as leaders of the organization. One C.R.A.C.K. leader who demonstrates how right-wing ideology compliments C.R.A.C.K.’s agenda is the group’s Houston coordinator, Jim Woodhill. According to C.R.A.C.K. venture capitalist Jim Woodhill also sits on the group’s Advisory Board and is a major donor to the organization, garnering the 5 star rating reserved for donors of $3,000 or more.

Woodhill’s credentials root him in a politics that lends credence to the arguments of C.R.A.C.K.’s critics. For instance, Woodhill’s website broken link notes that in addition to C.R.A.C.K., the Houston activist is a supporter of the Cato and Manhattan Institutes, and the American Civil Rights Institute – the latter the organization led by California businessman Ward Connerly that has spearheaded the assault on affirmative action around the country.

Institutes such as Cato and Manhattan point to the place where the politics of markets meets Social Darwinist racism. Whereas some classical liberals – including charter member and 18th century Scottish economist Adam Smith – held that the government should take at least some steps to address poverty, Social Darwinism emerged as a 19th century strain advocating unfettered markets and blaming victims for their poverty, unemployment, and homelessness. This view holds that in market economies individuals are wholly responsible for their own position and that the “survival of the fittest” should rule the day. In Ideology and Political Choice, Vernon Van Dyke describes that 19th century Social Darwinist godfather Herbert Spencer, and others like him, dismissed the fact that “the free market sometimes works in inequitable ways,” and held that “if widows and orphans suffered and died, so be it, for society would then be rid of the unfit” (p.18). Van Dyke notes that such Social Darwinists are the “intellectual forebears of today’s libertarians and of many of today’s conservatives” (p.9).

The politics of Woodhill’s favorite institutes echo such ideas. Founded in 1977, the Cato Institute adheres to a libertarian ideology that opposes any and all government actions aimed at alleviating the social, economic and racial inequities of the market economy. The group opposes affirmative action, bilingual education, welfare, the income tax and the regulation of business and industry. Cato is also a critic of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991 and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Reflecting such views, now Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas wrote a 1988 article for the Cato Institute criticizing the Court’s 1954 decision in Brown v. the Board of Education – the initial legal basis for the overthrow of America’s form of apartheid, Jim Crow segregation. The end result of Cato-inspired policies would be the unmitigated domination of society by those who own property and seek to use it as they see fit. Those who do not benefit from unfettered markets be damned (See No Mercy by Jean Stefancic and Richard Delgado for more on Cato and Manhattan).

Similarly, the Manhattan Institute. Formed in 1978 by William J. Casey – who would later lead a campaign of terror against poor people abroad as Ronald Reagan’s Director of the Central Intelligence Agency – this organization has promoted assaults on working people and people of color through book publishing, op-ed pieces, and sponsoring conferences and speaking tours. Among other things, the Manhattan Institute has opposed welfare, affirmative action and bilingual education.

Manhattan’s libertarian leanings are seen in its support for Charles Murray. In 1982 the Institute provided Murray with a senior research fellowship to complete his work on the book Losing Ground. Losing Ground became a Bible for advocates of what is known as “dependency theory” – the idea that welfare and social support to the poor produce a dependency among recipients that undermines the development of a “work ethic.” This idea that has most recently undergirded the countrywide campaign to replace welfare with “workfare.” What is more, Murray argued in Losing Ground that poverty, rather than a product of the inequality endemic to all market economies, stems from the cultural attitudes of many poor people. Murray, who advocates scraping the welfare system and affirmative action, helped inform the “conservative capitalism” of both Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s. (See Conservative Capitalism in Britain and the United States by Kenneth Hoover and Raymond Plant for Murray’s place in American conservatism).

While conservatives and libertarians alike have voiced such views, Murray’s version dovetails nicely with a crass Social Darwinist racism. That is, if free market capitalism is seen as offering equality to all and the causes of inequality are found in the defects of the poor, attempts at economic redistribution and social support are futile. While in Losing Ground Murray placed the blame on a “culture” of poverty, his 1994 book The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life, co-authored with Richard Herrnstein, went further, placing the blame on genetics. In the Bell Curve Murray raised the possibility that racial inequality in the U.S. is rooted in the biologically determined intellectual inferiority of blacks as measured in IQ tests. Though the Manhattan Institute initially refused to support Murray’s “research” on biological determinism – research underwritten in part by the pro-eugenics Pioneer Fund – the Institute sponsored a luncheon to honor Murray and The Bell Curve shortly after its publication. While Manhattan remains critical of Murray’s genetic attack on people of color, they continue to peddle the “culture of poverty” racism found in Losing Ground.

Woodhill’s support for the politics of Cato and Manhattan indicate a less-than-friendly face behind the politics of C.R.A.C.K. Manhattan’s “culture of poverty” creed, Cato’s Social Darwinism, and the genetic determinism of Charles Murray build a bridge that takes us to the edge of ideas that informed the 19th century eugenics movement. Armed with ideas about the intractability of the defects of the poor, this movement cast itself as a “science” committed to the “betterment” of the (white) “race” through selective and enforced breeding. Its ideas justified attacks on redistribution and social support, programs to sterilize poor women and people with disabilities, and ultimately the genocidal policies of Adolph Hitler’s German Nazi regime.

If Woodhill’s support for Cato and Manhattan indicate the Houston C.R.A.C.K. leader’s willingness to flirt with Social Darwinism, his relationship with Scottish racist Chris Brand indicates a full-blown courtship – a courtship which places C.R.A.C.K.’s program in a camp compatible with eugenic racism, as critics of the organization have argued. In the summer of 2000, the Woodhill Foundation hired the former University of Edinburgh psychology lecturer as a public policy consultant. In an article in the Evening News (Edinburgh) Brand discusses his work with the Woodhill Foundation: “I am also giving advice on the scene here because there are questions about what can be done here. Scotland has quite similar problems, as we move towards the African lifestyle of single parents where babies have not been wanted by their mothers and their fathers are absent.” (July 22, 2000)

Brand gained notoriety in 1997 when the University of Edinburgh dismissed him after he claimed in his newsletter that sex between adults and children over 12 years old was not harmful. (The Scotsman, January 30, 2001) One of the more disturbing assertions on Brand’s rambling website reads: “As with experiences like losing a parent – which also do little harm on average – there may be initial distress or lasting harm in some individual cases of exposure to paedophilic advances; but such cases are evidently balanced by those in which the growing child actually draws psychological benefit and strength from the strange but affectionate experience.” (www.crispian.demon.co.uk/)

If such views were not disturbing enough, Brand has come down on side of biological determinism, eugenics, and sympathy for neo-Nazi politics. Brand notes on his website that he “freely agreed there was a Black-White IQ difference” and “that the difference was substantially genetic.” Brand further states that “The average Black American does better [on IQ tests than Black Africans] thanks to carrying a 25% White admixture.” In line with these ideas, Brand has endorsed the idea of eugenics and bemoaned its being discredited by association with the Hitler regime.

Brand’s own interest in C.R.A.C.K. appears to derive from his fascination with things racial and eugenic. He states, for instance, that C.R.A.C.K., “a charity founded by Mrs. Barbara Harris has been implementing Nobelist William Shockley’s eugenic proposals by paying drug-addicted girls for successful use of contraception.” After being awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956 for his participation in inventing the transistor, Shockley was appointed to a position at Stanford where he formulated a theory he called “dysgenics.” Using the IQ tests of the U.S. Army, Shockley concluded that African Americans were inherently less intelligent than whites. Consequently, Shockley advocated the voluntary sterilization of people with IQ’s below 100 – this while repeatedly donating his “genius” to a purported Nobel sperm bank.

Given his ideas about race, it is not surprising that Brand has also voiced sympathy for actual neo-Nazis and their apologists. In the Spring 2000 William McDougall Newsletter Brand writes that Holocaust denier and Nazi apologist David Irving is a “proper historian,” who “maintains [an] impressive impartiality” and whose “books show a concern with evidence that would tire most modern British university students.” However, based on such “evidence” Irving questions the number of Jewish people killed in the Holocaust and denies “their systematic extermination in concentration camp gas chambers.” (BBC News, 11 April, 2000) David Irving lost a libel lawsuit against Emory University Professor Deborah Lipstadt and her publisher Penguin Books in which he claimed that Professor Lipstadt damaged his reputation and threatened his livelihood. In her 1994 book, Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory, Lipstadt had described Irving as “one of the most dangerous spokespersons for Holocaust denial” and referred to him as a “Hitler partisan.” Upholding the right of anti-fascists to name Irving by his true character, Judge Charles Gray wrote in his ruling that Irving was “a racist, an anti-Semite, and active Holocaust denier, who associates with right wing extremists.” (BBC News, April 11, 2000)

In his Spring 1999 William McDougall Newsletter, Brand also praised neo-Nazi and former Louisiana Republican state legislator David Duke, characterizing him as “handsome, dashing, daring, and likeable” and stating that Duke “has for some years maintained a responsible and useful website about race and IQ.” Duke has endorsed the genetic superiority of whites and peddled Adolph Hitler’s Mein Kampf from his state legislative office. He also endorsed a program such as C.R.A.C.K.’s when he wrote: “I see nothing wrong with encouraging unproductive people to have fewer children.” (The Emergence of David Duke and the Politics of Race, edited by Douglas Rose) As a state legislator Duke proposed an unsuccessful bill that would have offered AFDC recipients $500 to use Norplant. (Committee on Women, Population, and the Environment)

The willingness of C.R.A.C.K. to place Jim Woodhill in a position of leadership directly contradicts the group’s stated non-racist aims. Woodhill’s support for Cato and Manhattan, and, even more, his relationship with Chris Brand, illustrate that the organization’s aims are compatible with a libertarian assault on poor people and people of color as well as a crass eugenic program. As those of us who struggle for women’s reproductive freedom have long known, our struggle is not an isolated one. Rather, it is rooted in a broader struggle for gender, racial and economic liberty, and a struggle against right-wing ideologues who would turn back the clock to an era of unmitigated white male capitalist domination of American society.

source

Last edited: