• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Preventing a heroin overdose when alone....

I don't think that's the point they're trying to get at dude. I think they're just saying that responsible people who like to shoot dope, and not have media coverage of their own rotting carcasses on the floor two weeks later, shoot with someone else to be safe. People who don't, risk 15 minutes of post-mortum fame. We just want you to be safe, noone on here wants to hear about another fallen comrade. What about whoever you pick up from, will they sit for five minutes and make sure you shoot okay? If not, can you just stick to a normal dose? If not, then there's nothing us or anyone else can do to help you in the event you OD.

^

This is exactly what I'm saying, thank you. I'm really not trying to be a dick about this, I'm just saying that I honestly don't know of any other surefire prevention method than being around other people.

well first off- obv what everyone else said is the best advice. dont shoot alone. if you must...no cowboy shit, err far on the side of caution. with that said...

ok-bit of a nutty idea but
im fairly certain that in a pinch, suboxone can be used to help reverse an OD. as is well known, when suboxone is taken soon after ones standard opioid dose, it causes precipitated withdrawal by ripping the other opioids off of the receptors (due to suboxones higher affinity for the receptors).
with that in mind- how does this sound: before taking the shot, wrap a suboxone in a tiny amount of toilet paper and place under the tongue. take the shot, and when you are sure all is well, remove the suboxone which should not have started to seep thru the paper yet. if however, the shot was too much and its lights out, u are left with the suboxone under your tongue that will soon begin to enter your blood stream and do its magic.
obviously a problem here would be choking on the pill, but at the same time, if youve already OD'd, then it might be a worthwhile risk.
again, this whole idea is a long-shot.. just a thought. what do you guys think?

ok i didnt read the whole thread... but this is how all my ODs went

they progressed very quickly...

heavy strong rush... continues to push past a normal rush... loss of motor function... collapse/lie down/sit down... depending on if im nere anything... then im stright knocked out... i generally come to about 1-3 hours later still high as fuck...

example

took a trip to mexico was at a hotel on the US side of the border... a friend was on the way to pick me up and i decided to fix before he got there... fixed up and started walking towards the door... as i got to the second bed i collapsed (im assuming) because i woke up an hour and a half later sprawled out on the bed... my left leg completely numb to my abdomen i woke up cuz hotel management was banging on the door (which i had chain locked) aparently they had been knocking for some time... called my friend again and he came to grab me... i was nodding out so hard in the car i started snoring at times... it was nuts

edit: for daddysgone - That has been discussed before, to no real conclusion. The problem being, if that doesn't work, since bupe has a higher affinity than naloxone, if you take that, naloxone will no longer work to reverse your OD. That is, if you get a hold of emergency services somehow. But I guess if you're alone and have no other options thats better than nothing.
But really whats so hard about having your cell phone ready with 911 dialed, and all you have to do is press "send" if anything goes wrong? Maybe if you're really crafty you can tape-record a message: "This is ________. I live at ____________ I am overdosing on heroin....etc"
You do have a second or two when you know its coming before you are out for good, so you do your shot, then you have the phone and the tape recorder ready, and if you know you're overdosing (you should have some indication, most of the time at least, or if you are experienced) you press the send button on the phone and the play button on the tape.
I think I just came up with an ingenious overdose prevention device to sell to junkies!
Its only $10. What are you going to buy - that, or another bag?

brianxymox said:
^

This is exactly what I'm saying, thank you. I'm really not trying to be a dick about this, I'm just saying that I honestly don't know of any other surefire prevention method than being around other people.

People really misintrepreted a lot of what I said and the questions I asked.

First of all, I know their is no "surefire prevention method" as far ODing by oneself is concerned. I was looking for suggestions; techniques or methods that could possibly be employed if such a situation arose.

I was NOT looking for some sort of "safety net" because I like to shoot heroic doses of H alone. In fact, I have never increased a "good" (normal, not overwhelming high) dose by more than half a bag. Also, when I get new product, I never shoot more than half a bag to start. In fact, I have never even IV'ed a shot with more than two bags in the rig....EVER.

I'm not sure how or why I got painted as this moronic, irresponsible user, but this is simply not the case.

Overdose question

I have been fortunate to not have experienced an overdose yet. And I hope to keep it that way.

My question; and I have read conflicting reports. Are you more likely to OD as soon as your fix or some time after? Is there a safety point on the time line or can you OD several hours after taking the drug? That is to say, even after you have had no symptoms of overdosing several hours after.

Also' what do you think about classical conditioning? The ability for mind set to effect ones susceptibility to OD; to lesson or increase there drug tolerance.

edit: I am mainly talking about heroin but this is relevant to other drugs as well.

Last edited:
There's no clear "line" because there's usually a range of variables. The research from fatal opiate overdose has found a time frame of one to three hours, and not an instantaneous drop straight after injecting. Most of these cases include other drugs (benzos and alcohol) and the respiratory depression comes on slowly over time.

Here's one of the studies -> A qualitative study of overdose responses among Chicago IDUs and there's plenty more around too if you're interested.l

Given there's often so much time between injection and actual death it goes to show that plenty can be done to intervene, if someone's around to help out. Putting someone in the recovery position can prevent aspirating vomit, and EAR (expired air resuscitation) can prevent hypoxic brain injury or death.

Last edited:
I've been just so fortunate as you, and have not experianced an OD on H. But the couple of OD's I have seen, happend almost immediately after injection. I'm not sure if they had any underlying medical conditions, but I don't believe so. I haven't seen anyone OD after like 15 minutes post-injection, if that says anything.

SonOF said:
People really misintrepreted a lot of what I said and the questions I asked.

First of all, I know their is no "surefire prevention method" as far ODing by oneself is concerned. I was looking for suggestions; techniques or methods that could possibly be employed if such a situation arose.

I was NOT looking for some sort of "safety net" because I like to shoot heroic doses of H alone. In fact, I have never increased a "good" (normal, not overwhelming high) dose by more than half a bag. Also, when I get new product, I never shoot more than half a bag to start. In fact, I have never even IV'ed a shot with more than two bags in the rig....EVER.

I'm not sure how or why I got painted as this moronic, irresponsible user, but this is simply not the case.

I don't believe you were "painted" negatively. You decided to take offense to my "miserable junky" line and had someone other then myself state that wasn't what the purpose behind my post was at all (which I verify personally wasn't... it was merely something stated at the end, and because I am human, I have a right to throw in my opinions on the matter. Although I honestly wanted my point (the part before my opinion) to get across, I left my opinion for the end. You decided to try and pick it apart, not me. I still refuse to believe I've (or anyone else) painted you in any way. I call your response paranoia.

Sorry just reposting, seems like nobody noticed my question ;[

"What about if you've taken a shot and you start to feel extremely high, higher than you should be, would it be unsafe to get into the shower (cold?)."

lyXw33d said:
Sorry just reposting, seems like nobody noticed my question ;[

"What about if you've taken a shot and you start to feel extremely high, higher than you should be, would it be unsafe to get into the shower (cold?)."

The whole throwing people in a shower is like Junkie superstition that's never been proved to actually reverse or even really help an overdose ( or use of too much). I would worry it's actually worse to do something like this, for fear if you do stumble or nod-out/pass out and you're in a slippery bathtub, you run the risk of hitting your head and knocking yourself out (thus at the very lest giving you a concussion) or slipping and breaking a bone. If you knock yourself unconcious or just plain pass out, you could possibly die. It just doesn't seem worth the risk for somethin that's never been scientifically proven to help you at all in a situation like that, in the first place.

^ Good points. Also there's a risk that if you become unconscious in the shower you could drown from the water running into your nose or mouth.

I find that if I feel sick from a strong shot; not like OD strong, a cool shower helps me to feel better.

..... so is there any real danger that you could stop breathing if you fix just before bed. I sometimes like to take a mild shot just before I go to sleep.