• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Prescription drugs and dopamine

Ripplyuk

Bluelighter
Could anyone tell me what will happen if I mix chlorpromazine, Baclofen and Bupropion? With my limited understanding, bupropion blocks dopamine reuptake which would lead to more dopamine but chlorpromazine is a dopamine antagonist so would that cancel it out? What would happen to all this excess dopamine in my brain? I’m assuming the Baclofen will be ok since it works on GABA.

Released dopamine can't bind to the receptors and there is a slower removal of it, which accumulates in the synaptic cleft, without exerting their effect.
Depending on the dosage of chlorpromazine and Bupropion, the effects could be one of the following:
Dopamine would still bind to dopamine receptors if chlorpromazine dose is not high enough, so you would feel a reduction of the effect of Buproprion, similar to taking a lower dosage of it.
Accumulation of dopamine in the synaptic cleft without binding to the receptors, thus not having any effect.

Hey there OP, this is a bit of an advanced question so I'm going to move it over to pharmacology where I think you will get better answers.

Bupropion isn't that much of a DRI until the 450mg dose mark, but any over than can cause seizures. It's not a recreational medication, but high doses of baclofen I believe are anti-epileptic. Chlorpromazine is an antipsychotic with a broad range of affected systems. You might be able to think more clearly, or not. It's kind of a toss-up. But please don't try unreasonable amounts of bupropion. Seizures are deadly. Thanks