• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Prescribing of over the counter med in uk are changing

Yeah they probably stuck some kind of anti-abuse coating over it. I think Actavis did the same with theirs. Sandoz is alright but the Purdue/Mundipharma/Napp/Qdem or whatever name they invent next are always best.

I think it's not just the size of the country but also the fact strong opioids are not so easily given out on the NHS compared to the US when the opioid epidemic hit. Sure we can very easily get codeine/DHC especially privately but anything stronger is usually harder to get a long-term script for. Usually strong opis are only given on short-term scripts except for people who are dying.

We also have a different drug culture here where pharmas don't make up a huge part of it, largely due to the fact the proper good ones are not easily scripted on the NHS, whereas in the US you had everyone and their dog on OxyContin scripts when it was new, and to this day it seems you got Xanax everywhere. It's funny to me that it's a drug rappers hype up, but at the same time it's got connotations with housewives too, like all types of people throughout society pop pills over there. Sharing prescription pills is just normal in the US even outside of drug user circles, just regular people see it as acceptable to share meds and don't see it as "drug use." That whole pharma culture isn't much of a thing in the UK except amongst drug users. We still see recreational pharmas as "drugs." It's a different culture.

And nah what happened in Scotland?
That's always fascinated me. How most Americans have their "medicine cabinet" im their bathrooms and taking a xanax or a sleeping pill is normal for good Christian suburbanites, where over here we'd have to blag the fuck out of doctors for months and have a recognised condition to be prescribed anything remotely abusable. Apart from codeine maybe.

And to go back to the OP, it definitely does just mean doc's are gonna stop prescribing stuff like paracetamol and ibuprofen and cetirizine. Might be cool for codeine linctus etc. to become more easily available to stop idiots too lazy to do a CWE from slowly killing/disabling themselves (it happens a lot).
I'm a little surprised that our current government is using common sense to save the NHS money though. Maybe it's just too obvious for them not to do, whilst they're currently pretending to be supporting the NHS, the horrible, duplicitous, toffee nosed, fucking Tory swinecunts.

Ended up going 44 hours without opiates! Got so unwell I was mostly bed-ridden. Lucky for me I managed to sleep my way through the second day. Finally got my DHC script a few hours ago and took 7 so feeling good again. Not high even a little but but I feel "normal" again/

Forty-four hours is enough to wash out some tolerance and make the narcotics work better -- I used to do that a lot until the cardiologist said I probably shouldn't and suggested adding in injectable nicomorphine to my regimen to my GP back in the day.

Was the sleep the second day chemically enhanced by sleeping medications or was it the Stage II/III withdrawal symptom known as Yen Sleep? It can be helpful, but can also be the starting block for lucid nightmares in my experience.

Was the sleep the second day chemically enhanced by sleeping medications or was it the Stage II/III withdrawal symptom known as Yen Sleep? It can be helpful, but can also be the starting block for lucid nightmares in my experience.

Don't want to be facetious or.anything, but if you're lucid dreaming can't you just direct your dream into a more pleasant direction?

I'd love to have a (non-nightmare) lucid dream but never had one (or can't remember).

Don't want to be facetious or.anything, but if you're lucid dreaming can't you just direct your dream into a more pleasant direction?

I'd love to have a (non-nightmare) lucid dream but never had one (or can't remember).

Lucid dreams yes, but falling narcotic levels in my blood always lead to bizarre dreams which are rarely pleasant, lucid or not. Despite my best efforts -- I get this building feeling that one cannot win for losing in cases like that, and they last a damn long time too . . .

Lucid dreams yes, but falling narcotic levels in my blood always lead to bizarre dreams which are rarely pleasant, lucid or not. Despite my best efforts -- I get this building feeling that one cannot win for losing in cases like that, and they last a damn long time too . . .

Sounds unpleasant. Interesting though that the anxiety is even present in a form of dream that is somewhat controllable.

Sounds unpleasant. Interesting though that the anxiety is even present in a form of dream that is somewhat controllable.

I also notice lots of dreams, pleasant, unpleasant, and otherwise, about drugs and I could imagine what that would do to someone in recovery. Really specific stuff too like shooting MST Continus and turning it into smack and so on . . .

The worst thing that happens is that if I am completely exhausted, I can sleep for 36 hours only to be awoken by angina pectoris and Stage IV withdrawal, hence the importance of MST Continus swallowed whole with pasta so that doesn't happen.

That's always fascinated me. How most Americans have their "medicine cabinet" im their bathrooms and taking a xanax or a sleeping pill is normal for good Christian suburbanites, where over here we'd have to blag the fuck out of doctors for months and have a recognised condition to be prescribed anything remotely abusable. Apart from codeine maybe.

Yeah same here, it's a very different culture where they seem to have socially acceptable drug use as long as it comes in a pill you could get from a doctor, even if it's not actually scripted to you, doesn't matter. They see it as meds not drugs. You got those middle class Christian types popping Xanax and shit. Hilarious to me.

Although with opiates, if anything I'd say after the whole "epidemic" became a huge deal in the media and in the government and the DEA, it's actually easier to get opiate scripts here. Sure we don't get oxy chucked about but codeine/DHC isn't too difficult in most cases. In the US getting any opiate at all has now become very difficult even for chronic pain patients. And there's a reason Yanks pay almost a grand for a bottle of codeine/promethazine syrup... shit is rare as fuck over there.

Right now I have to say I'm pretty happy with my DHC Continus. Time release doesn't even ruin the high and it keeps pain away all day. Very useful med!

Yeah same here, it's a very different culture where they seem to have socially acceptable drug use as long as it comes in a pill you could get from a doctor, even if it's not actually scripted to you, doesn't matter. They see it as meds not drugs. You got those middle class Christian types popping Xanax and shit. Hilarious to me.

Although with opiates, if anything I'd say after the whole "epidemic" became a huge deal in the media and in the government and the DEA, it's actually easier to get opiate scripts here. Sure we don't get oxy chucked about but codeine/DHC isn't too difficult in most cases. In the US getting any opiate at all has now become very difficult even for chronic pain patients. And there's a reason Yanks pay almost a grand for a bottle of codeine/promethazine syrup... shit is rare as fuck over there.

Right now I have to say I'm pretty happy with my DHC Continus. Time release doesn't even ruin the high and it keeps pain away all day. Very useful med!

The Austrian version, Codidol Retard, worked for chronic pain for a long time in my case, all the way until it was time for morphine and the like. The package insert even starts with the headline that all people have a right to freedom from pain. I gladly came back to it when the pain improved for a number of years, then MST Continus rotated with Ketodur if needed and various immediate-release drugs for breakthrough pain works these days. Actually with all of the antihistamines I take as potentiators and so forth, I imagine I could handle very high doses of Codidol Retard now without problems like itching and the like.

If one is needing immediate-release DHC, one can always chew the tablet and wash it down with Coca-Cola, and not much of the extended-release mechanism is defeated even when one does that, it is just front-loading a bit . . . I am thinking maybe one of the reasons it is finding favour both with patients and doctors as a Substitutionsmittel in opioid substitution therapy medication, with MST Continus as the next step up. I have heard of some places considering Perduretas, the 50 and 100 mg codeine hydrochloride extended-release tablets as well. The Codidol/Didor/DHC Continus/Contugesic seems to be good at holding heroin folks, with one of them telling a reporter for one of the medical magazines that it actually feels like gear when they chew the tablets, which reminds one of William S Burroughs' endorsement: "Twice as strong as codeine and almost as good as heroin"

The package insert even starts with the headline that all people have a right to freedom from pain.

I like that. Just checked mine but this isn't written on the UK version.

Also kinda funny to me that DHC Continus and MST Continus are both made by Purdue. They seem to be the ones behind almost all of the time released opiates.

Actually with all of the antihistamines I take as potentiators and so forth, I imagine I could handle very high doses of Codidol Retard now without problems like itching and the like.

I actually enjoy the itch. What I can't stand is the nausea. DHC Continus already makes me nod the fuck out so I don't use sedating antihistamines (I find using sedative antihistamines to try and boost your nod just makes the whole experience feel "dirty" anyway) just non-sedating ones to stop the nausea. Cetirizine is what I tend to go for. No sedation but just a single 10mg pill stops me feeling sick from high doses of opiates. Perfecto.

If one is needing immediate-release DHC, one can always chew the tablet and wash it down with Coca-Cola, and not much of the extended-release mechanism is defeated even when one does that, it is just front-loading a bit

I've only been using it for a few days so I might end up changing my mind about this but so far I actually prefer time release DHC to instant release. The time release feels a lot stronger and still makes me nod. IR hasn't felt this good in years. No idea how but even at the exact same doses XR just feels better than IR. Actually even at higher doses of IR it feels weaker than XR. I can easily do 300-400mg IR and just get a mild high (and mild pain relief). Whereas one or two tablets of 120mg XR has me proper nodding. I now see why Burroughs compared it to smack. I've always loved my DHC, but now I really fucking love it.

The XR is only a mild improvement for actual pain relief though from what I can tell. It does seem to be eradicate pain for a few hours but it goes back to just taking the edge off like IR DHC does after those initial few hours, which is kind of defeating the purpose of XR. I do actually get even more high after that, but the pain relief is reduced.

Ironically a low dose of XR morphine like MST Continus 20mg would probably give me less euphoria, less side effects, but superior pain relief. However I can't imagine getting that any time soon, my doc is already wary of having me on DHC long-term, doesn't want to get blamed for making me an addict so is hoping my pain just disappears even though it's been there for ages and I have chronic pain in the family. I would have hoped he'd trust me more considering I've got scripts for all sorts of addictive and abusable controlled drugs and have done for years and have never once been a "problem patient."

He does obviously trusts me enough to give me a pretty nice supply of max dose DHC Continus in the first place, but I think this is a paranoia most docs have about treating chronic pain not caused by terminal illness. If the patient will live with the opioid long-term the doc is worried the patient will get hooked and blame the doctor. Not sure what to say to the doc to assure him this won't happen except for... I'm already on multiple addictive controlled drugs which you're happy to script me on repeat and have been on more in the past, I have been on these meds for easily over half a decade and I've had no problem keeping myself in check with those, no massive tolerance increase, no begging for early refills, no trying to blag bigger doses or stronger drugs, etc.

Wish I could get away with being more frank like: look I don't need a doctor to get opiates, I'm coming to you because I want medical oversight, I want to use them sensibly, I don't want to get proper hooked on anything. That's why I want a legitimate prescription from a doctor who can oversee my use. Either way I will use them. I would rather go the safest route. But for that to work I need my doctor to understand it's chronic pain that we're managing here.

one can always chew the tablet and wash it down with Coca-Cola, and not much of the extended-release mechanism is defeated even when one does that, it is just front-loading a bit . . . I am thinking maybe one of the reasons it is finding favour both with patients and doctors

Afaik to fully bypass the time release you use baking soda or something don't ya? I skimmed a few threads here on BL that happened to mention it, but I honestly don't want to bypass it myself so didn't research it to deeply. I have like 100 IR's left anyway. But I prefer XR.

But yes doctors (in the UK) certainly prefer to put patients on XR opioids if they're for long-term use. For post-op pain they use IR but for chronic pain they will pretty much always give you XR. Sometimes with low dose IR for breakthrough.

The way it seems to work is they stick you on IR for 1-2 weeks so you can work out the effective dose then they give you an XR version of that dose or the closest available.

A sensible approach imo. I see what my doc means about XR being less addictive in terms of it not giving you a rapid hit and not having to keep redosing etc... but definitely not less abusable, I am literally taking my scripted dose, actually less than the dose I usually take of IR so not a high dose for me, and nodding the fuuuck out. I am literally nodding and getting fucking CEV's when I close my eyes! Madness, literally feeling as strong as a chewed up OC80! I shit you not (quite literally, I'm rather constipated ?)!

I have heard of some places considering Perduretas, the 50 and 100 mg codeine hydrochloride extended-release tablets as well.

Yeah I've heard they have codeine XR in a few countries but I can't imagine it's much good especially for treatment of chronic pain. DHC XR works because DHC is actually stronger than the medical system seems to think it is (in the UK at least). Codeine is very weak though unless you happen to be a lucky ultrarapid metaboliser. But in that case why not just be on MST Continus instead of a prodrug for the same thing?

Last edited:
The Mundipharma DHC product uses an extended-release mechanism of grains of different sizes encased in wax, so chewing the tablets partially defeats the extended-release mechanism. I guess where your molar hits it, some of the grains come undone, then there are intact pieces, so the extended-release stays intact. The sustained wellness on extended-release products definitely is something wonderful both for pain patients and maintenance folks as well. It was more effective for me to have some extra DHC in the form of Paracodin linctus, or something of the same sort like nicocodeine liquid or several 30 mg codeine hydrochloride tablets in the early evening.

The morphine tablet I usually get is Vendal Retard. It is made by Lannacher Heilmittel Ges m b H, the same company that makes nicomorphine and nicocodeine. So maybe the Vendal and the Vilan ampoules and tablets recognise each other as sisters when I need to mainline some Vilan for breakthrough pain.. Hydal, the hydromorphone in its various forms, is made by Mundipharma, and I think they have a licencing agreement for marketing Dilaudid because I am pretty sure that is who makes the Dilaudid HP phials and ampoules and tablets I have been getting over the years.

The MST Continus actually comes in a liquid too, like a 12-hour Tussionex/Tusscodin Retard with morphine in it.

Purdue got into the oxycodone market because, well undermedication of pain if anything was worse in the 1980s and 1990s, and, perhaps more importantly, they invented the Contin part first -- it was for an asthma tablet with theophylline in it back in the early 1980s or so . . . oxycodone had been on the US market since 12. January 1939, so the Communists and ambulance chasers in the States who mischaracterise oxycodone and the firms who supply it are full of shit.

Forty-four hours is enough to wash out some tolerance and make the narcotics work better -- I used to do that a lot until the cardiologist said I probably shouldn't and suggested adding in injectable nicomorphine to my regimen to my GP back in the day.

It both I think. I took some Quetiapine, but with the amount of w/d I was in it was probably partially Yen Sleep.

The sustained wellness on extended-release products definitely is something wonderful both for pain patients and maintenance folks as well.

Oh yeah for sure, keeps withdrawal away all day long. I really am a fan of these DHC Continus. It's weird because OxyContin/Longtec was always disappointing unless I bypassed the time release, even with zero tolerance. But DHC Continus, even though I do have a high DHC tolerance, really does a lot for me. I just wish the pain relief lasted as long as the high. Then they'd be perfect.

I'll see how things go over the next few weeks though, only been on the stuff for a few days after all.

And yeah it'll be identical to the Mundipharma DHC/MST Continus. Napp and Mundipharma are both Purdue subsidiaries, but I think Napp was an acquisition that was already well established in the UK market so Purdue kept that brand name going here.

The MST Continus actually comes in a liquid too, like a 12-hour Tussionex/Tusscodin Retard with morphine in it.

I came across that while doing some research, although the info I saw suggested it was actually sachets you pour into water rather than oral suspension. The sachets contain spansules hence the time release.

There are a lot of meds available as oral suspensions in the UK though. Oramorph is a particularly common one, as the name suggests it's oral morphine 10mg/5ml, had it before definitely my favourite oral morphine preparation and I feel like I'm showing those "lean sipping" kids what real drugs is. More rarely there's also OxyNorm 5mg/5ml liquid (yes oxycodone liquid) and various benzos including diazepam, clonazepam, temazepam, and nitrazepam oral suspension.

The mouth waters just thinking about it...

Purdue got into the oxycodone market because, well undermedication of pain if anything was worse in the 1980s and 1990s, and, perhaps more importantly, they invented the Contin part first -- it was for an asthma tablet with theophylline in it back in the early 1980s or so . . . oxycodone had been on the US market since 12. January 1939, so the Communists and ambulance chasers in the States who mischaracterise oxycodone and the firms who supply it are full of shit.

Yep Purdue did nothing original except slap time releases on shit (good job with this DHC Continus though, Sackler family). For opiates they first made MS Contin in the US (which I think was just rebranded as MST Continus in the UK and wider Europe) but it was mostly getting scripted to terminal cancer patients and that's quite literally a dying market so when the patent wore off they decided their next drug was gonna be scripted for a much broader range of conditions.

They picked an old German opiate from a century ago (Hitler's favourite nonetheless), stuck a time release coating over it, went mad with the marketing and made billions.

Oh yeah for sure, keeps withdrawal away all day long. I really am a fan of these DHC Continus. It's weird because OxyContin/Longtec was always disappointing unless I bypassed the time release, even with zero tolerance. But DHC Continus, even though I do have a high DHC tolerance, really does a lot for me. I just wish the pain relief lasted as long as the high. Then they'd be perfect.

I'll see how things go over the next few weeks though, only been on the stuff for a few days after all.

And yeah it'll be identical to the Mundipharma DHC/MST Continus. Napp and Mundipharma are both Purdue subsidiaries, but I think Napp was an acquisition that was already well established in the UK market so Purdue kept that brand name going here.

I came across that while doing some research, although the info I saw suggested it was actually sachets you pour into water rather than oral suspension. The sachets contain spansules hence the time release.

There are a lot of meds available as oral suspensions in the UK though. Oramorph is a particularly common one, as the name suggests it's oral morphine 10mg/5ml, had it before definitely my favourite oral morphine preparation and I feel like I'm showing those "lean sipping" kids what real drugs is. More rarely there's also OxyNorm 5mg/5ml liquid (yes oxycodone liquid) and various benzos including diazepam, clonazepam, temazepam, and nitrazepam oral suspension.

The mouth waters just thinking about it...

Yep Purdue did nothing original except slap time releases on shit (good job with this DHC Continus though, Sackler family). For opiates they first made MS Contin in the US (which I think was just rebranded as MST Continus in the UK and wider Europe) but it was mostly getting scripted to terminal cancer patients and that's quite literally a dying market so when the patent wore off they decided their next drug was gonna be scripted for a much broader range of conditions.

They picked an old German opiate from a century ago (Hitler's favourite nonetheless), stuck a time release coating over it, went mad with the marketing and made billions.

Because the supplies of Eukodal (injectable oxycodone) as well as Scophedal, hydrocodone, and morphine were so depleted that not even the Wehrmacht could get what the needed, there is a theory that Hitler went into full withdrawal starting in mid-January 1945. I have not seen any evidence that Dr Morrell, Hitler's personal physician, gave Hitler Dilaudid -- maybe it would have calmed him down and made him love everybody . . . or maybe not.

Hermann Göring's favourite turned out to be DHC -- he had two suitcases full of immediate-relaase tabelts, 20 000 tablets which was the entire world supply of dihydrocodeine at the time , when he was caught after the Second World War . . . he started in 1931 or so for a toothache and was taking 3000 mg of DHC a day; he had been a morphine habitué at least since the aftermath of the Munich Beer Hall Putsch in November 1923, and he was quite fond of oxycodone as well.