• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos prescribed xanax

dudunabo2002

Greenlighter
im 16, and my psychiatrist prescribed me 0.25 xanax before school. Should I take it or is it gonna mess up my studies

0.25 mg alprazolam is a pretty low dosage, so it shouldn't interfere with your studies, but benzos long-term can have a negative impact on your memory and benzo dependence isn't something you want. Plus your brain is still developing.
Imo you should only take it if you have a bad panic attack and go to therapy, preferably CBT, to help with anxiety.

It can cause cognitive issues, but if you have anxiety issues that affect your studies, it could actually help you in that way.

I was prescribed benzos at around that age, maybe 2003 or 2004, and I've been taking them ever since. Xanax is one of the most habit forming and it can be difficult to remember what you were doing while on it. It can also cause people to act in ways that they otherwise wouldn't, which can lead to problems.

You've probably read up on benzos and xanax and may have used them before, I'm just telling you what I never get told when prescribed that stuff. I learned pretty quickly though, and I've never had any serious problems from using them, I've heard many stories though where people ended up in some pretty serious situations.

If you are anxious, a low dose may be able to help you with school. Try to keep the doses low as possible, try not to take every day and it would be best only take it short-term. I'm a bit surprised that your therapist didn't suggest something a bit milder than xanax though. If you have any concerns about taking it, talk to your therapist.

I agree with Klein, that it should probably only really be used for panic attacks.

Use only as directed. If you desire any positive benifits from this drug, use it sparingly, as needed, as has been posted above.

If you expect it to keep working, do not raise your dosage on your own. Consult your physician.

This medication is very serious. Do not mix this with other drugs. This is easy to black out on. This is also your personal business. IMO, I would not even mention it to people besides your family.

This medication can cause black outs. Do not mix with any other medications without approval from your doctor.

Only use when necessary. The less you use, tolerance is less of an issue. If you have any issues, let your doctor know promptly.

Last edited: