• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT IS Neccesary

To ensure that if they ever split up, it will not be necessary or possible to go to court to battle it out, which is extremely invasive and expensive/time-consuming. I'm getting divorced now, and my ex and I always said we would just take our own stuff and what we each put money into. I spent 100% of the money on the house, the cats, the car, etc, she decided to never work during our marriage and I just supported her while she watched TV. When we got divorced, suddenly she flipped the script and wants to try to take as much of my stuff as possible. A prenup would have been good for me.

What I want to know is, why does everyone still want to get married so badly? To me, it seems like an outdated concept that has strong overtones of ownership. You can't promise someone you'll always be in love with them, you can't know that. Marriage was invented when it was not mostly for love, but rather for cementing political or family ties, or guaranteeing a woman would only have your babies by making it illegal for her to be with anyone else. In my opinion, it's better to leave the government out of your relationship.

What I want to know is, why does everyone still want to get married so badly? To me, it seems like an outdated concept that has strong overtones of ownership. You can't promise someone you'll always be in love with them, you can't know that. Marriage was invented when it was not mostly for love, but rather for cementing political or family ties, or guaranteeing a woman would only have your babies by making it illegal for her to be with anyone else. In my opinion, it's better to leave the government (and especially the fuckin church) out of your relationship.

QFT!! (with a little addition...)