• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Pregabilin + clonazepam + weed

john420-420

Greenlighter
Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to post this so thought here is where it mostly belongs. So I'm currently taking lamotrigine 100mg twice a day and clonazepam .5mg twice a day for epilepsy. However I am not liking lamotrigine at all and I have a choice to either go back on keppra (was much better than lamotrigine but still had pretty unwanted side effects like mood swings) or to try pregabilin. The lamotrigine is making me not really sleep and is really really killing my appetite, which is why I smoke more weed than I usually would tbh. It's like my stomach is growling saying FEED ME but my taste buds and appetite to anything is just 'ewww', especially salty foods and red meat.

So I'm kind of wondering if you guys would know anything about taking pregabilin at a prescribed dose consistently, along with clonazepam and weed? My biggest concern really is cognitive functioning and motivation tbh, I don't want to turn slow and lazy if you get what I mean lol. All the other epilepsy meds decline cognitive functioning and turn you a bit lazier so maybe pregabilin won't be that bad after-all if taken at the prescribed dose consistently.

Well, I would really say that 100mg of lamotrigine is a SUPER low dose for epilepsy. Shoot, for mood stabilization too. 100mg lamotrigine is probably what you are being given currently, in order to build up to a (much) higher dose in the next month or two. In that case, be patient my friend. Lamotrigine's side effects tend to wear off VERY quickly. I get the feeling you have only been on it for a short while - I encourage you to continue taking it (unless your physician says other wise).

I have Bipolar disorder - not epilepsy - But have been on Keppra as well as Lamictal. Keppra was awful - I currently take lamotrigine, but have really been on most antiepileptics/mood stabilizers. Speaking as someone who works in medicine, Keppra is actually poorly tolerated in general. The people who end up taking it generally do it out of desperation - it's the only one that works for them. Highly unusual for someone to be on Keppra long term, when they have also stabilized on a different med.

Pregabalin is good but NOT a replacement for an antiepileptic! Tolerance to pregabalin grows RAPIDLY. Perhaps if you have absence seizures very infrequently, and that's the only reason for your therapy.

Well, I would really say that 100mg of lamotrigine is a SUPER low dose for epilepsy. Shoot, for mood stabilization too. 100mg lamotrigine is probably what you are being given currently, in order to build up to a (much) higher dose in the next month or two. In that case, be patient my friend. Lamotrigine's side effects tend to wear off VERY quickly. I get the feeling you have only been on it for a short while - I encourage you to continue taking it (unless your physician says other wise).

I have Bipolar disorder - not epilepsy - But have been on Keppra as well as Lamictal. Keppra was awful - I currently take lamotrigine, but have really been on most antiepileptics/mood stabilizers. Speaking as someone who works in medicine, Keppra is actually poorly tolerated in general. The people who end up taking it generally do it out of desperation - it's the only one that works for them. Highly unusual for someone to be on Keppra long term, when they have also stabilized on a different med.

Pregabalin is good but NOT a replacement for an antiepileptic! Tolerance to pregabalin grows RAPIDLY. Perhaps if you have absence seizures very infrequently, and that's the only reason for your therapy.

Thanks bud :) just goes to show how we all react differently. I've been on it for over 2 years now. My appetite is good for a few days then none existent for a few days which never happened until I started taking it. It was terrible to start with, and did get a lot better but after all this time it's still too intolerable to be worth taking for me. I know all meds take a while getting used to but I've given this one way more than long enough now I think to make judgement. I can only describe these side effects as coming in waves now really and always get diarrhea too when my appetite goes out the window. The sensitivity to light and dehydration have gone completely which was pretty crap putting up with, especially in the summer but they went away after nearly a year, so quite a long time.

I like to go to gym and workout but since the lamictal I haven't even been half as much as I did when on the keppra. I bet that does sound odd, it should really be the other way round that one, but it's truth.

I know 100mg twice a day isn't much, can't really get much lower than that really on this drug iirc. My brothers ex girlfriend is taking the exact same dose for epilepsy and she only experiences odd dreams she said.

My epilepsy is not even that bad tbh, partial seizures 99% with the odd very rare grand-mal. I had a benign glioma brain tumor removed from my right temporal lobe when I was 16, I'm 25 now. Had seizures since I was 8 and been medicated since then. Since having the tumor removed the epilepsy is nowhere near as bad as when it was there, it's the scar remaining that is causing the seizures now rather than a tumor itself.

With keppra I felt the same consistently instead of things going allover the place like my sleep and appetite. Crazy drug to me this. I call it amphetamotrigne lol. I'm willing to try pregabilin but as you say you can build tolerance quick, I think that goes for all gaba type drugs iirc. The neurologist suggested it last time but I didn't want to go on such drug, but now I'm willing to give it a go. The past few days have been really frustrating, I've barely eaten or slept and feel weak because of it.

Last edited:
Looked into any sort of CBD oil for your seizures? I know it's been very effective with some cases, especially children. Not sure about adults, but worth some research.

Looked into any sort of CBD oil for your seizures? I know it's been very effective with some cases, especially children. Not sure about adults, but worth some research.
I've thought about it and would definitely give it a go without a doubt but being in the UK it's a big, big gamble really because you don't really know what you're going to get and it would work out very expensive to treat permanently with it. It is legal to sell as a dietary supplement and we have online stores selling sisters of the valley and the Stanley brothers CW hemp stuff etc, but is it going to be anything like what CBD can really be like as demonstrated in the states? I will be getting a big bottle for while I'm changing meds again as lamotrigine can be a bit unpleasant when gradually decreasing apparently and also might prevent anything from happening while I'm changing.

Ah, I didn't pay close attention, and didn't realize you were in the UK. I have no idea about the availability, quality or any other aspects of medical marijuana, nor anything black market over there. Sorry about that.

Ah, I didn't pay close attention, and didn't realize you were in the UK. I have no idea about the availability, quality or any other aspects of medical marijuana, nor anything black market over there. Sorry about that.
No worries dude. Now you've mentioned it I've just messaged an activist who's from my country asking him where's the best place to buy it. He's very famous in the cannabis scene and produces oil himself but for people that REALLY need it, and is even a really good friend of the hydro store owner that I buy from a lot. I just need the right people to point me in the right direction really before feeling confident buying it :)

Op, if you are not happy with lamotrigine, tell your doctor about it. I was prescribed that once and had them take me off it due to the side effects, Pregabalin is great, however it seems like an add on medication, rather then stand alone. If you can take it as prescribed and not abuse it, Pregabalin will work for a while, but tolerance is an issue with that. Afa taking it in general, it can boost up the effects from the benzodiazepines you take. There is a entire megathread on Pregabalin / Lyrica that you can check out. Your doctor has plenty of choices for a lamotrigine replacement. As far as the weed goes, there are different strains out there. Take a little side trip to Amsterdam and see what works for you. The non THC CBD works for myself.

Op, if you are not happy with lamotrigine, tell your doctor about it. I was prescribed that once and had them take me off it due to the side effects, Pregabalin is great, however it seems like an add on medication, rather then stand alone. If you can take it as prescribed and not abuse it, Pregabalin will work for a while, but tolerance is an issue with that. Afa taking it in general, it can boost up the effects from the benzodiazepines you take. There is a entire megathread on Pregabalin / Lyrica that you can check out. Your doctor has plenty of choices for a lamotrigine replacement. As far as the weed goes, there are different strains out there. Take a little side trip to Amsterdam and see what works for you. The non THC CBD works for myself.
Thanks bud :) I have an appointment to see a epilepsy nurse on the 17th this month about the med change. I got my original appointment pushed forward because of this, I usually see them every 6 months and last time was about 3 months ago. To be honest I would like to go to Amsterdam but everybody I know that would go there are not financially funded for it so it would mean going by myself lol, which I have actually thought about. I haven't had experience with an actual high CBD and low THC strain or oil yet, had plenty of strong indicas though and they're what I prefer to grow, I like getting high as well so I don't mind sativas either.

I know lamotrigine is like a magic bullet for some people but we're all different. When I get the wave of side effects my sex drive goes through the roof though which is very odd. All I'm thinking then is where is all the fuel coming from for this if I'm not even eating or really sleeping lol.

I have tried topirimate which really killed my appetite and made me hallucinate a bit, fycompa which made me pretty hostile, epilem but that was years ago when I was a kid and made me hostile too, tegretol but when I was a kid too which made me really dumb and short tempered. The good thing about lamotrigine compared to the others is you tend to not get that kind of moodiness, hostility, mood swings or a short temper like the others can give. But comes with a host of different side effects which can be very annoying too and can trigger me to feel upset actually. I love food and going to gym but it has taken that kind of life away from me pretty much now.

Mood stabilizers, which a basically anti psychotics are a mixed bag. Some decent ones include Olanzapine and Risperdone, They mute shit, but IMO they are the less of the shitty anti psychotic. The pregabalin, clonazepam + weed can be a nice combination. Read up on them.