• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Prednisone triggering opiate withdrawals?

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
My feet are really swollen so I got prednisone from urgent care yesterday since a high dose tapper like they give you for asthma is the only thing I have found that helps when my feet swell like this). I took 4 20mg pills throughout the day yesterday and today even though I have taken my Percocet and even some kratom I feel like crap. I am having major chills and sneezing like crazy and my head hurts. Can prednisone trigger withdrawal syndrome? Or is it a coincidence? The last time I had to take prednisone was before I was dependent. So I am confused. I don?t know if I just happened to get the flu the day after I started the prednisone or what?

It makes you agitated and restless can cause mania in people

I cant see anything on google about it.
Are you sure your not just having withdrawal cos u took a bigdose in the last week or so as that happens or you might just be ill or having bad side effects to the prednisone thats a high dose youve taken, whyhave you taken that much im sure it comes in 5mg pills

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory that is sometimes used to shorten a prolongedmigraine attack, or to help cluster attacks. Prednisone in itself can cause migraineattacks if excessive amounts have been taken over a long period of time. Prolonged steroid therapy can produce significant side effects...

the max dose is 250mg a day, youve taken too much in one go imo. its not the opiates its the prednisone high dose

Prednisone induces CYP 3A4 which can speed up the metabolism of Oxycodone in Percocet. Not sure if it causes problems with Mytraginine to 7-Hydroxymitragynine so I'll have to dig a little.

I'm not a doctor so take this with a grain of salt, but 80 mg prednisone is a rather high initial dosage and if you take this for a prolonged time you'll have withdrawal symptoms as your body will stop producing its own corticosteroids.
What you're experiencing might be side effects of the high dose or maybe you're metabolizing the oxycodon too fast
dexamethasone and prednisone, but not prednisolone or methylprednisolone, were inducers of P450 3A, at the level of protein and mRNA accumulation
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1614409/

Either way imo you should talk to a doctor about this as corticosteroids are really powerful drugs.

It’s a taper day 1 was 4 yesterday was 3 today will be 2 and yes that’s the directions on my bottle then tomorrow 1 then half and then off prednisone

I would not be surprised if all of the symptoms are side effects of the Prednisone.

That stuff is hella strong.

It has a huge list of possible side effects. Especially when you start at a high dose and cut it super fast.

It’s a taper day 1 was 4 yesterday was 3 today will be 2 and yes that’s the directions on my bottle then tomorrow 1 then half and then off prednisone

Ah, that makes sense. In this case you don't need to worry about withdrawal symptoms from prednisone.

Maybe you're simply getting sick? Corticosteroids can increase the risk of infection.