• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Precipitated withdrawal at the suboxone clinic/doctors

Thatgirl299

Greenlighter
What happens or what's the protocol if you go into precipitated withdrawal during induction at the doctors office ? Do they stop inducting? Hospital ? Make you call for a ride (I cannot, my husband would leave me, no friends new in town)
It will only be 29 or so hours since last fentanyl use- I tapered down to .5 over last 2 days from a 1gm day habit. I always go into precipitated withdrawal unless it's been 36-48 hours. I did manage to ge .6mg of sub in my system (.2 day 1 --.2 day 2 --.6 day 3)
Thank you

Usually a Naloxone challenge is performed after a COWS or clinical Opioid Withdrawal Scale. The idea being if you are half dead in rough WD's then induction will go fine. In many patients things go fine and after 45mins to an hour you are allowed to go home and rest up.

Not that there aren't some stories about sub docs continually administering Subs up to around the 12-16mg mark when PWD's do occur. This is usually how they are trained because these clinics don't stock CII substances to bring you out if PWD happens. There mentality is to push through it until the PWD goes away, basically you in the bathroom on the toilet with a trash can to puke into for 3 hours.

A newer type of practice is showing promise in those who've had the hardest time inducting as they were on high dose Methadone that has a notoriously long half life making the "standard" approach fraught with problems. However inducting with small doses like .25-.50mg every 90 mins can make the expulsion of the full agonist opioids and replacement with Subs go much smoother and has better success ratios,

For the people with the absolute hardest inductions there's the Bernese Method which is still considered experimental and the mainstream clinics won't touch it because it involves using small amounts of illegal opioids mixed with subs over a moderate period where the transition is very slow and the violent replacement of one substance is instead carried out over a few days lowering the chance of PWD's to almost none.

These are the methods you should speak with your Doctor about. Also inquire if you can induct with Subutex vs Suboxone, some think it helps.

The Bernese Method-for the most difficult/ multiple failed cases: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4959756/

Other references while you await more responses:

So when using the bernese method, is the idea to still be on a low dose of heroin/methadone/fentanyl while starting to take very small doses of suboxone (.02 mg)? While at the same time while slowly increasing the suboxone while simultaneously lowering the use of the heroin/methadone/fentanyl?

It happened to me in Cyprus when they started me with Buperenorphine after 15 hours of my last H use.
They just kept on giving more till it was over which took around 24 hours. They gave me IM Diazepam to help a little (but they said that they were giving Novalgin, an NSAID).