• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids potentiating with dxm causing wds to occur sooner?

SS373dOH

Bluelight Crew
I have always raved and ranted about how good the potentation effects of dxm were. Also with it simultaneously reducing tolerance, it was my #1 suggested potentiator.

I'm starting to second guess my backing for it. Normally I have 24 hours after my last dose, until I feel wd symptoms. After I potentiate with dxm, they occur within 12 hours. This wasn't a one time thing, it occurs everytime.
%)

I would like to get into the specifics as to why ^this occurs, how potentiation biologically happens, and "theories" on why dxm lowers opioid tolerance.
It has been said that it lowers tolerance by it's NMDA antagonist properties, however other NMDA antagonists, failed to lower opioid tolerance.

Here's the link to where I read this, interesting read, it also stated that codeine's effects are actually reduced by dxm.
:\

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1576017/

Feel free to fire your dxm theories, or experiences this way.

- Hopeless 7nos

Yep, It's the begining of the thread, so I like it to have some substance.

Do you have anything to add to the topic, other than your grievances?

- SS373dOH

Dude same thing with me ... If I take any over the counter to enhance my opiates I must have a shot around for when I wake up in the middle of the night when the OTC wears off otherwise can't sleep

NMDA antagonists help reducing tolerance by inhibiting the neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase pathway. And as far as I know we don't really know yet how NMDA antagonists increase/decrease antinociception.
But not every NMDA antagonist is helpful, it seems to depend on both the Opioid and the NMDA antagonist.

For example, Redwine and Trujillo (94) found that morphine analgesia was enhanced only when co-administered with LY235959 (3mg/kg); fentanyl analgesia was enhanced in the presence of LY235959 (3mg/kg), dextromethorphan (30mg/kg) and (+)(R)-HA-966 (30mg/kg); and no difference was observed for morphine or fentanyl when co-administered with MK-801 (0.1 and 0.3mg/kg), memantine (3 and 10mg/kg), or ifendopril (1 and 3mg/kg).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2628209/

^ Ha I've been waiting for you to stop by and drop some knowledge.

Yes it seems dxm and other nmda antagonists, don't act the same acrossed the board. They're dependent on which substance their reacting with.

- 7nos

^Yeah, the problem with NMDA antagonists is there are like 4 general classes, depending on a number of modulatory sites with different structural subunit combinations and the mechanism of action isn't completely understood yet.

If you got a lot of free time, read the link I posted above, it's about how opioid tolerance works etc. :)

Another thing you could look into is Proglumide

An interesting side effect of proglumide is that it enhances the analgesia produced by opioid drugs,[5] and can prevent or even reverse the development of tolerance to opioid drugs.

Proglumide has also been shown to act as a δ-opioid agonist, which may contribute to its analgesic effects
From Wikipedia (I know wiki is not the best source, but I was too lazy to search for a better one)

I'm in the midsts of reading it now.

The other note was how wds occur faster, when using dxm, I would think dxm causes the process of metabolite excretion, to be expedited. How do you think this action occurs, on a biological level?

- 7nos

^Are you talking about all opioids or just one in particular?
If you're just talking about codeine I'd say it's because both are substrates for the CYP enzymes, but either way I'll have to look it up

Well for me I've noticed it with oxycodone, hydrocodone, and h. But for the sake of understanding, it might be beneficial to know how it interacts with the popular opiates.

- SS373dOH

Made the same mistake.. Again! I've been tapering down for while now, down to 30mg oxy a day, and a few points on a good day. I'm not catching anything on 30mg, so naturally I tried to potentiate it again, dxm is the only thing I have, so I used that. usually I have 24 hrs, but the dxm definitely speeds up the clearance of oxy, and I start having WD symptoms after 12 hours.. RLS is the main symptom..I wisely give my stash to my girl, so she can dispense of them properly, as I have zero self control lol. I only have 3 hours to go until she gets home, I've been thinking about tearing the house apart to find 'em, but I know if I do find them, more than 30mgs is going to be ingested.. Well whatever I'm rambling, just trying to pass the time.. Moral of the story, if you dose once daily like me, avoid dxm..

- hs

Yep... Took me 35 mins to cave, well 35 to have the safe picked, pill crushed and back on bl lol..So more like 30 mins to cave. I let her think she has the power with the key..
It seemed like dxm put me into hyper WD,as in it was severe, but I was going warp speed through the different stages.. I bet you can get through acute WD in 2-3 days if dxm is taken. It'll be a hell of a 2-3 day ride though!

Lol so how did you pick the safe? And did you only do 30mg? Btw which roa do you use

Lol so how did you pick the safe? And did you only do 30mg? Btw which roa do you use
with a home made pick set, and years of knowledge obtained from being a criminal deviant lol =D I used what's known as a 'rake pick'..
Yes I was able to control myself and just do 30mgs
I usually put every thing up my nose, however I will swallow some oxy or smoke a bit of my h, once in a while..

- hs