Pot-smoking moms tired of being judged by wine drinkers

tdy-120713-marijuana-moms-02.photoblog500.jpg

Every night, Margaret’s two boys fly into the house after sports practice and flip on the TV, while she races to the kitchen to get dinner cooking. “It’s that tedious witching hour when I feel incredibly frazzled,” says the Tennessee singer/songwriter mom of a 6- and an 8-year-old. But instead of pouring herself a glass or two of merlot, she heads to the standalone garage next to their house for a few puffs of Humboldt Kush, one of the four strains of pot she smokes seven days a week.

The drug helps her keep focus on the giant statue of popsicle sticks she’s building with her kids and relaxes her so she can get through the rest of the night without stressing. “It can make folding a pile of laundry fun,” says Margaret, 45, who asked that we not use her last name for fear of getting in trouble with the law. “If I didn’t smoke, that’d be three piles later in the week.”

Still, she doesn’t flaunt her marijuana use. Her sons aren’t allowed to go into the room where she keeps the drugs locked up, and she hides it from other moms who would keep their kids away if they knew she smoked pot.

“Being judged for doing something nontoxic and totally organic, enjoying a god-given plant, by moms who suck back two bottles of Chardonnay like sports drinks feels like s---,” complains Margaret. “Any hypocrisy is hard to swallow. A drunk mother is pathetic and I often leave parties when I experience other mothers tying one on.”

Margaret isn’t the only pot-smoking mom tired of being judged by moms who religiously drink glasses of wine or “mommy juice.” Recently, one mom stirred up some controversy when she admitted to parenting while stoned in an essay on Jezebel.com. Today, the group Moms for Marijuana International has more than 18,000 likes on Facebook.

“No matter what you use, you shouldn’t be judged if it works for you, you’re productive, and you do no harm,” says Diane Fornbacher, co-vice chair of the Women’s Alliance at NORML, the non-profit lobbying organization working to legalize marijuana. “Marijuana parents aren’t perfect, but they’re far less imperfect than parents who use alcohol irresponsibly. Cannabis can influence people to be nicer to one another. You rarely find a story that says two stoners beat each other up outside of a bar.”

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...s-tired-of-being-judged-by-wine-drinkers?lite

my mum smokes weed everyday for stress. i rarely see her stoned though.

she raised me quite well and i don't think i could have asked for a better mother. i mean that as well, it's not just some sappy cliché bullshit im regurgitating.

i used to smoke to get chores done, or clean up and organize and of course just to relax and watch some quality tv. My dad uses cannabis much the same way and has been doing so for over 30 years. My girlfriend also smokes like this. Most people i know who smoke, function fine or better than normal.

“Being judged for doing something nontoxic and totally organic, enjoying a god-given plant, by moms who suck back two bottles of Chardonnay like sports drinks feels like s---,
great quote, can even apply to drinking pod or seed tea that i use for relaxation and to get things done.

i think that's a pretty cool article, maybe more moms will pick up cannabis as a result of reading this.

I find cannabis to help relax me and open me up, and it also makes me more playful.
For these and other reasons, it works fantastically at enhancing communication between me and other members of my family, including my children.
It also helps me play with my children like a child, crazy and reckless and wild and fun.
It also helps me find energy at the end of a long day, since my children don't care that I am already exhausted when they are hungry. I like to get high and cook, and then take a bath, and read to my kids before bed.

I would rather have a parent high on cannabis than drunk, hands-down.
Much more able to take care of children while high than drunk.

I know that some people will judge me for being high around my children, but my children don't know (I never smoke around them) - all they know is I have more energy and am sillier than I was a few minutes ago. I still take fantastic care of them.

I have experienced the bullshit "alcoholic parents are fine, but parents who smoke weed and then play with their children are monsters" attitude before. I am not a fan of this attitude, so I really appreciated the article.

Too bad I can't smoke cannabis where I live now. Sigh.
I really like being high.

I've not had a rational conversation with anyone who didn't accept the alcohol analogy
Unfortunately I still think there's plenty of people out there who don't agree.
I'm glad stories like this make the news.
Reminds me there are still rational people around

something tells me shes just a drop in the bucket compared to the true amount of parents that get stoned here and there, or even often. My bet would be on the 30 to 45 generation. The parents who grew up in a culture with marijuana. I know my niece has two very stoned parents. They both work and have a wonderful relationship with their daughter. Plus she thinks the world of her father because of the music he creates and cannabis plays a good role as inspiration for him, so its possible his music could have been completely different without his cannabis smoking.

all you have to do to make people who are against drugs look like fools is ask them what musicians they like.

^ Or ask them what we should do about the caffeine problem that has taken over the world.
Nearly everyone is addicted!

ya but we tried the caffeine trick with both alcohol and tobacco didnt work. the world would stop for at least two weeks if caffeine disappeared.

yeah i like my caffeine.

i also would rather have a parent that smokes cannabis over alcohol. my father at some rough points in life really pissed me off when he was getting belligerent to often, also drinking and driving scares the shit out of me would always worry about him getting into trouble, still do because he still drinks and drives occasionally.

I can't stand coffee.

That shit gives me the shakes and the squirts something fierce. Illegalize it!

I will seek out this woman and marry her, for good or ill.

Great article needs to posted over and over so the dumb people get it to.

I totally feel where this woman is coming from. Being a productive stoner is awesome... you get the right strain and you end up cleaning your whole house, cooking a bunch of dank food, doing all the laundry, and building shit. There's a fine line with mary as with anything though... Like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, etc. Too much of ANYTHING is bad.

once your grown you should be able to do any drugs you want as long as it's not effecting you or others in a negative way

Both of my parents smoked cannabis my whole life, and my mom still does. I really cant put into words how good of parents they were, I feel like I was extremely blessed to have such rational, level headed, people raising me... Both worked jobs, and were completely productive and responsible. Most if not all the people I know who smoke are not the stereotypical stoners the government tries to portray to people.

euphoria;10754079 said:
There's a fine line with mary as with anything though... Like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, etc. Too much of ANYTHING is bad.

This. Although I agree with the general response here, that moderate, responsible use of cannabis while parenting is no more harmful than say, having a beer or coffee while parenting, I disagree with the alcohol analogy. Comparing someone who uses cannabis discreetly, without their kids knowing, to help them interact with their kids, or give them motivation to cook or do laundry is in no way analogous to a drunk.

With the drunk analogy, the inference (drunk) is that is clearly affecting their judgement and parenting skills in a negative fashion. That this parent(s) is having 3+ alcohol drinks, and that it interferes with their duties as parents. This, converting into marijuana smoking, would be more akin to the people who sit around and just smoke bowl after bowl until they've gone through an eighth in an hour, and then they simply fall asleep.

Meanwhile, the responsible parent who smokes is much more akin to the parent that has a glass of wine at dinner to help them with laundry, de-stress them so they can play with their kids, etc.

I think as we get closer to legalization/decriminalization, it's important to frame the argument with specifics. That it's just as bad to say that "weed is always bad" as it is to say "weed is always good". Rational, specific arguments will greatly assist the movements to decriminalize marijuana.

^^^
I completely agree. It just frustrates me beyond belief as a responsible cannabis user that an adult can readily buy alcohol, which is known as one of the most dangerous substances to become physically habituated to, while if the same adult decides to use something as benign as cannabis (without a license to do so), they are punished. Its completely ass backwards... And thats an understatement 8(

If she's using responsibly, and it's not getting in the way of her parenting... who gives a fuck?

I'm positive she functions better hitting the bowl two or three times, then she would be if she drank a bottle of wine..