• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Pot Brownies - First time - a nightmare from hell

I know this topic is old and I'm sorry about that, but I joined just now because what you describe in the first post happened to me just today. Well, last night and today. It was almost like reading something i wrote, you described everything I felt down to a T...only thing is, I really did call 911 (I was alone) and they really did come to get me, so I was even MORE convinced that I was dying and that this was what death was like. I also had that time thing happen, where it's like you're caught in a time warp and it feels like it's not moving and then you have hallucinations on top of it that feel SO REAL, that you forget that all you're really doing is sitting there, doing nothing, staring off into space......just that, all while your mind is raging about what it THINKS is really going on and letting you see it in dream like states.

My God, it was horrible, and I'm still feeling after effects 16 hours later (and haven't slept), but reading your experience about it here helped me a lot in realizing I was not alone. Thank you.

I'm glad my old trip report helped in some way. I'm still affected by this. Edibles will really fuck you up and they should not be underestimated if you have no tolerance, someone in my household with no tolerance decided to partake without telling anyone and it fucked them up in the same way it did me. Luckily we where better prepared this time with ibuprofen and benzos. Psychosis is fucked.

I still wish I could describe what I felt when my brain was "frozen" It was an infinite timeless loop where I was a statue and I would curl up into a ball and then unfurl outwards; In between everything would shake and I would pose. All of this was against my will. The only thought I could have was: "this is it, I'm dead and it's really real hell is real" I know I've described this before but I've never found or read about anyone having this type of a trip. It still scares and bugs the hell out of me I wish there was an explanation (I mean other than I was high as balls)

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just registered to share the worst trip of my life.

I used to smoke pot back in college (7-8 years ago), but I'm now petty much smoke-free.

Yesterday I went to a friend's house and they had baked brownies. 2 of them eat a very big piece each. I didn't. We ware playing mario kart and they kept saying they were high as balls, laughed a lot, etc. They are pretty heavy users of pot.

As I was leaving I ate a very little piece, smaller than a cookie, and I left (I was starving and I thought a small piece like (compared to theirs) that wouldn't do any effect. I came home to my wife and we started watching TV.

About an hour later my hell began. My body started feeling all weird, all wobbly. Then my heart rate increased from like 70 to 150 and kept pumping. I felt my chest very tight and I kept thinking that I was going to die. I told me wife I needed to get out ASAP so we get to the street and walk around the block a couple of times. Then, optical effects started: I started sein in what was like 3-D cinema effect. Everything kept getting closer, jumping out at me. All the lights were very strange (it was at night).

I had had bad trips in the past from smoking but nothing nowhere near at feeling like this. I started to freak out a lot, the effects kept getting stronger. I didn't feel the interior of my mouth. I tried to move my tongue and it felt like my mouth was like a huge hangar; infinite compared to the smallness of my tongue to touch any boundaries.

I kept thinking I'd have heart attack and my heart pumped and pumped. I was on the verge of mental collapse.

I couldn't help it any longer; internet didn't help so I went to the hospital; I needed relief.

So I get to hospital, they check all my vital signs and they were through the roof. They gave me sublingual benzos to chill me and from there everything was much much better (thanks to the insurance for keeping the ER bill at nil.)

I came home feeling a lot better. We watched TV and I fell asleep.

Today I'm ALMOST me again. I still feel some after effects of the high, and are still a little nervious for what happened.

^glad u made it! I've had times where edibles almost killed me for sure, mostly from combining with kratom, or seroquel. THC can be such a dangerous potentiator!

Glad I read this...it always seems like I'm the only person that can't smoke weed. It causes or should I say brings out my most severe anxiety and panic. At one time, I could smoke, and really liked it in fact.

Then, one night I had this horrible reaction we're talking about. Since then I am unable to get high. I've tried, believe me, with a lot of time in between tries. I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it.

What happened? I'm the same way. Same experience, basically.. I havn't smoked now in almost 2 years. I plan on trying again later in life maybe a few years down the road. But just wondering if you've gotten over it yet or not? Wondering if it will be something that just sticks forever, I guess.

Worst thing ever, had a campfire up this Forrest with my friends, had a beer and 2 big slices of brownie, after an hour I started feeling weird, like everything was out of focus and I could feel my self talking shit.. Ditched my pals and went on a walk, kept thinking I was walking the same stretch of path over and over, ended up collapsing in a hedge, not being able to move and what I can only describe as a seizure occurred... Lying there almost paralysed and drooling feeling my eyes bulging, horrific visions, as if life as we knew it was a lie.. Woke up at midnight not a clue where I was... I never knew pot could do this to you, it's mentally scarred me and won't be touching that shit again.. Stuff of nightmares

What happened? I'm the same way. Same experience, basically.. I havn't smoked now in almost 2 years. I plan on trying again later in life maybe a few years down the road. But just wondering if you've gotten over it yet or not? Wondering if it will be something that just sticks forever, I guess.

I don't know if you where talking to me but I still don't enjoy marijuana, even if it doesn't give me anxiety it just doesn't do anything for me. Before my bad trip it would be something neat to do once in a while.

Worst thing ever, had a campfire up this Forrest with my friends, had a beer and 2 big slices of brownie, after an hour I started feeling weird, like everything was out of focus and I could feel my self talking shit.. Ditched my pals and went on a walk, kept thinking I was walking the same stretch of path over and over, ended up collapsing in a hedge, not being able to move and what I can only describe as a seizure occurred... Lying there almost paralysed and drooling feeling my eyes bulging, horrific visions, as if life as we knew it was a lie.. Woke up at midnight not a clue where I was... I never knew pot could do this to you, it's mentally scarred me and won't be touching that shit again.. Stuff of nightmares

I feel you, I'm glad I was home and had nothing to do... I felt the same way and even mimicked having a seizure but it probably wasn't a seizure but psychosis. Edibles will fuck you up especially if you have little or no tolerance. It is a powerful psychedelic drug.

I had a very scary pot experience a few weeks ago. I didn't even realize you could have bad pot experiences, because before this they had all been great. Well, I am never touching Sativa again, and probably not Indica either.

I was visiting my friends in the Netherlands, and I hadn't smoked in about a month, and back then I didn't even really smoke that much. Well, two hits (which were quite big hits) from this bong went straight to my head. And you know, weed takes about 20 minutes or so to really hit its apex, but this hit me strong immediately. And I knew that I was in for a long haul, because I knew I hadn't even reached the apex yet. I could feel myself getting higher and higher, and I knew that I was fucked, which caused me to have intense panic (I'm usually a very calm person). I would try hard not to think about being high, but every once in a while my whirlwind of a mind would land on the rock that told me I was HIGH, and I would start freaking out. Everything physical was so intense, the cars going by (which I remember were actually quiet, I remember that from being sober) would sound like hurricanes, and the silence in between would be so long and still, it felt like being in a grave.

When I was at my highest, my brain was in such agony, I felt like I was in hell. I didn't really hallucinate, but I did feel like I was on a journey through different colors, which is actually pretty typical for me. But I would check my phone about ten times a minute, because I was trying to see if a minute had passed yet, and it almost never had.

The trip has given me a lot of anxiety about hell and eternity.

Then it is a Sativa dominant/high sativa hybrid. If you eat too much of an indica brownie, you'll fall asleep. You don't get paranoia.

-Indica (pure Indica) can make you freak out, green out, have the tighty whitey's, etc
-Sativa (pure Sativa) can make you fall asleep

The tendency may be for Indica's to relax, calm you down and put you to sleep; but they are easily capable of having the opposite effect - making you all strung out and wired and actively hallucinating if taken in a large enough quantity.

Tom

I'm a medical pot user, smoke 5-20x a day for nausea, arthritis and insomnia and I still occasionally get panic attacks when smoking, ranging from the 'ah crap, I've smoked a bit too much and it's gonna be unpleasant' up to having full blown OEV's/CEV's, colour shifting tactile hallucinations and synaesthesia. The more severe episodes tend to happen when a) I've had a long tolerance break, b) smoke too much too quickly, c) try a new strain or d) smoke something very strong.

Yes I have anxiety issues and am under therapy for it. Having the adverse anxiogenic effects from Cannabis sucks badly but I put up with it and keep coming back because it's replacing 4 other meds for me.

When I was a recreational user, episodes like this did turn me off pot frequently for weeks or months at a time. Now though, I'll just turn off all the lights, tv, etc, pull a blanket over myself and ride it out. I might feel like I'm dying, but know I'm not.

Tom

I made pot brownies with killer cheeze pot and i put almost a 1/4 in when i was wd from opioids after being on ops daily 20 years. I also high dosed lyrica with the brownies the first couple days. I remember being stoned out of my mind on the combo crazy shit! im smiling stone 24 hours into wds. I went outside with headphones on for a walk on first day and i swear i tripped with hard rock blasting in my ears as i walked. I remember being stumbly as hell and laughing lyrica and weed brownies great combo!!!!

I find it funny people are still replying to this thread years later... I've still never touched edibles again, occasionally I will take a hit and all I get is anxiety or I feel nothing at all. I've never felt the same after that trip. My perspective on life changed in some kind of way and not for the better. But I've always had horrible anxiety.

Occasionally my significant other will try to get me to do a "dab" ... hellllll no to that

cannabis is just not for some people

Thought I'd share my story as I've had a bad brownie experience. Not a crazy as the OPs though. Never really had any anxiety apart from a bit of 'stage fright' you could say. I've always been fairly confident and social around people and friends whether sober or intoxicated. Taken drugs occasionally since about 18(I'm 24) mainly coke then a little bit of weed, mdma and mushrooms and never had a bad experience.

A couple of months before this happened in the space of about a week I'd taken ecstasy, eaten brownies and pizzas and smoked a little and had a good time. Anyway I was hanging out drinking at my friends hostel and one of my friends baked a load of brownies and I stupidly overestimated my tolerance. About half an hour after eating them I felt stoned and giggly until when one of my friends laughed and pointed out how fucked I was. I don't know why but it put a little negativity in my head and I started feeling uncomfortable, then it started going downhill from there ! As more people who I didn't really know started hanging around in the common area I was getting more and more uncomfortable and felt like they could all see how fucked I was !

The door to a chill out area, where I wanted to lie down on a couch, was locked so I just sat down in the common area. Apart from feeling like an absolute alien , my heart started pounding like it was gonna burst out my chest, my hands where shaking uncontrollably and I couldn't focus my eyes or my thoughts on anything. People where asking if I was good but I could barley reply. I think they just thought I was having a Whitey ! I didn't realise I was having a panic attack at the time because I'd never had one before, I just thought the brownies had fucked me all the way up, even though I'd never felt like that from any other drug I'd taken before. I wanted to get the hell out of there and go home but I was literally frozen in the chair. I eventually left with one of my friends in a taxi. I was absolutely exhausted the next day.

Afterwards if any of my friends laughed about that time I was fucked off brownies, i just couldn't laugh at it, like I'd get uncomfortable thinking about how terrified I was. Anyway, like a month later i had 3 out of the blue panic attacks in 3 days in situations that i would find completely comfortable and non threatening. The first one I was chatting to a guy in a food court, the second I was at a restaurant with my girlfriend and the third I was stood in a train station with my girlfriend. On the outside I tried to hide it but inside I was completely terrified and felt all the same physical sensations I felt during the brownie panic attack. (Adrenaline, pounding heart, shaking hands, not being able to focus) They didn't last long and ended when I left the situation but for the rest of the day I would feel exhausted and embarrassed.

All this occurred about 2 months ago and I haven't had any drugs since and don't really feel like taking any again. I feel like the whole brownie episode had 'unlocked' the 3 other panic attacks I had and changed something about me and now in some social settings where I feel like I could be put on the spot or be centre of attention I have a lingering feeling of anxiety.

I guess il just have to live a more healthy life until I start feeling like myself again !

For sure, oral THC is one of the heaviest trips out there sometimes especially concerning introspection. I really enjoy it though personally sometimes you need to take a hard look at yourself to figure out what changes are due.

Edible cannabis is a fucking strong visual heavy body mind fuck trip that can be anxiety or very relaxing if you manage to meditate down stream and let the music guide your soul to the other side.

I don't partake of cannabinoids of any type myself but I saw a guy eat 4 brownies not so long ago and basically pass into a coma for about 5 hours. Out like a light. I thought eating the stuff was just for a giggle - was very surprised to see what it can do.