• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

"Using Brion Gysin’s cut-up technique, he would juxtapose photographic imagery alongside rearranged headlines from the right-wing New York Post to convey shocking, yet often humorous messages. These Xeroxes were from Haring’s first public guerrilla art wheatpasting project."

Haring_HumiliationVictim_1stdibs_master.jpg

i'm feeling ...

Sally%2BMann%252C%2BEyeless%2Bin%2BCoalto%252C%2B1993.jpg

"Eyeless in Cal Alto" by sally mann, 1993

saw it in person on thursday at chicago's museum of contemporary photography. second sally mann print i've seen. this one is reasonably big, about 24" by 20". it's part of their permanent collection, but it's not always on display. thanks to the curation of teju cole, it's up through this sunday (sept 29). they have several more sally mann prints in their collection, including of "Candy Cigarette" and "The Perfect Tomato."

i'm grateful this one is up. it's not featured in the Immediate Family photo book. while the half lit face is a trope, this is a worthwhile iteration. mann's photos are so practiced, yet she embraces serendipity. producing ethereal results. with a touch of disturbing. "haunting." odes to her morbid lineage. virginia's hair -- a sally mann staple -- is beautiful. the adornment might be honeysuckle.

Last edited:
This is amazing @schizopath, I've seen loads of stuff based around Our Lady of The Holy Death (Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte) BUT this is new to me & I love it sssooo much. I am going to steal it & stick it up on my Twitter account I run about her.