• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

🐶 Pets 🐱 Post a picture of your pets

ghostandthedarknes

Bluelighter

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
This is my baby girl, Sadie, at 6 months.
She turns 11 this month

here she is now snuggling with her big brother, Ollie

Baby Sadie! I'm glad you have that picture. When Stripey was a kitten, there were no smartphones yet and being that I was in college and poor, I had no camera whatsoever, so there are no kitten pictures of him and I am really sad about that. He was the cutest kitten of all time.

mal3volent

Sr. Moderator: CEPS, TL, S&G
Staff member
So my 15 year old dog has been starting to show signs of dementia the last several months. Been getting worse and worse. I'm familiar with it, gone through it with other dogs. First big change is they start sleeping all day and have trouble sleeping at night. They get panicky and walk around panting all night. Mine drinks water constantly to the point I have to take it away. then I'm taking her out to pee all night. She gets very exhausted and disoriented.

I took her to the vet today despite being broke. They gave her 300mg gabapentin 2x day. Does anyone have any experience with gaba in dogs for anxiety? I'm really praying this works.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
So my 15 year old dog has been starting to show signs of dementia the last several months. Been getting worse and worse. I'm familiar with it, gone through it with other dogs. First big change is they start sleeping all day and have trouble sleeping at night. They get panicky and walk around panting all night. Mine drinks water constantly to the point I have to take it away. then I'm taking her out to pee all night. She gets very exhausted and disoriented.

I took her to the vet today despite being broke. They gave her 300mg gabapentin 2x day. Does anyone have any experience with gaba in dogs for anxiety? I'm really praying this works.

Sorry man. :( I do not have experience with gabapentin for dogs, but my cat recently got prescribed it for pain. He seems to enjoy it, the first couple of days it made him super high, almost alarmingly so (just 50mg, too). He was doing stuff like walking into walls, missing his food bowl when he tried to eat, etc. After the first 2 days he seemed to get used to it and seems like he's chillin'. I am not sure how that translates to anxiety, but he seems to tolerate it well and it gives him the munchies and certainly improves his pain.

It's so hard when the animals you love get old. I feel you 100%. I hope this helps her be more comfortable. For what it's worth, gabapentin works quite well for anxiety in humans, certainly does for me. So I see no reason to think it wouldn't help with animals, too.