• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy seeds for pain relief--how much?

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Hi, I want to get into using poppy seeds for daily pain relief for a chronic inflammatory arthritis condition. Right now I'm chewing ~1/4tsp of seeds 3x/day, and I do feel something, as I'm pretty sensitive. But I also understand it could be much higher. What's a normal dose for a 112lb man? I'd like to stay on the conservative side, as I don't want to risk getting addicted.

I don't want to make a tea, as I like to keep the fiber in the medicine that I take to balance out things in a holistic manner.

Thanks.

Quite a loaded question lol.

People have OD'd on poppy seed tea. DRINK slow! It takes 4-5 hours for the effects to peak (sometimes longer) and you can't take it back if you get whooped because you drank too much the first two hours. I'd say give your batch a test gauge at first (maybe a handful of seeds) to see how strong the content is.. People underestimate seed tea. It's a family of alkloids unwanted or not and there's so many effects. Once you know where your tolerance is at with seed tea it's easier to work from there. Some batches are total duds while others can produce cups as strong as fent. I find it to be so long lasting so it's kind of exhausting (like LSD).. like can this itchy high be over yet? Also constipation is to be feared with it lol. It's a thing. I get that you have a condition but to rely on seed tea--the withdrawal is the demagorgon from stranger things. Horribleeee. You can avoid addiction--but try not to predict what happens. There's really no telling with opiates.

It's not my life but probably best to save seed tea for the days when your flare ups are the worst. Seed tea addiction sneaks up on people like a ninja. Never combine seed tea with benzos omg. A mistake often forgotten. I drank one beer on seed tea and vomited like crazy so alcohol and seed tea don't seem to work well together.

Last edited:
I said I don't want to make tea.

Oh wow I apologize.. embarrassing. You can chew more seeds without throwing in drastically higher doses. The problem is that your tolerance will match the higher doses in time. A long as you don't chew large amounts of seeds out of nowhere the risk isn't too high.

As for as dosage goes... it's so random so no one can recommend a measurable amount. This is one of those things where your body determines the dosing over a numbered measurement.

The alkaloids that you want are on the surface of the seeds only so eating them is pointless and you are also ingesting the oils which usually make people vomit. They're also very calorific to eat in huge quantities. It's really not wise.
Anybody just washes them and drinks the rinse (called tea). That's what you need to do I'm afraid.
A teaspoon of seeds won't do anything at all even if they were the best ever. It's all placebo what you felt. You need to wash at least half a pound of seeds then sip the "tea" a little and see how you get on. Drink it slowly over the course of hours till you feel ok.

And if you drink it everyday you'll get addicted. That's the nature of opioids. You also can't predict a dosage because seeds can be coated with a vastly different amounts of alkaloids. You might get a batch that's bunk and one that's very potent so you can't have a standard dose. Dose is also dependent on tolerance, not weight.
Do you use pharmaceutical opioids at the moment?

No, I don't take pharmaceutical opioids. I feel something from less than a teaspoon of seeds. You say placebo, I say self-aware/sensitive. Potato potahto.

No, I don't take pharmaceutical opioids. I feel something from less than a teaspoon of seeds. You say placebo, I say self-aware/sensitive. Potato potahto.
What do you feel exactly? There are only micrograms of morphine on seeds so impossible really to feel anything from less than a spoonful. I'm just curious really. I think it's placebo also because you seem to not have an experience of what an opioid high is like not having done pharmaceuticals. I assume you haven't done heroin either.

You lost me at "impossible to feel"
It's just very unlikely you are that sensitive to opioids that you would feel any effect from chewing that amount. But if it works for you, what's the problem? Just keep doing that, you have minimal risk of addiction with such minimal amounts.

If you are eating the seeds, you will literally vomit before getting high. You need to make tea for this to work, I need 1KG for it to work, I cant even imagine eating that many seeds.

1/4 of a teaspoon? That's an extremely low dose even if you have really, really strong seeds. Generally people need to use 100-200 grams of seeds to get a dose. I used to use 800 grams of seeds at a time, and my seeds were very strong (though I had a huge opiate tolerance at the time). Even when I got back into opiates after 5 years and had strong seeds, I had to use at least 250 grams to get an effect.

Why are you opposed to making a tea? It's easy, use room temperature water and shake them up for 5-10 minutes, and strain. And do a second extraction. To get a proper dose, it's necessary, as eating that many seeds would be hellish.

But then, if it's working for you, then I guess you already have a working method. If you can get relief from 1/4 teaspoon of seeds, stick with that. You're very unlikely to experience addiction that way (in fact I would just say the placebo effect can be very powerful, and is entirely non-addictive, which is a good thing). You do not want to get addicted to opiates.

If 1/4 teaspoon of poppyseed is intoxicating, I don't want to see what happens if you try a poppyseed strudel...

Also, lots of commercial poppyseed is treated/washed before sale, to prevent usage of it in poppy seed tea. Even in the "good old days", poppy seeds were not standardized for alkaloid content. 1kg of seeds could have 8mg morphine or 800mg morphine, and you can't tell very easily.

Last edited: