• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy Seed Tea Causing Terrible Stomach Ache

SpareRib

Bluelighter
I made some poppy seed tea from poppy seeds that I purchased online. It's my second time purchasing from this supplier and didn't have an issue with the seeds purchased previously.

About 10-15 min. after drinking about a half cup of the tea, I was doubled over in excruciating pain. It felt like a gall bladder attack (I had my gallbladder removed about a month ago due to gallstones). The pain went was all throughout my chest and abdomen. It subsided and returned a few times. Had I not taken the tea and I was in pain like this, I would have gone to the ER, that's how bad it was, and I don't even know if the tea had any euphoric effects because the pain was overwhelming.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I tried making the tea again from the same batch of seeds, only this time, reducing the amount of tea that I drank and I had the same result, though the pain didn't last quite as long.

The seeds are very strong. Just a few shakes in water and the water turns a dark brownish yellowish color.

What could be going on? Could there be something else in the seeds causing this reaction? I've read that theabine could cause stomach cramps, but I this bad? I've never had this problem with PST before!

I've certainly has various opiates cause extreme bloating from constipation. This builds up gas in the intestines/guts which can be extremely painful but is worse depending on what you have eaten.

Try something like simethicone (brand name degas) which is an anti foaming agent and reduces surface tension of liquid. It helps you pass gas- might be useful to you.

If it continues, I would try a different supplier.

Its normal with poppy seed tea and opium, they are very hard on the stomach in general, switching to oxycodone or another pharm opiate would help most probably but since this probably isnt a realistic option I second aboves advice.

Thank you both. Jaredborgetti - Oxycodone is my preferred opiate for sure but not always easy to get my hands , hence the use of PST.

About 10-15 min. after drinking about a half cup of the tea, I was doubled over in excruciating pain. It felt like a gall bladder attack (I had my gallbladder removed about a month ago due to gallstones). The pain went was all throughout my chest and abdomen. It subsided and returned a few times. Had I not taken the tea and I was in pain like this, I would have gone to the ER, that's how bad it was, and I don't even know if the tea had any euphoric effects because the pain was overwhelming.

Opioids can cause spasm of the Sphincter of Oddi. Seeing as tea is a whole cocktail of opium constituents including thebaine, which only reinforces the effect, you might have to stick to pharmaceutical opioids or at the very least another brand of seeds.

Traditional teaching dictates that morphine induces "spasm" in the sphincter of Oddi (SO)All narcotics increased biliary pressure, but morphine was associated with the largest elevation.Narcotic-induced increases in phasic wave frequency interfere with SO filling and are responsible for the increase in bile duct pressure seen on the initial studies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11316181

That is PROBABLY acid reflux. Is the pain just below the sternum area? Is the pain sharp? When I took PST too, I had the same thing happen. It was one of the worst pains of my life, I was literally screaming in pain. I ended up taking Protonix 40mg (2 of them) and it took the pain away. I don't think it had anything to do with the gallbladder ( I could be wrong). But I have had mine removed, and the problem still happened. It might mimic a gallbladder attack because the area is so close together, but im putting my money on "acid reflux".

Acid Reflux can have different types of feelings. One is the "normal" feeling where you get a burning sensation that goes up the esophagus. The other feeling is a severe sharp pain that stays just below the sternum (it can radiate to other places too). Typically any GERD type medicine, ie. Tums, Rolaids, Protonix (what I use), will get rid of that pain. Sometimes you have to take more, sometimes you have to take less. But anyways, like I said... When I took my Protonix, the problem went away.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
That is PROBABLY acid reflux. Is the pain just below the sternum area? Is the pain sharp? When I took PST too, I had the same thing happen. It was one of the worst pains of my life, I was literally screaming in pain. I ended up taking Protonix 40mg (2 of them) and it took the pain away. I don't think it had anything to do with the gallbladder ( I could be wrong). But I have had mine removed, and the problem still happened. It might mimic a gallbladder attack because the area is so close together, but im putting my money on "acid reflux".

I suppose that you could say that the pain was below the sternum area. It radiated all around, sometimes to my back. Interesting that you seem to have had a similar experience, I would never in my life think of this pain as coming from gas. Maybe it's related to the gallbladder removals somehow, but...

I tried the PST ONE MORE time, taking just a few sips, and I didn't have the stomach ache but felt all of the effects. I do have some tolerance but I clearly was drinking too much at once. Gotta be careful with this stuff. I'll have some reflux meds ready in case.

i drank PST made from at least 1lb of seeds at least once daily from 2012-2018, only stopped because i went to jail and am now drug tested all the time.

there are many other alkaloids in there aside from the several well known ones. prison doctor said there were "hundreds" of chemicals in PST. don't know if i'd believe that... but there were times i got an extremely bad stomach ache - anyones guess what it could've been from. i would buy 25lbs at a time, always from the same supplier. strength and both positive/negative effects would vary with each dose. just too many variables. i'd really only recommend it for addicts with substantial tolerance and no other choice.

i drank PST made from at least 1lb of seeds at least once daily from 2012-2018, only stopped because i went to jail and am now drug tested all the time.

there are many other alkaloids in there aside from the several well known ones. prison doctor said there were "hundreds" of chemicals in PST. don't know if i'd believe that... but there were times i got an extremely bad stomach ache - anyones guess what it could've been from. i would buy 25lbs at a time, always from the same supplier. strength and both positive/negative effects would vary with each dose. just too many variables. i'd really only recommend it for addicts with substantial tolerance and no other choice.

There are hella different alkaloids in Poppy Seed tea.

The first opi I got addicted to was PST. I always enjoyed the experience. Several times I got the same stomach pain you described. Like maybe 4 times over a year.

Would come out of nowhere a little after onset, very painful. Would subside in 30-60 mins.

Codeine and Loperamide both have caused the same thing for me. Nothing else though, not pharma or dope. No rhyme or reason as to when it would happen. I wouldn't worry about it.

You had a gallbladder removed a month ago and cant get pharmaceutical opioids? Dark times.

Are you sure the pain isn't associated with you surgery/ condition ?

You had a gallbladder removed a month ago and cant get pharmaceutical opioids? Dark times.

Are you sure the pain isn't associated with you surgery/ condition ?

In Australia - and I literally have a close family member going into gallbladder surgery today, but most of my immediate family has done so and had it removed. You would get a tiny amount of morphine going into ER/Triage and pre-op. Post-op you might get a single dose of morphine, unless you get complications, then a few oxy tablets (maybe a couple days worth), definitely nothing stronger than codeine for home and even then, pissy little amounts.

All assuming a relatively normal process with no severe complications.

Getting ANY opioid a full month after a relatively small procedure would be highly unusual.

There is no clear indication whether poppy seed tea contains caffeine or not. However, poppy seed tea is widely used for its mild sedative function, which may help people fall asleep faster and more soundly. But take note that it doesn’t mean that poppy seed tea does not cause any of the possible side effects that caffeine has. In fact, if taken in excess, poppy seed tea may actually cause nausea and stomach pain.