• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy Seed Tea and Breast Feeding

sourberry

Greenlighter
First post, am new here, sorry if this is in the wrong topic.
Okay, I've tried a few times to find information on the subject without asking anyone but that hasn't worked. So I decided to come here with hopes someone has any info to spare me. I am a breast feeding mom, I have hurt myself recently and the pain is getting to be a bit to much. (I have back problems and I pulled my back)
I have used poppy seed tea before I was pregnant, but not since then. I am wondering how long the opiate would be I my breast milk, of it needs to be pumped and dumped, or if the drug leaves the breast milk like alcohol does?
During labor, I was given two shots of nubain and also a I.V of fentanyl, and T3's for recovery. That leads me to assume the opiate doesn't really get into the breast milk much seeing as they let me breast feed right away and during the recovery time, without any precaution. I would prefer to not have any drug in the milk when I nurse. (I have a stash so when she needs to eat it will be there) In the hospital while receiving the medicine it never really occurred to me it would be in my breast milk until now that I need something for pain. If anyone has any info(considering assumedly none of us are doctors), please let me know. I will not be using the tea if after 24 hours it still is in the breast milk.
edit: I also read the half life of morphine in milk is 3 hours. But I do not know if that means it is out of the milk at that point? Never really understood or needed to understand the whole half-life thing.

Last edited:
Yes you can not use Opiates.... Discuss your need to manage physical pain with your doctor.. Standing in a pool meditating using mindful breathing will be great help in the meantime or even in the shower.

"Maternal use of oral narcotics during breastfeeding can cause infant drowsiness, central nervous system depression and even death. Infant sedation is common and well documented with maternal use of oxycodone. Newborn infants seem to be particularly sensitive to the effects of even small dosages of narcotic analgesics."

source

I am a bit confused as to why the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) has morphine as an approved drug if it can cause infant death.
Thank you for your answers, I am going to pass on the tea.