• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy Growing Questions

Got 5 in a small’ish pot in the window sill, the rest are still out in nature. I’ll hopefully report back once I got that sweet opium.

-GC

@F.U.B.A.R.
@kaosisallwesee
@draculic acid69

So just went out to check them. Of the first batch which I placed in a more open meadow area, only two seemed to make it. I notice two small pods about the size of my ring finger nail that survived.

The other younger batch looked to have 5-6 still with it, but needed more sunlight and weren’t grown big yet.

Now I understand these two first pods are next to nothing in size but any chance I could score them to get even a .1g worth? Or should I just chop em down and dry em out for later use?

If I can get the other 8-9 I have to get decent, even if the same small size, I’m hoping even .2-.3g worth and I’d be happy.

This first year is definite learning, I feel I need looser soil for them next year as they seemed to have really brittle root systems and like to fall over.

Any help is appreciated. The two pods, one had like this fuzzy hair shit falling off it that I’ve seen on other non morphine related poppies, where along are they in terms of alkaloids when they got that fuzz on em?

-GC

AFAIK, there shouldnt be any 'fuzzy hair shit' going on with opium poppies. Are you sure they're Papaver somniferum?

Either way , I'd say you're wasting your time scoring them. It takes a fuck of a lot of poppies to get a decent yield of opium - unless the pods are the size of a tennis ball and you live in Afghanistan. When the latex runs out it looks like a lot - until it dries. Even then, it's not a suitable product for smoking as the vast majority of the lump of snot you're left with is vegetable matter. To get decent smoking opium it has to be dissolved in water then filtered to remove the solids. It just doesn't seem to be feasible on a small scale.

Better to just brew the fuckers up...

AFAIK, there shouldnt be any 'fuzzy hair shit' going on with opium poppies. Are you sure they're Papaver somniferum?

Either way , I'd say you're wasting your time scoring them. It takes a fuck of a lot of poppies to get a decent yield of opium - unless the pods are the size of a tennis ball and you live in Afghanistan. When the latex runs out it looks like a lot - until it dries. Even then, it's not a suitable product for smoking as the vast majority of the lump of snot you're left with is vegetable matter. To get decent smoking opium it has to be dissolved in water then filtered to remove the solids. It just doesn't seem to be feasible on a small scale.

Better to just brew the fuckers up...

These were seeds from dried pods used for extraction, the pods they came from were of average potency.

Maybe it was the petals? Idk.

Here’s a pic...

Notice like the hair things coming off the right one.

That’s about what they looked like too in that pic only small lol. Appreciate the advice, I figured that was the probable answer.

-GC

Oh I get you now. Yeh, that's just the remnants of the petals. Are your flowers like those in the picture or are you just using that picture as an example? The reason I ask is that there are many ornamental cultivars available that have pretty much had all the active alkaloids bred out of them.

Oh I get you now. Yeh, that's just the remnants of the petals. Are your flowers like those in the picture or are you just using that picture as an example? The reason I ask is that there are many ornamental cultivars available that have pretty much had all the active alkaloids bred out of them.

Those aren’t the flowers, just a random picture. Now that I see how spindly the petals are it makes sense.

The seeds I used were from dried pods that I had tried and tested, they are of known potency. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting my time and figured the best way was to get seeds from pods pretty much destined for consumption (the site obviously knows it’s customers use these for whatever based on what they say). So I kept all the seeds I could from the pods for later use.

-GC

@F.U.B.A.R.
@kaosisallwesee
@draculic acid69

So just went out to check them. Of the first batch which I placed in a more open meadow area, only two seemed to make it. I notice two small pods about the size of my ring finger nail that survived.

The other younger batch looked to have 5-6 still with it, but needed more sunlight and weren’t grown big yet.

Now I understand these two first pods are next to nothing in size but any chance I could score them to get even a .1g worth? Or should I just chop em down and dry em out for later use?

If I can get the other 8-9 I have to get decent, even if the same small size, I’m hoping even .2-.3g worth and I’d be happy.

This first year is definite learning, I feel I need looser soil for them next year as they seemed to have really brittle root systems and like to fall over.

Any help is appreciated. The two pods, one had like this fuzzy hair shit falling off it that I’ve seen on other non morphine related poppies, where along are they in terms of alkaloids when they got that fuzz on em?

-GC
Leaves and stems have hairs on them on some strains

Hi! How would you obtain the plants in the first place? I'm an avid flower nut, yard is full of them, but you sure don't get them from the local nursery or even online nurseries, lol. Growing them here in WI would probably be a no go anyway, but curious, thanks.😊
A friend's Mom grew them all around her place here in Lincoln county area before she died. Went over there for a 4th celebration one year,saw them and asked. She said the seeds had originally came from the old country.
Took care of all her yard work for several years after that. Never once had anyone look crossways at them. I guess a 4'8" 70 y/o woman just doesn't draw much attention.

A friend's Mom grew them all around her place here in Lincoln county area before she died. Went over there for a 4th celebration one year,saw them and asked. She said the seeds had originally came from the old country.
Took care of all her yard work for several years after that. Never once had anyone look crossways at them. I guess a 4'8" 70 y/o woman just doesn't draw much attention.

If I was a 4’8” 70yr old woman I’d probably get away with so much shit ;)

Alright guys despite the infinite wisdom of the forum I tried milking em and wiping it on a nugget, I got probably a solid 5mg worth lol. Then just cut em down and drying them.

This year was a learning lesson, I may try higher up in dryer parts of the area I am since they seem pretty drought tolerant and would prefer the less competition to native plants in lower areas.

Still got 6-8 coming and they’re allot bigger so maybe my dreams aren’t completely squashed this year.

That said yesterday was a good haul foraging wise, making up some jelly today with my finds.

-GC

If I was a 4’8” 70yr old woman I’d probably get away with so much shit ;)

Alright guys despite the infinite wisdom of the forum I tried milking em and wiping it on a nugget, I got probably a solid 5mg worth lol. Then just cut em down and drying them.

This year was a learning lesson, I may try higher up in dryer parts of the area I am since they seem pretty drought tolerant and would prefer the less competition to native plants in lower areas.

Still got 6-8 coming and they’re allot bigger so maybe my dreams aren’t completely squashed this year.

That said yesterday was a good haul foraging wise, making up some jelly today with my finds.

-GC
I think u should just throw seeds everywhere and see what pops up.by next season u might have several surprise patches