Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Poppies in Brisbane

Imlikeabird

Greenlighter
Hey all :) I love poppies but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to plant them in Brisbane, QLD. I've read accounts of wild poppies growing in the southern states - has anyone seen any poppies growing in Brisbane? Also, what are your favourite poppies to grow?

You'd have to read into the specific legislation regarding your state. As a harm reduction focused site people here cannot give you legal advice.

However, I know they do grow in the Australian climate.

You can grow certain types in brisbane but none of the the ones that produce any decent amount of opium but In saying that my grandmother grows poppies for floral features and they do look pretty good in a garden

from my research (im not a lawyer, just a simple lover of the poppy plant).

papaver somniferum is legal to cultivate.

where it starts crossing the line of legality, is when you deadhead your crop, a neighbour who has beef with you, catches you doing so on camera. reports you to the cops, they rock up to your joint and catch you butt naked, cooking down an opium extraction on the stove.

i've heard of one guy in melbourne who got arrested for extracting opium from poppy.

do with that what thou will.

also keep in mind how hopeless cops are at doing up their buttons in the morning, much less harassing flower gardeners.

get some tasmanian poppy seeds imo, they know their shit when it comes to supplying dope for the global drug trade.

Last edited:
I agree, you won't be disturbed by police until they suspect you in the drug trade (which is almost impossible if you are making stuff just for yourself). But the safest way, of course, is getting poppies growing license. You can produce some for legal distribution, and the rest is up to you. When I moved to California, I had a lil problem with the growing of smokable hemp. The local law company https://federal-lawyer.com/california/ helped me get out of this shit, but I can feel the eyes of the police on me. So make sure to not get to the police blacklist.

Last edited:
One of the more amusing stories I've found (some time ago) on the topic (below)! :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately the article is rather dated (2017) i.e. things could very well have changed by now (in reference to the statistics and prices).

"In one case in Oregon, a forest patrol officer stumbled across a plot of poppies in a remote area. Initially, he went to check them out because he thought the scarlet blooms would make a nice bouquet for his wife. On closer inspection, he realized the plants were suspicious."

And then there's this genius:

"One of our narcotics investigators came to the house looking for something else," Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid told the Hickory Daily Record. "When he knocked on the door, the guys said, 'I guess you’re here about the opium.'"

Needless to say the sensationalized figure of $500 million has been analysed and debunked in the previous article (above) as posted i.e. "Estimated yields of heroin from raw opium are between 6 percent and 10 percent. Thus, the acre of poppies found in North Carolina would yield a little more than 13 lbs. (6 kg) of raw opium and 1.3 lbs. (0.6 kg) of heroin in a full growing season in the best of circumstances." And that 100% correct calculations as per DEA reports and figures released from time to time.

Dunno about Australia. But wherever you are here's your problem(s) right here:

And the above eventually led to the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and the 1988 Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (all courtesy of the United Nations).

And then there's this outfit:

A little bit of history and some updated information and some interesting reading (check out the entire site):

And all of the above before you even get do dealing with your local drug law enforcement agency.

And to put this idea into perspective (notwithstanding the above issues):

As if that's not enough check this out:

"Red List" updated as at January 2021 (PDF document):

No need to despair though i.e. if you've got the backing (capital) and the space hydroponics is a viable, if not a preferred, option (notwithstanding the required precursors that is). I mention "preferred" for the simple reason that Mother Nature is unpredictable at best nowadays. If you think you won't lose your shit after nursing poppies for three months only to find them getting washed away or fucked for reasons beyond your control: think again. It's not like the occasional bud that may get too heavy and fall over after some hard rain or hail (I've seen one or two right here that have lost their shit because of this! :ROFLMAO: ).

Last edited: