• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Poppers - which to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel11

Greenlighter
I have tried poppers for the first time the last few weeks, not much, maybe once a week, and while it was been really good (I don't use or take anything else), I have noticed that during the minute or two of the effect from the poppers, I get a blind spot in my vision. I did some research online and there's quite a few posts and articles about the possibility of eyesight damage from the use of poppers, and so this has me nervous.

What we have is the jungle juice brand - it is fairly old though, many months if not older. Would its age have an impact on this?

My main question is - are there any other brands that I should maybe try to see if there are no side effects like this? I've never used any others so not sure which are "better" or "safer" or anything like that, so looking for some advice about that (and maybe where to order it).

Thanks!

Welcome to Bluelight :)

Unfortunately it's not a well studied subject. However it would appear that isopropyl nitrite carries the biggest risk of eye damage, according to reports. Jungle Juice is supposed to be the original amyl nitrite and thus less harmful. It's not a well-regulated market though I'm afraid.

All I can suggest is try not to use them too often to be safer, but none of this is a guarantee of long-term safety.

What does the eye damage arrise from?

I've noticed black spots on my vision, kind of like somebodies splattered blurry ink all over it, but I'd imagine this is a common-ish side effect/hallucination separate from any damage issues.

Once I had a poppers wank and I freaked out for a few seconds because it made it look like I had some kind of dying penis. Thankfully I realised it was just said blurry ink scenario.

Never had Amyl, the only inhalants I've indulged in was the occasional nitrous a a show/festival or at times in life when I was around tkkmany Deadheads (no offense ro anyone). Niteous Mafia lol, headie meddies, straight from the dentist's office!

If the short-lived blind spot is totally different from the long term damage I wouldn't mind, but it just had me nervous!

Annoying that JJ is the safest - supposedly anyway. Was hoping to try another brand. I might buy a new one at least, just to see if the other stuff has gone 'off' - if it even can?

"poppers" are alkyl nitrite esters, they act as nitric oxide releasing prodrugs that cause massive vasodilation & a transient euphoric effect. Formerly amyl nitrite was used as a medicine for e.g. angina attacks and was widely available at pharmacies in small cloth wrapped ampules that you'd smash "pop" to release the volatile contents within.

Vasodilation can lead to all sorts of crazy happenings, usually loss of conciousness/fainting or a "head rush" in higher doses. Presumably dilation of retinal blood vessels causing a temporar lack of blood to the retina would cause "vision spotting". Not sure if it's a good thing to have happen though, your retina is a pretty delicate organ.

The degradation products of said esters are usually alkyl aldehydes (stinky) but they aren't any more harmful than the nitrites they are derived from. Usually degradation happens from exposure to air, light, and/or unneccesary heat. If stored in a brown glass bottle and you don't leave the cap off it too long, you don't have to worry.

Isoamyl ntrite and/or n-amyl nitrite are the "classic" popper but legislation against its use has lead to many analogs popping up, isobutyl nitrite, isopropyl nitrite, cyclohexyl nitrite etc. The only surefire way to know what's in your shit is to have it tested by a GC (preferably GC/MS).

For more reading check out Wikipedia or also Diseased Pariah News #8, pg.10.

(Nitrite esters are not the same thing as nitrous oxide, which is N2O or "laughing gas")

Once I had a poppers wank and I freaked out for a few seconds because it made it look like I had some kind of dying penis. Thankfully I realised it was just said blurry ink scenario.

haha ah man good times, the old poppers used to be so good. I always got eye issues when using poppers all the time but didn't realise you could get any long term damage, good read.

What are these used for?

Formerly, used for angina and/or emergency treatment of cyanide overdose.

Currently, pretty exclusively recreational. Or, uhh, for "cleaning VCR heads", cough, cough, wink, nudge.

Its still a valid part of a cyanokit isn't it? to keep one alive long enough to be able to administer intravenous sodium nitrite and then sodium thiosulfate? similarly to the way the likes of atropine is used in case of nerve agent poisoning, to allow the victim to survive long enough for the oxime to take effect, and because its rapid acting just as cyanides are rapid killers. I wouldn't work with cyanides without having an alkyl nitrite ester ready, as part of the cyanokit. (obviously, I'd be wearing protective gear out the wazoo, to begin with, but I sure as hades wouldn't work without the kit there just for safety's sake)

Poppers? Pfffff. Go and play outside. Oh my fucking soul. When did bluelight get an under 18 section? Do you guys get those yellow wrist bands when you log in every time?

Poppers? Pfffff. Go and play outside. Oh my fucking soul. When did bluelight get an under 18 section? Do you guys get those yellow wrist bands when you log in every time?

With wonderful contributions like this, I find it odd that you'd be critical of anyone else.

Critical? Oh please. I don't judge, I have no bias and do not discriminate. I see through the fleshy vessels we call bodies and I see souls. Every person has a beautiful soul. For it is a speaker of truth have no friends. Just because I make fun of the beginners in the forum doesn't say anything negative. Love All, Trust a Few and do Harm to None.

Lol I do remember being relatively new to drugs, actually poppers helped me and my former fiancee cement the best relationship I've ever had, with this SUPER damn sexy young autie girl, just gorgeous she was. After she'd made herself known to me by bodyslamming me into a tree and stunning me somewhat, then sticking her tongue straight down my throat, and after she had finished enjoying herself with my body in that respect, and let me know her name, we spent some of the time on that first meeting doing poppers lol.

Anything that meant I got to spend more time that first day round the love of my life, can't be all bad=D

Critical? Oh please. I don't judge, I have no bias and do not discriminate. I see through the fleshy vessels we call bodies and I see souls. Every person has a beautiful soul. For it is a speaker of truth have no friends. Just because I make fun of the beginners in the forum doesn't say anything negative. Love All, Trust a Few and do Harm to None.

Make fum of beginners.... do harm to none.
Hmm, you may need to contemplate how much making fun can affect others.

Poppers can affect vision slightly during the effects.
For those wondering, they can significantly enhance orgasms, however can be very hit & miss, timing of positive effect for orgasm is around 1 minute from commencement of peak.
Also many report headaches and other unpleasant effects, stopping further use.

Amyl nitrite is the original chemical used in poppers, however as others mentioned above, only similiar unresearched alternatives are available now. This is how it has been for quite a number of years now though.

I have used poppers very infrequently, but certainly many times, over last 15 years. Vision is always affected, takes 5 to ten min for it to restore.
I have used with many, many other drugs, stims, psychedelics, cannabinoids, entactogens and with poly drug use.

Jungle juice as a brand is supposed to be good, but isnt available in my country. I have always purchased the most expensive brand when buying.
A bottle does degrade but will last 2 to 4 years before needing replacement.

Rather than opening lid and inhaling, (which requires replacing lid, usually whilst high) another method can be to dip a mm or 2 at most of a cigarette.
Easier to place down, "during" and very effective for administering.

Many dont really like poppers, but with experience and planning, it can make a masturbation session very intense and pleasurable.

Last edited:
By the way, once a week use, is very frequent over the long term.
If you want to minimize side effects, i would try to lower usage.

Mine is probably, on average 7 or 8 times a year. This might include 2 or three in a week, but averaged.

Also cant help further about brands but triple filtered *used to be the thing to aim for, now is likely, trust with vendor, or proper lab testing

Kindly excuse all grammar and spelling mistakes as I am too fucking lazy to type and I'm using an audio text-to-speech app so whether it be shit for beginners or something that some take maybe 8 times a year poppers will always be poppers and so was Lee is akin to chalkboard crayons and glue sticks with little Lego bits stuck in between it's like if eucalyptus oil and Vicks vapour rub had an unplanned bastard love child and some how people started buying this shit instead of wood laminate glue fuck this I'm out

BTW it isn't amyl nitrate, its amyl nitrITE. Or other nitrITE esters, alkyl nitrate esters are explosives. Nitroglycerin being a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.