Bugs PM convos being deleted, closed, or cannot start one

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I had a convo with someone over PM that was completely deleted after a day or two. Cannot even access it or see it.

This person responded to me asking where it went and IMMEDIATELY that new PM thread they started was "closed, not open to new responses".

I was able to start a new PM thread to message them.

Also I do not have the option to start a PM with a different member. (every other member I can PM)

We didn't break any rules, was a very average convo, which is why I'm confused.

What's going on? :/

Last edited:
I had a convo with someone over PM that was completely deleted after a day or two. Cannot even access it or see it.

This person responded to me asking where it went and IMMEDIATELY that new PM thread they started was "closed, not open to new responses".

I was able to start a new PM thread to message them.

Also I do not have the option to start a PM with a different member. (every other member I can PM)

What's going on? :/
Matter of interest:

Are you using a mobile phone for all of this shit or a notebook or PC?

Only reason I ask is that I've seen this some up before lately (conversations disappearing) but that's never happened to me but I don't use a mobile phone.

Maybe a dumb question and nothing to do with me but maybe a clue? Dunno.

I've my own little issues with the functioning of the PM system (but have never had anything disappear unless I made it disappear if that makes sense).

As far as not being able to start a PM with a different member (I'm probably stating the obvious here as I would assume that with your experience an notoriety around these parts you'd already know this):

You sure that member has not changed their settings to not allow PM's to be sent to them i.e. they no longer want to receive PM's from anybody?

Which brings me to a point:

@Coffeeshroom and for fuck sake: I want to send you a PM but since our last little chat you've turned that option off! :ROFLMAO: For sure I know it's not because of an issue between you and I so I can only assume some fuck pissed you off! :ROFLMAO: Anyway. Send me a PM, thus starting a conversation, and I can then wish you a Happy Christmas! :)

Anyway @SnafuInTheVoid - I'll send you a PM now, see if you get it, then reply, then at least you know it's working. Doesn't solve the problem to which you are referring to re: a Conversation disappearing. Are you 100% sure you didn't leave the Conversation by accident? Don't laugh and don't think I'm questioning your abilities. It happens (to the best of us and PARTICULARLY to those that may be sending PM's while they having a good time) (if you know what I mean)! :ROFLMAO:

Are you using a mobile phone for all of this shit or a notebook or PC?
PC. Use mobile all the time, too, but PC right now.

As far as not being able to start a PM with a different member (I'm probably stating the obvious here as I would assume that with your experience an notoriety around these parts you'd already know this):

You sure that member has not changed their settings to not allow PM's to be sent to them i.e. they no longer want to receive PM's from anybody?

could be, idk

I was trying to message @schizopath

I messaged him thru a previous PM convo we had, hope he got it

anyways I'm more concerned about my other convo that got deleted (it's GONE, doesn't exist anymore) and when they messaged me back it was instantly locked and could not respond. Had to start a 3rd thread, where I messaged them.... working for now... Weird.

JKv6eNq.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. Original convo just VANISHED and was deleted. They messaged me this which was then immediately closed and locked........ before I even read it??

We can seemingly talk normally now (in a 3rd PM convo)....

what's going on, though?

PC. Use mobile all the time, too, but PC right now.

could be, idk

I was trying to message @schizopath

I messaged him thru a previous PM convo we had, hope he got it

anyways I'm more concerned about my other convo that got deleted (it's GONE, doesn't exist anymore) and when they messaged me back it was instantly locked and could not respond. Had to start a 3rd thread, where I messaged them.... working for now... Weird.
Alright well: @schizopath has turned off the option to receive PM's (just click on his username in this line and you'll NOT see the "Start Conversation" option button (unless he's blocked me but I cannot figure any reason for him having done that given that we've never had any interactions at all as far as I know).

Good point actually: if another user has blocked you then what happens insofar as sending them a PM is concerned?

As for replying to old conversations: be very careful. That's what my thread is about (link below). Just because YOU can see a SUPPOSEDLY open and current conversation YOUR side doesn't mean that the other user is still a part of the conversation and has not already left the conversation and elected to not receive any further replies. And in just putting two and two together: if @schizopath left and old conversation between the two of you and THEN turned off the option to NOT receive PM's anymore well that could explain something too i.e. your old conversation is no longer valid and whatever you sent him he will not get.

And just thinking out of the box: it's possible that the OTHER dude sent you a PM and immediately after sending locked the conversation (you'll notice it's an option right at the bottom of the PM page).

Link to my thread on this to follow (gimme a second)...

Last edited:
Here's the link as promised above:

Tell you what I am going to do. Just for the sake of it. I'm going to start a NEW conversation with you, send you a message, and immediately select the option to NOT allow any further messages. See what it says your side. Then let me know on the OTHER, still open, conversation. At least we can get that out of the way for ya! :ROFLMAO:

Well OTHER than the fact that an entire conversation was deleted then reappeared with a message and was locked (so that you could no longer respond) I know not.

Just discovered something:

Once there is an open conversation with existing messages: only way to lock the conversation from that point is to go "Edit" the conversation i.e. there you will see the "Lock conversation (no responses will be allowed)" option. So it can be done there (after the fact) or when sending the very first message of a conversation i.e. upon creating the conversation the "Lock conversation (no responses will be allowed)" is shown at the bottom of the first message.

Anyway and in summary (once again) (to all) some points:

Do not just assume that you can reply to a dated previous conversation and that the other member will receive your new message. You have no way of knowing that a) they've left the conversation already and may have elected to NOT receive future messages on that same conversation or b) (and as we've just discovered) they may have left the conversation and AFTER that turned off the option to receive PM's in their profile settings. So unless you're sure it's a current and ongoing conversation: rather start a new one. And if the member has changed their settings to NOT receive private messages well then you're fucked (but that's easy enough to check i.e. click on their username and you'll see if the "Start conversation" option is available or not (and if not you're fucked again).

While this may make me unpopular: it'd be nice if members actually go through their list of conversations now and then and "Leave" old conversations (maybe just send a message to the other participants that's what you're doing before leaving). Unless there's information that you're wanting to retain access to: what's the point of holding onto hundreds of old conversations? Also bear in mind that a conversation is only completely deleted (as I understand it) once ALL parties have left the conversation (still doesn't make too much sense to me but apparently that's how it works).

And if somebody does send you a PM and you don't want to answer or want nothing to do with them: then just send them a "message acknowledged but fuck off" PM and then leave the conversation and elect to not receive any future messages (or better yet first lock the conversation and then leave to be sure). Where I come from it's called "common courtesy" (but then again in my world it's still the '80's so I guess that's all down the toilet).

Not much more to contribute I'm afraid.

Just need the email address for the accounts department in order to forward my support invoice for processing and payment... 💲

Here's the link as promised above:

Tell you what I am going to do. Just for the sake of it. I'm going to start a NEW conversation with you, send you a message, and immediately select the option to NOT allow any further messages. See what it says your side. Then let me know on the OTHER, still open, conversation. At least we can get that out of the way for ya! :ROFLMAO:

We upgraded recently and have found a few things didn't upgrade nicely. The PM situation ya'll are exploring is a new one on me. If anyone wants to add me to the PM string I might see something, otherwise I have to guess it is a glitch of someone leaving (or the system deciding they left) or somesuch. Testing it out and exploring is pretty much what I'd do in your shoes (from my spot, I got no clue right now), so any insights ya'll share is appreciated as well.