• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Pill happy doctors

kingkpin

Bluelighter
So the other day I went to my doctor to tell them about anxiety issues I've been having due to recent events. I'm currently on Adderall for "ADHD". I go in and explain my situation, the doctor seems concerned and immediately recommends a benzo to go with the stimulant medication. I go out of my way to say "I don't want anything too strong, just something that will calm me throughout the day" she then replies that I could try .25 xanax for a while. I told her my mom's addicted and I think xanax is an awful drug and requested something much weaker again. She read off some SSRI's and I told her my friend is on klonopin and he said it was less harsh than xanax was, finally she just said "yeah we're gonna try xanax". So I agreed and she gave me a script for 45 0.25mg xanax and 30 15mg Adderall in the same day though I clearly didn't NEED IT. Doctors really don't care about your health as much as you thought, at least mine anyways. I flat out told her I don't have ADHD and she still gave me the script.

Anyways on another note, how long before benzos start to build up in you, like when would I have withdrawls if I started taking daily. Only problem is I've been majorly depressed so I've been closer to the 1-1.50 mg range for the past couple days.

It'll be different for everybody, but 2 weeks straight is the common point that you'll end up in mild withdrawal. Ive abused the hell out of my GABA receptors and two-three days will throw me into a week or two of rebound anxiety and insomnia.

I would reccomend not taking benzos, especially Xanax, everyday. Save them for when you really need them. Look into natural ways of dealing with anxiety such as meditation. Also a healthy diet can do wonders for your brain. I know that sounds like stereotypical advice, but it really works.

When I'm determined enough to keep on a healthy lifestyle Ive noticed I feel a lot less anxious in general. Ive been slacking lately though so I should probably take my own advice. Lol.

Oh yeah, and doctors are assholes. They don't give a fuck, and she probably gets a commission from the xanax supplier which is why she pushed it on you. Same with antidepressants. My doctor trys to throw a new SSRI at me every time I see him.

Uhh so who is this doctor OP? ;) lol I'm kidding but this is interesting because I have never got benzos from my doctor only stupid ssri and if he were to give me a benzos it wouldn't be something as good as xanax

try going to my VA they don't RX benzos for ANY reason anymore, I am extremely lucky and it might only be short term.

I don't think doctors that write multiple scheduled scripts are necessarily pill happy. I mean, by definition wouldn't pill happy be better defined as prescribing drugs that are warranted. In this case you brought up anxiety, so they probably felt compelled to try to treat it in some way. In this case, maybe your doctor assumed your anxiety was transient and is only planning on treating it short term. A benzodiazepine certainly could be indicated in this case.

It's kind of good to get inside a physicians mindset. They've been trained, so if they've made a diagnosis chances are they will stick too it almost regardless of what you say. Even though you may say you don't have ADHD, they are going to consider themselves more competent at diagnosing it than you are. As such you saying you don't have it probably won't phase them at all.

More power to you if you don't want to take benzos though. That takes a lot of willpower, for some people at least :). If it was for the short term, I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Still, if you don't need it better to go without of course.

I'd definitely be careful with the xanax if you are depressed. For some people it can be really flare it up. I know it feels like you are less depressed while you are on them for a while but over time it can make it worse esp. at higher doses but you have to take a lot to really feel anything. I did the benzo and adderall thing for a long time and I really don't recommend it. I wouldn't mind an addie rx to take every once in a while but benzos and the associated withdrawal are a living nightmare. I use something called tenex now and it is actually used for ADD too but it calms you down and is good for anxiety. It's not super heavy duty but it doesn't cause a dependency. Benzos can really jack with your anxiety long term if you are on them for a while.

Just a heads up. :)

While I personally believe that yes, a lot of doctors are handing out benzos like candy, I don't think your doc was being negligent in this case. .25 miligrams of Alprazolam is a tiny dose, and you being worried about addiction concerns probably served to further convince her that you were aware of the risk of exceeding your prescribed dose, and would thus be able to handle it responsibly.
However, you being so extremely worried about the addictive properties of Xanax (which isn't really all that more addictive than Klonopin) might actually have turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy, convincing you that Alprazolam was so addictive that abuse and dose escalation would be inevitable.

Really, when I think about "pill-happy doctors" (particularly the American kind) I think about the people prescribing in excess of 2 miligrams of Xanax or Klonopin a day.

Reallly, I know benzo's are physically addicve but they SHOULDN"t be controlled as much as opiates,iMO. Many people do suffer from anxiety myself and a script of 30 0.5mg xanax isn't gonna kill them. God I would punh a dotor if it was under 1mg really. I'm begining to have a bit of a habbit myself, I should have talked to my doctor about my benzos instead of just buying them off the street all the time, which led me to 'lemme take a few more I'm not gonna run out, can go get more" I really think it would have helped me in my case if my doc would have started me on like 2mg of klonopin a day when I was trying to get away from the people selling everything, but instead I was still/still am right in the middle of the people/drugs so I can get some damn klonopin or xanax so I can feel like I can talk to peolple, sigh. Anyway.... a doctor writing 0.25 of xanax doesnt' sound pill happy, sounds like he was trying to HELP YOU, thats the lowest dose made! You'd have to eat the bottle pretty much(well half) to get all xanned out. Have fun goin thru all the ssrri's.

And if you don't want the adderall just put them back, don't take them, and if you ever need them, there they are.