• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

lol that pug is priceless! i'm not sure i've ever seen a dog look more dignified haha. last few posts are great too, nice variety of stuff.

Great photos hydro. I?m stuck in Florida which, this time of year, is a lot better than NY. I have a few pictures but i?m Not sure how to post from iPhone. I can?t get one of these pelicans to land, they seem to fly forever.

hotel%2Bscrubbed%2Bfinal.jpg

In love with this, just amazing.

thanks yo.

ruined so many cameras duck hunting ...

jeff%2Bfinal.jpg

kodak tmax3200. the camera is a canon sure shot zoom-s. after dunking my real camera i went to goodwill and got it for $5 (had to construct the battery with modern batteries, tinfoil, and cut plastic to get the correct voltage). cool enough of a camera -- usually i hate zoom but it's like 30mm - 60mm which is the good focal lengths anyway and not so wide in gamut i get lost at what focal length being used -- that i shelled out $15 for one off ebay after i dunked this one toward the end of the day. it will meter up to 3200iso, and low max iso settings are a common drawback to p&s cameras.

this guy ...

NSFW:
image1.jpeg

saw that you were looking into picking up another compact, bandit. hope you follow through. you've got style. you seen that new ricoh gr iii? 28mm is a challenging focal length to be fixed at, but that length creates great photos and there are not many aps-c cameras you can palm.

Last edited:
bandit, did you get a camera? if so, which?

soon.jpg

soon.

i gave too much stuff to my parents for storage when i moved from a house to an apartment -- including my 4x5 jobo tank -- but i wanna mimic sally mann's bathroom self portrait. also, i learn how to use a drum scanner on tuesday.

learned how to use a drum scanner. used the scanmate 11000. the "11000" stands for maxiumum optical dpi! that's absurd. i know a lot of consumer scanners boast silly high dpi, but they mean constructed or enhanced dpi (the scanner software going through and replicating pixels instead of truly pulling those pixels from the image). for comparison, the consumer standard scanner is the epson v600 at has an optical dpi of 6400. not that dpi is all or even the most important factor in a scanner. epson v series are out of focus and collect poor color information. not putting anyone's efforts down who is using a consumer grade scanner. that's what i did for over a year when i started, and i learned to make it work. quality user output creates worthwhile results, not pro equipment -- cliche and true.

it's difficult to use. i took a lesson and then two day laters used it by myself to lock as much of it in my head as possible. will still be something i get better at with time. wet mounting a drum is not something you are naturally good at. takes a bit of practice. in addition to getting straight and clean frames, you're about to put that drum in a $10k scanner so it's important your seal is perfect.

once i run my curves, levels, and cleaning mask in photoshop, my files are about 6gb for 120 film. you can't even save that as a tiff, which maxes at out 4gb. so you have to use photoshop's proprietary "large document" format, which is pretty much a tiff. still lossless, still allows layers. my new macbook pro was a holiday sale at b&h and came with about every upgrade available, but editing a 6gb file still has it stopping to think.

edit:
on that note, i can now start shooting medium format again. no film curl on a drum mount! shot a roll and a half of it today. depending on which medium format camera, it can also be disarming for street.

Last edited:
Hydro, you like to do this for fun or for professional purposes? 6GB stop working already? geez I remember when I used my ASUS to edit in 71ms formats with few rails on sides and it was bout 10GB haha. Depends on the HDD, buy a external one as I did if you are travelling and a SSD for use, you won't have any kind of issues.

though now to my pic.. vry busy day bout 2days of work already and isn't ready

rxeqwAu.jpg

27657947_201508057260370_839351320225851783_n.jpg

Squat, Crack house in Birmingham City UK.
The graffiti says "Antifa" btw, the building this was taken in on the 20th floor I wish I had taken photos of the blood & upside down crosses on the wall (no joke)

29244072_216885302389312_7864077742531920318_n.jpg

TL,DR, sry. Shadys fox on down are great. I'm trying new setup. Cant upload yet, but great pictures.

nice to see you posting some shots, Bandit.

i feel like giving up on film. drum scanning is too expensive and time consuming. i don't like being at the lab. it's not even like the people there are fun. as i wait one hour per frame to scan and pay an absolutely insane amount of money for that rental time. they're the people who think they're going to be an artists for a living. they're not photographers. they do stuff like cut up their photos, throw the pieces on a flatbed scanner, run it, and call the result class commentary. which ok, people are different. my work is flawed too. but paying a fifty dollars to be in a room with them for eight straight hours and getting one roll scanned in result? fuck. i don't even like one photo per roll. so i can do all that and not have one usable photo.

i am going over some non-diy lab scans. the film curl is unbearable and they had a few specs of dust on their scanner lens. unbelievably sloppy. there's no practical way to get scans. all the consumer scanners are garbage and the professional realm is too minuscule for an amateur to access.

i've stopped shooting in result. i don't know what to do. i know buying x or y is not the answer. if i buy a digital camera, i'm not gonna be happy with the results. if i buy yet another consumer film scanner, i'm not gonna be happy with the results.

i should stop whining and shoot.

to not have a photo-less post ...

for%2Bbluelight.jpg

portra 800 overexposed one stop (intentionally, machine developed without pull) through an olympus xa. scanned on a fuji frontier.

Last edited:
Really vibrant colors, I like it. :) One problem I have with my Nikon 3200D is I feel like the colors are never as vibrant as they are in real life. Ironically, my iPhone camera gets the best color of any camera I've ever used. I used to have a basic film camera but just a point and shoot tiny little thing, many years ago. Never really got into film.

thanks. starting with beautiful film stocks helps, but color correction is my speciality. someone recently told me that "color correction" is the wrong term for what i'm talking about, but i forget what they said the correct term is. anyway, i spend stupid amounts of time in photoshop playing with color.

googled and i'm surprised how compact the 3200 is for a dslr. only dslr i've ever used is a d50, and that thing is huge.

Yeah it's quite small considering what it is. I need to pull that guy out and use it, it's been a while. Been wanting to get some other lenses too, I just have the one it came with.

^what lens came with it? what lens do you want? shoot prime.

arrives wednesday. i know it won’t be on the level of a fuji frontier sp3000, but it gets rave reviews on photo forums and will fit in my apartment. praying it alleviates some of my scanning woes.

hasselblad discontinued their flextight x5, which was supposed to be the best still manufactured scanner. they were $25k usd, so i’m not sure it’s a practical loss.

otherwise, this XAs is supposed to be the best 35mm scanner still in production.

Last edited: