• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

Just found this thread & I will be so bold as to post something of my work, I got a feeling though it will be blazed down.
Before anyone says anything yeah I am a massive fan of Provoke magazine, the whole Record series, Daido Moyiyama, Takuma Nakahira, William Klein, Robert Frank BUT try to give it my own twist.

26804639_192198004858042_5528245474292107977_n.jpg

thanks for sharing, Xorkoth. particularly like the shots from your camp site at night. have an SE as well. when i first got it a spent a good chunk of the day recording window-light dust in 4k.

no formal training or experience beyond a high school photography class, keeping. wasn't long ago i couldn't figure out why people put so much emphasis on the 1:x number after a lens's focal length.

one of the other photos i was considering for the urban decay theme ...

taken with a bronica sq-ai and 80mm lens. on kodak portra 400. is a crazy looking camera that uses medium format film. will follow up with a photo of the camera.

You taken the work of William Eggleston into mind when taking this?

I like it a lot may I add.

One more, I gotta go go ut in a minute. I actually called this one "Otaku" & usually I never give my photos a name.

Edit - It was done some time back before I got my Bridge, it was taken on a small Samsung compact & was just as I was getting into that "Japanese style" so it is a bit dated but I still like it myself.

27657947_201508057260370_839351320225851783_n.jpg

Uncommonly good photos, thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks a lot, I was touched by your comment. I know my "style" isn't to every single persons taste but I love the quote from William Klein "I didn’t relate to European photography. It was too poetic and anecdodtal for me.... The kinetic quality of New York, the kids, dirt, madness--I tried to find a photographic style that would come close to it.So I would be grainy and contrasted and black. I’d crop, blur, play with the negatives. I didn’t see clean technique being right for New York. I could imagine my pictures lying in the gutter like the New York Daily News."

I am a HUGE fan of the 1950/1960's Japanese style that came from PRVOKE magazine & also the work of Robert Frank & William Klein. My project at the moment is trying to work with folks in squats like an English Roger Ballen-esque vibe but sadly we have nothing to equal South Africia around here.

I am also trying to let one of my dealers give me permission to shoot some stuff as the work by Boogie in his Gangs book blew my mind when I first saw it & I know if I am allowed to follow him for a few days I could do something equal.

I have a Facebook page that is open to the public if you want me to PM it across to you Xorkoth?
(That username has quite a HP Lovecraft vibe to it imo)

@ Xorkoth

Documentary on my ultimate hero Daido Moriyama, it is in Japanese but it has English subtitles & they are very well done, not that Youtube stuff that misses out half the stuff & what it does pick up goes something like "I have camera. Dog in ripped hat, I shoot film. Walking on pudding, shoot bears. Photography aliens, paid bills not"

MORIYAMA DAIDO 「NEAR EQUAL」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaeEx0Uvef8

thanks, JahSEEuS.

nice photos and very defined style, Zopiclone bandit. i googled eggleston and like his stuff. there are legions of photographers on instagram going for that look.

I'm going to put my Cannon A-1 back together. More to come.
the canon ae-1 is the slr i see people shooting most frequently. a-1 has even more features. i shoot nikon and put zero thought into that direction. sometimes i wonder if the grass is greener. looking forward to seeing your shots.

i've been making some cash by buying polaroid and 35mm cameras on craigslist and then selling them on ebay. is fun learning about and playing with them as they pass through my possession. this thing got thrown in when buying a bag of polaroid cameras ...

tumblr_p4ycqakYwF1u9yecko1_1280.jpg

it's fixed focus, aperture, and shutter speed. the film was still sealed. it's probably a few decades old, but i'm gonna shoot it and see what results.

Damn Zopiclone bandit, those are beautiful. Especially the first one.

Damn Zopiclone bandit, those are beautiful. Especially the first one.

Thanks a lot, I am never sure if I got something I should stick with or jack it in tbh & I always question myself.

The first one you said about was taken in London on Southbank, it's The London Eye taken from a strange angle. Thanks again for the kind words, I question myself a lot of the time & think "Should I just sell the camera & go back to the heroin as I have no skill in this" but when I read stuff like that it gives me a small boost that maybe I am onto something you know.