• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

6PaeYDW.jpg

Thanx for sharing. The first one is nicely exposed! 🧐 Was this your 'detox hut'? Flowers look like some type of orchid, are they? Done with your new gear?

I have a strange pull towards b&w photography at the moment, although I thought about posting the/my first panorama of the year somewhere. Am planing to pick this up a little bit more (but don't want to do less of other stuff (e.g. macro etc.) either. :unsure: Best to ramp it up all together as long as I have the chance. Having a camera dangling from ones neck or a heavy-ass tripod strapped to back, being dirty and shit from wallowing on the ground for the right picture is time well spend, I think. (Same with sports, or just shutting up and being here (meditation).)

Thanks! No, that photo is from my house. Just a simple iPhone picture. The second one is indeed an orchid, my girlfriend has about 30 orchids and this one is gloriously in bloom.

Orchids are delicious. They're in the asparagus family, after all.

I'm kidding, of course, but orchids are easily one of my favorite plants.

Yeah mine too, we have a bunch of different kinds. They're so cool, they've got a great presence. Each plant has a personality. They can live a very long time. And some of them smell amazing. Brassavolas in particular, oh my god. They only smell at night, but the scent fills the house and it's so sweet and musky and intoxicating, probably the best flower smell, or at least tied for the best.

Thanks! No, that photo is from my house. Just a simple iPhone picture. The second one is indeed an orchid, my girlfriend has about 30 orchids and this one is gloriously in bloom.
😲 So you basically live in the woods? That's so cool, I would love that!! I'm close to nature, but I still need to go outside to be in the forest. Sometimes I really long for .. less people and more space/nature.

Ad picture: It's amazing what modern smartphones can do and what tricks they perform behind the curtain. Kind of ironic that advanced camera systems often lead to doing things manually again, and with these countless options/parameters available, there is the or more chance of scrweing up too of course. 🤭 That's why I sometimes think along these lines. But that's a small price for the freedome and possiblities you get in return; at least I think so.

Yeah I live on a mountainside in the forest, right on the outskirts of a national forest. :) I will never live inside a city again, city life is shit compared to being in nature, it makes me feel insane and anxious. I live right outside of city limits... my city is a small city, but growing fast, a mountain city known for its liberal culture and music scene. It's 10-15 minutes to downtown but also 4 minutes to the blue ridge parkway and infinite hiking opportunities.

Here are some more from my area, within a short drive from my house:

pgYWu5g.jpg

mimecja.jpg

t6eeCTq.jpg

SloS9dc.jpg

And a beautiful moth, we have so many great moths:

CqvAWLe.jpg

Nice vistas indeed. The coloration of the first one gives it a little bit of a vintage/film vibe; I like. =D

Yeah I used the "vivid warm" filter on my iPhone for that one. :)

I've taken a few photos with my new macro lens... need to do some more of that, and also figure out how to get the photos onto my computer! My old computer had software installed to transfer and interface with the camera, but I lost the CD. I guess I can probably download it though.

I've taken a few photos with my new macro lens... need to do some more of that, and also figure out how to get the photos onto my computer! My old computer had software installed to transfer and interface with the camera, but I lost the CD. I guess I can probably download it though.
Mhm, this sort of stuff can always be downloaded for free. Funny, I never bothered using these with my "real" cameras; given how much time I spend humping around with these files, it just seemed silly to not simply copy them per hand. At the same time, I do use and accumulated a ton of me-made scripts over time to automate and streamline things as much as possible. 🤪 Get really cranky when I don't have those at hand, but I generally aim at having as little software as possible to look after.

But I do/still use a sync tool for my old Canon compact camera (hardly ever take a photo with my phone), which got degraded to handle documentary jobs, poor little thing. 💔

I am now jealous and wish I lived in the country! I gotta figure a way to do it. I guess these are the 3 steps to country livin!!!
Step 1. You need a good car. With the car, you can live far out, where I'm guessing rent is much cheaper than inner-city.
Step 2. Get tough dog and a couple guns and crossbows.
Step 3. Set up guitars and drums for jamming.

I live just outside of city limits, in a small but rapidly growing mountain city. I could theoretically ride my bike around but so many hills, I just drive. Even living in downtown here though, it's a 15 minute drive to the kinds of places I photographed above. For me it's a 3 minute drive or 15 minute bike ride to the nearest trailhead.

But yeah if you don't live in a big city, it's pretty difficult to not have a car. People do it where I live though, for sure.

As for the instruments, yes indeed. :)

Not really photography, used my phone and was a bit 'all over the place' at the time I took it but I saw a stray cat at the a&e department that I thought was an interesting image