• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Phenibut may "interfere" with meth drug tests

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

This article claims "The benzene ring of phenibut may interfere with methamphetamine testing on urine drug screen, so an unreportable methamphetamine screen might hint at the diagnosis."

I cannot find any case studies or reports to support this claim.

What exactly are they saying? That it causes false positives or that it masks methamphetamine metabolites?

Does anyone understand what they are talking about?

Last edited:
This does not sound legit.

I know that my doctor was explaining how someone's drug test kept coming up with crazy stuff and he couldn't figure out why--like fentynal when she had no pain medications and etc. It turns out the tests were skewered from making out with her partner lol. Drug tests aren't perfect as we know.

I know that my doctor was explaining how someone's drug test kept coming up with crazy stuff and he couldn't figure out why--like fentynal when she had no pain medications and etc. It turns out the tests were skewered from making out with her partner lol. Drug tests aren't perfect as we know.
Yeah many medical tests have flaws. My sister was once diagnosed as HIV+ at age 19, but it ended up just being a false positive. That was a fucking nightmare for our family... (before they had treatments for it). It took the doctors several months to "verify" the tests and come back with a false positive.

I guess there might be something about their claim it in the references on that page, I'm too lazy right now to search though all of that though.

That site does seem reputable though. It's a medical blog run by doctors.

Last edited:
Yeah many medical tests have flaws. My sister was once diagnosed as HIV+ at age 19, but it ended up just being a false positive. That was a fucking nightmare for our family... (before they had treatments for it). It took the doctors several months to "verify" the tests and come back with a false positive.

I guess there might be something about their claim it in the references on that page, I'm too lazy right now to search though all of that though.

That site does seem reputable though. It's a medical blog run by doctors.

Wow iirc false negatives are a lot more common than false positives? Either way, sorry she had to go through that! As a gay male it's been my worst phobia. I have plenty of negative undetectable friends but it's not something I'd want for myself lol.

I just can't see how something related to gabapentinoids could skewer the testing of methamphetamine in the body. Perhaps one or more people on both substances ended up luckily getting a false negative for methamphetamine? That would be a great day for a tweaker applying for jobs.

*Upon seeing the thread--everyone on methamphetamine in a state of psychosis orders phenibut to skewer drug testing* ;)

Wow iirc false negatives are a lot more common than false positives? Either way, sorry she had to go through that! As a gay male it's been my worst phobia. I have plenty of negative undetectable friends but it's not something I'd want for myself lol.
Yeah man it was fucking horrible. Back then HIV was a death sentence. Later in her life she also had false positives for 2 other diseases! Lyme disease (I think) and something else (I forgot the other). She also was told she probably has thyroid cancer at age 33 (turned out to be malignant, had the tumor removed and has a badass scar on her neck). I feel so bad for her.
I just can't see how something related to gabapentinoids could skewer the testing of methamphetamine in the body. Perhaps one or more people on both substances ended up luckily getting a false negative for methamphetamine? That would be a great day for a tweaker applying for jobs.

*Upon seeing the thread--everyone on methamphetamine in a state of psychosis orders phenibut to skewer drug testing* ;)
I did some digging and found this:

A screening method for the detection of methamphetamine in urine is described. Urine is extracted with hexane & aqueous ammonia, copper sulfate & hydrogen sulfide are added to the aq layer to form a copper-methamphetamine complex insol in water. The complex is extracted with benzene. In the presence of methamphetamine in urine the benzene layer is colored yellow. IR spectrum is used to differentiate methamphetamine from other aliphatic secondary amines.

So the benzene ring on the phenibut molecule really might screw up the test

That benzene ring is found in the structure of amphetamines as well.

-GC