Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Phenibut info

psytaco

Bluelighter
I have been given some phenibut by a friend who claims that it has great nootropic effects and reduces anxiety and helps sleep.

I just wanted a bit more info on it, as I know literally nothing about it at the moment. He seems to think that a good dose is 2/3 of a teaspoon. is this a good dose? the last thing I want to do is overdose on it. the wikipedia entry on it says doseages vary from 400mg to 1200mg. But to be honest, wikipedia is pretty light on info.

So far I know that it works on GABA. Which leads to me to think that it may potentially be addictive as benzos are. I have had problems in the past with benzo addiction, so will steer clear of it if this is the case. Is Phenibut addictive?

Also, who has used it? How functional is it? Does it generally improve cognitive functioning and the like?

My friend also seems to think it is completely legal in Australia. Is this the case?

Any other info would be much appreciated.

According to the Erowid vault,

Phenibut is sold as a nutritional supplement within the United States, and in Russia it is prescribed for its anxiolytic and sedative effects. Phenibut is used to help stabilize mood and as a sleep aid. It has a long half-life.

Doses vary from less than 500 mg to 4 grams. Sometimes additional redosing is conducted.

Side effects can include headache. At higher doses, blurred vision or nystagmus, lack of coordination, depressed respiration, nausea, memory loss ("blacking out"), and hangover have been reported. Tolerance develops rapidly. Rebound anxiety can develop after 2-3 days of use.

Withdrawal symptoms after abrupt discontinuation of phenibut use are commonly reported, often characterized by restless anxiety, reduced sleep quality, and free-floating anxiety.

[ Main Phenibut Vault ]

It is not regulated in Australia as far as I know.

So far I know that it works on GABA. Which leads to me to think that it may potentially be addictive as benzos are. I have had problems in the past with benzo addiction, so will steer clear of it if this is the case. Is Phenibut addictive?

Yes, very. Aaaaaand the withdrawal profile is very similar to benzos. Not really worth it, I mean its fucking awesome for anxiety and potentiation but the eventual side effects are quite likely to catch up with you. Also, if you do get some, it lasts a long time. Daily dosing is unnecessary if you have no tolerance.

It's not techniquely legal but I highly doubt any one has ever had any trouble with the AFP from it. It's a grey-area nootropic.

Oh yeah and it's extremely functional, more so than any other GABA drug I have sampled.

Yeah the more I read about it the more hesitant I am. I just got over a period of benzo withdrawal so I am going to wait a little while before I take this. The last thing I want is to kick the withdrawal in again (as some of you know benzo withdrawal is fucking horrid).

I dont find that I suffer much anxiety from benzo withdrawal itself (as in no more than normal), Phenibuts withdrawal anxiety reminds me about everything I have heard on GHB/GBL withdrawal.

Wise decision, the benefits of using Phenibut properly are definitely there but I wouldn't consider it worth the risk with previous GABA dependencies or an addictive personality AKA Bluelighter.

Found it invaluable for giving up G habit...would calm me down when things got a too "shaky" for my liking... that said,only would take it when I really got uncomfortable...

I have used it for an inexpensive benzo taper too, wasn't the best for it but it did the job.

have tried about 2g over the course of 4 hours. can't say it is really doing much but it has lessened the anxiety i was feeling earlier today

A close friend(now unfortunately deceased) gave me some phenibut a few years ago and I remember it being great for anxiety. I have been thinkking of ordering some myself because I had a massive anxiety attack at work today and it was one of the most uncomfortable things ive ever been through and no doctor around here would prescribe me benzo's even though ive suffered from chronic anxiety, panic and OCD since I was about 12. All they ever do is dish out seroquel which I might add can cause sudden death especially in patients also on methadone(I was on both for around 2 years!). If your on Seroquel make sure you read into all the possible side effects because I dont think many doctors realize how harmful it can be.

But onto the topic of Phenibut I know it can cause some terrible withdrawals but I remember reading they dont last anywhere near as long as benzo withdrawals. As an availablle substance it shouldnt be too hard to do a taper though, you just need to be responsible.

But onto the topic of Phenibut I know it can cause some terrible withdrawals but I remember reading they dont last anywhere near as long as benzo withdrawals. As an availablle substance it shouldnt be too hard to do a taper though, you just need to be responsible.

Yeah that is something that I have to be really careful about. As of three weeks ago I went through benzo withdrawal, so I might still be in the danger zone of becoming quickly dependent again. Had alot to drink on friday night, had 1mg xanax yesterday and today the phenibut, so I need to lay off the GABA drugs for a week or so.

I can't say the 2grams has really done much in terms of recreational value but it certainly has made me feel alot happier and has pretty much elminated the anxiousness I was feeling today.

God damn it, why are you taking such big doses?
Phenibut can cause fatty liver in dosage over 7g. And it may be (and possibly is) hepatotoxic in dosage over 1g.
Phenibut does not have GABA-a activity in therapeutic dose, and therapeutic dose is 250-500 mg. Recommended maximum single dose is 750 mg.
The best anti-anxiety regimen is 250 mg 3 times a day for 2, maximum 3 weeks. With this regimen you don't need to taper it off and it does not cause much GABA downregulation.
I think phenibut is the best anti-anxiety drug. Ever. But you need to treat it with respect. Like all the psychoactives, I think. :)

OMG stay away from Phenibut, i ordered some online due to reading it on forums being an alternative to benzodiazepines without physical withdrawals or negative side effects.

They come in these form of capsules with white powder inside, they were opened and inspected by customs and let through, i've read online it was illegal, in the USA

It's a supplement, love the USA and the people there such a wonderful country, where concrete jungles are made of lolz and in Russia you can buy them over the counter.

Im an individual suffering from ADHD, been trying my best to stay on low doses at 2x 5mgs in the morning then in about late afternoon 2x 5mgs.

I've found through the years of using dexamphetamine for my ADHD the effectiveness of this drug is diminishing and i sometimes do need to take extra in

order for me to focus and help my mother. Well i was hospitalisted over the weekend due to taking 4 phenibut along with my dexamphetamine,

i've been prescribed valium for my anxiety but my doc is reluctant to prescribed them to me, and due to withdrawal symptoms i haven't been back to my psychiatrist

which will prescribed them to me if i request it due to the anxiety i experience as a result of the natural side effects of the dexamphetamine. Never did i know Phenibut

would cause severe intense withdrawals, i experienced tremors, anxiety attacks that felt almost like an heart attack, which i never experience on benzodiazepines

withdrawals throughout my whole life. So i drove my self to the hospital without calling 000 due to not wanting to alert my mum to get worried since she is suffering

from anxiety disorder which is also prescribed on benzo Xanax, who suffered from cancer and has finally won the battle. I've been by her side literally helping her for

the past 2 years. They seriously need to make phenibut illegal as it's legal to buy online and not regulated in Australia. Luckily As i'm typing this message my withdrawals

from Phenibut has finally subsided. Though i needed to have taken a few valium for the past 2 days.

oh the dosages for phenibut was 4 x 750ml and they are in these dodgy capsules. I suggest everyone steer clear away from them.

I'd rather be prescribed on valium, even though i have to go back to my psychiatrist and pay a hefty fee.

I just don't get why it's not regulated while normal doctors are so reluctant to prescribe you benzos when you have a disorder and are in need of them.

So the psychiatrist can make money? i assume? not sure just my thinking

Anyways time for an individual like me to sleep, as my add is now kicking back in while i'm completely going into coma mode, and when i'm awake tomorrow i will need to be back on my add meds to function as a normal human being and help my mother at home.

Oh and i also will crash my car if i don't take my add meds for those that don't understand this disorder, i've been told that i'm being slack or something is wrong with me my whole life, for those that assume this, i'm so sick of your judgements, you won't understand how an disorder feels like unless you have one yourself. So please be more considerate. anyways listern to my advice don't take phenibut. thankyou.

And i've been so stressful due to the situation i'm in, i have to constantly tell lies to my friends that i'm either studying or going on holidays or working to avoid being embarassed or my friends getting worried of my well being and most of all my mums past condition, i feel like this is the only site i can express my feelings and be anonymous here. thankyou and yes please stay away from that phenibut.

And the only time i ever do hang out with friends are past night time, after extremely stressful day, constantly lying to them and avoiding them, when in reality i'm either at home helping my mum with the occasion weekends or weekdays free night time i get, and if my add doesn't get the best of me and the dexies not wearing off, i do get the occasion to hang out with a friend which is so sad. Seriously

and the only time i can hang out with a friend i over did the dexies so i can stay awake and focus while completely ignoring that i've overdosed on my dexies thus sending me to the ER the following night from lack of sleep, i've lost count on how much dexies i've tooken but 4 phenibuts were tooken along with it don't know if it could be the phenibut, or the combination of both and as soon as i was called by my mother, realizing she could find out i have overdosed on them and worry about her anxiety kicking in, i've requested to sign myself out of the hospital disregarding my life even though under constant advice and refusal by doctors and nurses. Now talking about it my anxiety attack comes back on and i can't even sleep looking at the watch is 3.45am now. but i feel like this is the only way i can express myself and not to a friend which may worry them and make them depress. So sorry for all these ranting on and on about my personal issues. Just need to get all these feelings out

Last edited:
bloodymary, I've merged seven consecutive posts of yours into one post.

In future, please don't post multiple posts in a row like that. Click the 'EDIT' button on the bottom right of your post, and add your new thought into your existing post.

Can phenibut be safely mixed with xanax? I am expecting a bit of a comedown on sunday from MDMA and was wondering if it was safe to use the two together. I don't want to run the risk of respiratory depression aka death.....

Only have 1mg of xanax which isn't going to touch the sides of the comedown too much for me

I highly suggest you don't mix a downer with another downer, that's how most respiratory depression occur, from mixing different types of downers together could be a lethal cocktail, many people have died consuming opiates with benzos or alcohol. I've read this information on the internet, so just take the xanax alone should ease the mdma comedown i think never tooken mdma in my life before but i suppose it would be similar to my adhd medication, which i also think.

After being hospitalised for phenibut myself with dexamphetamine consumption, i highly recommend you steer clear away from mixing different types of downers or uppers together, unless in low doses, i for sure know for a fact that mixing dexamphetamine with valium is fine for the valium to counteract some of the negative side effects dexamphetamine produces on a regular basis and it's been prescribed to me by a psychiatrist and my GP,

and personally i do this everyday with no life threatening complications. As i'm typing my dexamphetamine is wearing off and losing focus, heard from my psychaitrist if i remembered most dexamphetamine could be described daily is 50mg but i seriuosly don't want to be on that big of a dose daily, tolerance issue and also what happens if i'm on to my maximum prescribed dosage and i've built an enough tolerance to it for it not to work that scares

me, i still remember the day i was prescribed dexamphetamine was only on 5mg twice a day only needed 1 5mg with no side effects or whatsoever and i could focus all day long till i've developed a tolerance more and more was prescribed until i've realised i probably shouldn't be on any heavier dose than 20mg per day, i do take weekends off as a break depending if i need to help out my mum etc etc.

I've recently been taking magnesium as a supplement daily after reading an add forum and it sure works at keeping tolerance issues at bay. But after a while i my tolerance to the magnesium has developed SIGHS.

ah wells unlucky me no one to blame but my body and weak self thanks

Last edited:
Ive got a little pehnibut and picamilon to play around with. What are ur opinions on it? Ive read quite numerous threads on this but I trust my fellow AU blers tips more so. Would 500mg be a good starting dose? I finish work late tonight n planning to take 500mg at 8pm or so. I want to sleep around 1am, I know it takes 2h + to kick in, will I be sick or hungover the next day? I really need an alternative to codeine something that relaxes me. Im planning to keep a log on it so ill keep u guys posted on it:) Peace:)

My first time was just the other day. 1g at 9am and another 1g at 3pm. Relaxed and uncoordinated from about 12 until 10pm at which point I passed out and was unwakeable until 7am. Felt a bit of a buzz and had difficulty concentrating while under the influence, slight headache at about 5pm but it went away. Still felt very relaxed the following day. Yesterday I tried it again this time 900mg at 3pm effects were much milder but still slept very well. A little tired today but no noticeable effects.

So for me 3-4 hours for full effects and then residual effects well after 16hrs. Less than 1g would be a good starting point. The guidelines on the tub I bought say 600mg to 1.8g as a sleep aid. It also says no more than 2 doses a day and to have a 3 day "wash out" period between uses.

I think it has a slight stimulant effect or at least some kind of dopamine type buzz initially so your idea of dosing 5hrs before bed is probably about right.

Last edited:
Also I didn't find it to be as functional as some others have suggested. No good for work, driving or operating heavy machinery as far as I'm concerned. Not relaxing in the same way as Benzos or Alcohol either but it seems to have an effect on mood some how.

Ive got a little pehnibut and picamilon to play around with. What are ur opinions on it? Ive read quite numerous threads on this but I trust my fellow AU blers tips more so. Would 500mg be a good starting dose? I finish work late tonight n planning to take 500mg at 8pm or so. I want to sleep around 1am, I know it takes 2h + to kick in, will I be sick or hungover the next day? I really need an alternative to codeine something that relaxes me. Im planning to keep a log on it so ill keep u guys posted on it:) Peace:)

Neither of them will get you high but be warned mixing with GABA drugs or opiates will show you that Phenibut is a very powerful potentiator. It made my brain capable of nodding from Suboxone. Be careful with the H Sust if you're gonna take Phenibut.

500mg should be a good starting dose but you ain't gonna get high from it, it feels like diazepam lite minus any high. Fucking awesome and addictive as hell to any one with anxiety problems. Shit, would I love some right now. Picamilon will give a slight rush and relief from anxiety when snorted at the 25-50mg area but again, you're not gonna get high, you'll be lucky to feel anything unless you are already anxious.