• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Phenibut causing severe stomach pain? / Alcohol alternative?

Casual.dream

Bluelighter
So I've recently been taking phenibut instead of drinking alcohol on nights out but I've noticed a few hours after I take phenibut I get extreme bowel/stomach pain. Severe burning sensation in the bowles (not reflux) with a very bloated stomach. It's so uncomfortable I can hardly move or sleep at the end of the night. After 24 hours the pain disappears.

I started taking phenibut as a replacement for alcohol which just doesn't agree with me anymore. But now with the phenibut causing the stomach issue I'm not too kean on taking that anymore, plus is was never really a strong enough buzz to match alcohol.

Does anyone know of any other substances that would be a good replacement for alcohol? With similar effects? In the relaxant social lubricant sense. I did try ghb briefly but didn't really get any positive effects from it.

It sounds like Gastritis. Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. It may occur gradually and persist for a prolonged time (like what's happening to you). Although it doesn't cause heartburn, some of the symptoms are similar to those produced by heartburn, and it's treated in a similar way to gastroesophageal reflux disease, by taking medication to reduce stomach acid. Ie. Tums, Rolaids or Nexium. All of which are sold OTC. Protonix works REALLY well for this, but a prescription is needed.

Phenibut can be really acidic, thus possibly causing this problem. It can cause stomach pain (burning or sharp) and bloating. The pain can be HORRIBLE.

Id try taking one of those medicine's reccommended up above after you take the Phenibut (or when the pain starts). Sometimes you have to take more than the "required" dose to work, as I have to do that as well. Some people only need to take 1 and for some, they need to take like 3 or 4 (talking about Tums/Rolaids).

(Im in the medical field, thats my diagnosis...from what info I had... If you have more info, that "diagnosis/treatment plan" can change depending on what you tell me... I always reccommned seeing a doctor just in case as he can order scans of the abdomen, just in case)

Last edited:
Phenibut is also available as FAA or Free Amino Acid which is reported to be easier on the GI tract than the HCl as it's pH is higher.

Although antacids or maybe an H2 antagonist or PPI might be just as effective as Chris mentioned.

Going down the road of replacing EtOH usually leads to things like Benzodiazepines which are addictive and all end up with tachyphylaxis/tolerance. If it's just sleep your after Melatonin works well for many.

Thanks for the responses. I won't be taking any antacid/stomach type meds as I don't have the issue at all in normal day to day life, only when I take phenibut which is quite rare. I may give the FAA version of phenibut a go though.
On the alcohol replacement issue, it's not for sleep, it's for the social aspect, confidence increase, anxiety reduction, to have a good time. I don't get those effects from benzos, only the anxiety reduction.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the responses. I won't be taking any antacid/stomach type meds as I don't have the issue at all in normal day to day life, only when I take phenibut which is quite rare. I may give the FAA version of phenibut a go though.
On the alcohol replacement issue, it's not for sleep, it's for the social aspect, confidence increase, anxiety reduction, to have a good time. I don't get those effects from benzos, only the anxiety reduction.

Any other recommendations?

LOL *facepalm*

As others have said, look into phenibut FAA (free amino acid). The acidity of phenibut HCl can really be a problem for some people. A friend of moine swears by it, he says if you dissolve the FAA under your tongue you won't even need to swallow it, just hold it in your mouth for a good 10-20 minutes. He says it is about 3 time more potent than phenibut HCl for him so take that into account. He prefers is though I prefer the HCl. As far as an alcohol substitute, nearly anything is less toxic than alcohol. Alcohol is also bad for your stomach/digestion. Phenibut is very addictive if taken daily or near-daily but if you take it from time to time as a social aid like you would occasional alcohol use, I believe it would be less damaging in the long-run. I find it a better drug, full-stop, but the thing about it is that with alcohol, you can drink some on most days and not really develop physical dependence (unless you're prone to alcoholism or have been dependent before), but phenibut will give you a gnarly dependence if you dosed it that often. Phenibut is addictive through two mechanisms. it is a VDCC blocker like gabapentin and causes dependence through that, and it is also a strong GABA-B agonist so it causes dependence through that as well (like GHB does).

Good advice above, either FAA or Fluoro. I take a bit of Ranitadine or Tums if required. If you wanna up your social confidence, a LOW dose of Oxy after 2 hours is out of this world for me!! Salivating at the mere thought of that combo!!

fluoro-phenibut is not actually the same drug as phenibut and I find it far inferior, it's closer to baclofen actually. It also lasts much shorter and is HCl as well so would have the same issues (though the dose is lower). It doesn't have that phenibut magic. However, phenibut FAA is the same drug, just in a different form without all the extra HCl salt attached.

I will give Phenibut FAA a try. Although I don't particularly rate phenibut anyway, it doesn't do enough for me, it adds to social lubrication very subtly at low doses but nothing significant and anything above 1.5 grams and I feel a bit odd, light headed, shaky legs, etc.
Phenibut is just the only thing I have found as a viable alternative to alcohol so far, although it is nowhere near as good for nights out/social occasions. I cannot drink alcohol anymore though so the search for the ideal replacement continues.

OxyCodone Casual^, strange that, I find fluoro similar and FAA useless. I was thinking more smaller dose less irritation. I have always found Niacin good for social anxiety if that helps at all ?

I'm kind of in your boat too. I drank alcohol for a while, not big amounts but a few glasses of wine every night. But now I can't drink it anymore for some reason, it just makes me feel like shit. Then I tried Phenibut which was great for a while but then I started getting stomach pain and cramping, now I can't even take Phenibut anymore.

Huh, phenibut is one of my very favorite drugs, if I could only use 5 drugs ever again, phenibut would make the list for sure. To me it's a magic powder, it makes me feel more social lubrication than literally any other drug, large amounts of euphoria, it's amazing for sex, I have no fear/a lot of confidence, and it improves my music playing noticeably. You have to dose it right though and also make sure not to use it often. A little too much can produce negative effects and a little too little is very subtle. Took me a while to get the hang of it.

Huh, phenibut is one of my very favorite drugs, if I could only use 5 drugs ever again, phenibut would make the list for sure. To me it's a magic powder, it makes me feel more social lubrication than literally any other drug, large amounts of euphoria, it's amazing for sex, I have no fear/a lot of confidence, and it improves my music playing noticeably. You have to dose it right though and also make sure not to use it often. A little too much can produce negative effects and a little too little is very subtle. Took me a while to get the hang of it.

Which type of phenibut do you use and at what doses?

The phenibut HCl fine crystals. I start with 1g and add 500mg after an hour and a half and then usually another 500mg too after another hour and a half to 2 hours. However the dose isn't the same for everyone. I recommend starting at 500mg, and then next time try 1000mg, and next time 1250mg, then next time 1500g, etc, until you reach the correct effects (you'll know). It takes like 4 hours to really reach fully effect.