• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut and Vertigo

Poisoned555

Greenlighter
Not sure if this topic has been explored in depth yet because last time I came on here I was looking for help with identifying specific sets of adverse side effects from using phenibut long term and in high doses and I hadn't found what I was describing. Bits and pieces here and there but none to tie them all together. Symptoms were: severe brain buzzing or intense vibrating, along with pressure in the temples and back of the head where it sometimes feels like your head is being constricted in a vice and it is hard to stand up. The room feels like its moving and you get incredibly nauseous. You get really bad tinnitus and it sounds like tons of crickets making those stupid noises they make, then sometimes it just feels like loud screaming in your ear. At times you feel like your muscles tighten up and chest pains near the heart are not uncommon. Many times you have bouts of panic and anxiety, mainly I think because you have no idea hat the hell is happening.

This happened to me once last summer and lasted a few weeks. Then again it happened about a month ago, and it happened when I had almost weened off phenibut. I went from 10g a day and within 2 weeks I was down to .5g and when I was just about to stop it came full swing and hardcore. So my initial thought was that this was from getting off it too fast. But as the week went by and I was back up to high amounts it did nothing to alleviate symptoms. I couldn't tell what was worse, high doses or small, but I came to the realization that my coming off it too quick theory was wrong. It got so bad at one point I just said fuck it I have to go the hospital because I was missing school and at the very least I could get a doctor's note for my absences. When I got there I told them all my symptoms, I told them that I was taking a supplement that I worked out with but I didn't give the impression that it was any kind of drug and that I wasn't sure if that was even the cause of it. The doctor listened to me told me I had vertigo and he thought it was a viral infection because many other people had come in with similar symptoms. He told me to stop taking the supplement and I would know which was the cause if it stopped. I asked him if it was safe to just come off it and he looked it up and said yes you can just stop taking it.

So last Thursday November 17, 2016 I stopped taking it completely having my last dose of 7g the night before. The following day I filled a bottle of Lyrica (75mg three times day was my Rx) and took 300-400mg doses a day for the first few days then I went down to 200mg roughly, and kept going down. The symptoms have pretty much stopped although I still have bouts off tinnitus but by and large it is gone. So, I think this is pretty much directly related to phenibut use. I used it for just over a year. I have been off it for about twelve days now. Getting off it was in my opinion, fairly easy compared to going through the intense vertigo. I have been wanting off this stuff for a while. It feels good to be free from those chains. I stopped the Lyrica a few days ago and I'm just really low on energy, and for good reason, but I know it will pass. Much of this withdrawal, as with many others, is made better or worse by how much you focus on it and feed it mentally. But this is not life threatening so you don't have to worry all that much about dying.

I just wanted to put this out there for other people that might be experiencing this and like myself, freaking out, thinking I was going insane. So if this is useful to anyone, here it is. I always thought vertigo was just bouts of dizziness but it is much, much worse and very unpleasant. Try to only use it once in a blue moon for times that really really get you stressed, like having to give a class speech for a school project or going on a first date, you get the idea. But for those who can't use it like that this thread may help you in a big way. Take Care!

Thanks for posting. I'm debating trying it but the more I read posts like this, the more I lean toward not trying it.

Thanks for posting. I'm debating trying it but the more I read posts like this, the more I lean toward not trying it.

It's perfectly safe to take it in reasonable doses ranging from 750 mgs to up 2-2.5 grams in a day once you become familiarized with the effects. Everyone reacts differently to it. Nothing against OP, but a ten gram a day habit is outrageous and irresponsible. I suppose if you have an incredibly addictive personality then steer clear to be safe, but as long as you aren't taking it daily, taking a few days in between doses you shouldn't experience vertigo, tinnitus, or any other unwanted symptoms.

As OP mentioned, save it for once or twice a week, or special occasions. however, phenibut withdrawal can be life threatening if you don't have a good doctor willing to work with you by prescribing Lyrica, Baclofen, Gabapentin, or something along those lines and you are using large doses daily. The withdrawal symptoms can be mental once you get to a certain point in recovery, but at a ten gram a day habit you don't ever want to stop cold turkey without help. Taper if nothing else as seizures are a huge risk and it can be life threatening when taken in large doses for extended periods of time then abruptly stopping.

Take it as recommended and phenibut is great ime.

Not sure if this topic has been explored in depth yet because last time I came on here I was looking for help with identifying specific sets of adverse side effects from using phenibut long term and in high doses and I hadn't found what I was describing. Bits and pieces here and there but none to tie them all together. Symptoms were: severe brain buzzing or intense vibrating, along with pressure in the temples and back of the head where it sometimes feels like your head is being constricted in a vice and it is hard to stand up. The room feels like its moving and you get incredibly nauseous. You get really bad tinnitus and it sounds like tons of crickets making those stupid noises they make, then sometimes it just feels like loud screaming in your ear. At times you feel like your muscles tighten up and chest pains near the heart are not uncommon. Many times you have bouts of panic and anxiety, mainly I think because you have no idea hat the hell is happening.

This happened to me once last summer and lasted a few weeks. Then again it happened about a month ago, and it happened when I had almost weened off phenibut. I went from 10g a day and within 2 weeks I was down to .5g and when I was just about to stop it came full swing and hardcore. So my initial thought was that this was from getting off it too fast. But as the week went by and I was back up to high amounts it did nothing to alleviate symptoms. I couldn't tell what was worse, high doses or small, but I came to the realization that my coming off it too quick theory was wrong. It got so bad at one point I just said fuck it I have to go the hospital because I was missing school and at the very least I could get a doctor's note for my absences. When I got there I told them all my symptoms, I told them that I was taking a supplement that I worked out with but I didn't give the impression that it was any kind of drug and that I wasn't sure if that was even the cause of it. The doctor listened to me told me I had vertigo and he thought it was a viral infection because many other people had come in with similar symptoms. He told me to stop taking the supplement and I would know which was the cause if it stopped. I asked him if it was safe to just come off it and he looked it up and said yes you can just stop taking it.

So last Thursday November 17, 2016 I stopped taking it completely having my last dose of 7g the night before. The following day I filled a bottle of Lyrica (75mg three times day was my Rx) and took 300-400mg doses a day for the first few days then I went down to 200mg roughly, and kept going down. The symptoms have pretty much stopped although I still have bouts off tinnitus but by and large it is gone. So, I think this is pretty much directly related to phenibut use. I used it for just over a year. I have been off it for about twelve days now. Getting off it was in my opinion, fairly easy compared to going through the intense vertigo. I have been wanting off this stuff for a while. It feels good to be free from those chains. I stopped the Lyrica a few days ago and I'm just really low on energy, and for good reason, but I know it will pass. Much of this withdrawal, as with many others, is made better or worse by how much you focus on it and feed it mentally. But this is not life threatening so you don't have to worry all that much about dying.

I just wanted to put this out there for other people that might be experiencing this and like myself, freaking out, thinking I was going insane. So if this is useful to anyone, here it is. I always thought vertigo was just bouts of dizziness but it is much, much worse and very unpleasant. Try to only use it once in a blue moon for times that really really get you stressed, like having to give a class speech for a school project or going on a first date, you get the idea. But for those who can't use it like that this thread may help you in a big way. Take Care!

Wow dude.

Well OBVIOUSLY such bad things happened to you because you used such a MASSIVE amount for so long!!

TEN fucking grams a day and did you say you did it every day for a year??!!

I do not understand how people do this and don’t expect bad things to happen.

I never exceed 2---4,000mgs doses (well not all at once, spread out over about 14 hours) 2 days a week and the thing is that lots of people here think that is too much !!

The tub says not to exceed 4,000mgs a week and that’s best but a little more can be ok.

This stuff is HIGHLY addictive and what really pisses me off is how little doctors know about it and how your doctor said it was ok to come off 7 grams COLD TURKEY!!

That could fucking KILL someone!!

That’s like cold turkey benzo WD or coming off a SEVERE alcohol habit cold turkey!!

I remember one poster said he told his doctor or some doc at a hospital about his Phenibut problem and that he needed help and the doctor basically laughed at him and told him that it was all in his head and that Phenibut’s not a real drug with any real effects or something like that even after he SHOWED a tub of Phenibut to the doctor!!

The problem with the EXTREME arrogance of doctors in this country is very real.

Especially since there are all sorts of mind altering drugs like Phenibut or RCs which they have NEVER even heard of and which many blue lighters know VASTLY more about than them and I have a guess that the problem here was that some doctors don’t want to admit or believe for a SECOND that some kid somewhere might know more about ANY drug than they do.

They want to believe that if they don’t know about a drug’s effects then it must be because it’s not a real drug at all rather than admit to a hole in their education.

That’s just my guess about that.

Dude, this is a guy who took like almost LITERALLY TWENTY FIVE times more than you are supposed to.

Hell, even I take twice the weekly amount they suggest on the tub at 8,000mgs in a week when they say not to take more than 4,000mgs a week and this guy was taking 100,000mgs a week!!!!

If my math is correct, he was taking 25 times more than you are supposed to take in a week and he did it for like a YEAR if I read his post correctly??!!

That's like saying that if you've never gotten drunk before you don't think it's a good idea to try drinking a six pack once a week because you heard that someone drank 50 beers 7 days for a year and his liver exploded lol.

Phenibut is IMO relatively safe and I've been experimenting with it for a little over a year now.

Just don't take it more than 2 days a week IMO or much more than the recommended dosage, certainly not more than twice the recommended dosage which is what I do.

I've never gotten any withdrawal symptoms or had any bad symptoms other than a little mild dizziness or mild nausea when I've taken a bit too much.

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me OP. I know this thread is old but I wanted to share what is going with me for anyone who's reading this. I am taking approximately 2g a day to combat benzo withdrawal. I have had a raging addiction to benzos for nearly 5 years and have decided to switch to phenibut in order to pass a drug test. I was addicted to nearly 4mg of zanax a day, and YES this stuff replaces benzos. However, I woke up the other day to notice extreme dizziness and vertigo. That night I fell asleep in my chair and woke up feeling fine except for the uncomfortable feeling of sleeping while sitting, so I laid down. I woke up 3 hours later and noticed these strange effects. Not only am I dizzy but I am also having visual distortions. I occasionally see visual distortions like what one would notice on psychedelics or with HPPD, but way worse than what my HPPD is already like (I used to take psychedelics weekly for about 6 months). It also feels like all the nerves in my body are stimulated. I can feel a weird sensation going down my spine and also on the backs of my legs. I cannot quit phenibut unless I switch back to benzos or else I will certainly have seizures at the very least. I suppose I will have to suffer though this until my drug test. I will post again later to update how long these effects have lasted and if I am still taking phenibut.

Does it look like the world is rotating ever so slightly in a circle like instead of having a clear picture of everything it looks like its going slightly upper left lower left lower right upper right over and over.

First to answer d1nach's question, it felt like I was being pulled in a particular direction, usually slightly to the left or right and downward.

ANYWAY to update, I have now quit the phenibut for about 3 1/2 weeks. The worst side effect of the phenibut was intense nerve sensation, particularly in my legs and arms, mainly in my legs. At some points I thought that the muscles in my legs were going to dislocate. This sensation would come and go in intensity and lasted for nearly 2 WEEKS after quitting the phenibut. I also had a horrible tooth ache and went to the dentist and the dentist noticed on an X-ray that the nerve in my tooth was inflamed. She advised me to go to an endodontist but I didn't take the advice because I had suspected that the inflammed nerve was due to the side effects from the phenibut. Surely enough, the pain subsided about a week after quitting the phenibut. I have now seen an addiction doctor and am on a benzo tapering schedule. I am outpatient and am feeling pretty good. I feel very lucky to not have long term nerve damage from taking the phenibut. I would advise anyone considering taking phenibut to take NO MORE than 500mg a day, not more than 2x a week. Although I would not take more than 300mg to be safe. Honestly, phenibut is not worth taking in the long term and should only be taken for experimental purposes on a single occasion. I would not recommend phenibut to anyone unless they want to potentially face serious side effects.

I will check back up on this thread for anyone who has any questions about phenibut.

Is phenibut withdrawal really life threatening? Thought it only crossed gabba B so at worse your going to feel incredibly uncomfortable. Those are some insanely high doses though I can't imagine doing more than 500mg at a time.

Update: I tried Phenibut after this, two years ago. I?ve been taking it once weekly since then, every Saturday ONLY. I?m strict with this, but I?m up to using about 8,000mg. I can?t imagine my life If I used it daily and thanks to this site, I?m too scared to. Crazy stuff.