Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Phases in Life - What have YOU been???

Taliana

Bluelight Crew
In an attempt to make an effort at starting new substantial threads...

I thought making a thread about all the different stages you have been through. Have you been a teeniebopper, if yes, who were your favourite bands/what were your embarressing teeny bopper stories.
Have you gone through a gothic phase.
Have you gone through a rave Kandy kid stage... have you been a clubber, have you been an athlete, have you been alternative...

I know myself, ive been a fucken lot of things, been through lots of stages to get where i am today.

Before grade 9 i was SHY and what you might like to call a sporty nerd... whose life revolved around her sport (in an ice rink), so most of my friends were outside of school...until i found my group at school and was introduced to debaucherous activities...

I was what you might call a teenybopper in high school (from grade 9 onwards)... a beachy grungy surfchick teeny (having grown up right on Maroubra Beach....) worshipping silverchair (ive seen them 13 times!)... going to radio stations to see celebs... hahaha... saw *hehehehehe* Hanson live and went to 2dayfm to try meet them only to see them sort of in car park and them drive past and wave. How sad. (we were 14!)
I was also very very athletic growing up and spent most of my childhood/teenage years doing sports and not having much of a life till i was about 16/18.

Went through a club stage from when i was 16 till about 19-20 (/me waves to all her old bluelight club buds and ravers- bluelight opened the door for me to meeting a whole range of new people and im greatful for that and the confidence i got)... and also alternative music/band stage (which ive never gotten out of, and i think its where im most likely to stay)... to my doof stage. (all hippified but feeling the most me ive ever felt).

Anyway, i know there are a lot of different kinds of people on bluelight, but how did you get to where you are now? What sort of person were you growing up...

.......this looking over it, is a dumb thread, but, i spose u can "get to know your fellow bluelighters" through it, and hey, its another thread of some substance.

Last edited:
OK, I'll buy into this.
Shy kid. Fat and shy.
Moved to outer suburbs school, grew a mullet, started listening to metal and made friends.
Moved out at 17 and went on a debauched 12 month spree of booze, fast food and cheesy nightclubs.
Discovered women...and doof. Now there was a nice period in my life.
Fractured 3 vertebrae playing football and was laid up for months. Became very fat.
Moved house when I was able to and stopped eating and started smoking dope non-stop. Lost close to 40kg. Also almost lost my mind.
Quit dope found a job and met my wife all within the space of a month. Slowly clawed my way back to where I wanted to be. Finally found a job as a copywriter 3 years ago (it was what I wanted to do since I was 12).
Got married a month ago. Happiest and healthiest I've ever been.
I've been doofing for 10 magnificent years. Lived in 27 houses. Write for a living and for fun. Drink mountains of booze. Want to have kids. Pick the shit out of politics and the media. Love all kinds of arts, especially music.
Psytrance mainly.
cheers

LOL, early uni I was Grunge Chick .

Shopped in Op-shops (I owned cord pants in burgandy and brown, another favourite outfit was long black skirt, doc marten boots and a cardigan of some description). I smoked bongs even though I hated them, and listened to obsure spin-off grunge bands like Temple of the Dog.

I still like op shops but I don't find it amusing to mismatch my clothes and look like a scruff anymore (thank god).

I've been a metalhead for most of my life, now i'm a metal head that does drugs and goes to drum'n'bass gigs. I've also started explorining my spiritual side lately.

Had a ghost phase for a few years in highschool. Then into a bit of a quasi-goth phase. Never got into the whole fishnet, depressed part. I just always wear black. Everyone thought I was part of the Trenchcoat Mafia. But I had "X" and not enough friends for the trenchcoat mafia ;);)

I suppose I'm still in my "goth" phase. Though I dont get into the scene at all anymore.

I get described as a "Corporate 80's goth", cause I like black suits.

i am ashamed to admit it but i was a total teeny bopper at the age of 12. i was totally in love and obssessed with hanson (the shitty boy band) and i was seriously deluded into thinking i was going to marry one of them! then i went to the grunge stage...i think because it was "cooler" *lol* and i loved silverchair and nirvana...

then i think i was a bit lost there for a while until i heard the sweet sweet sounds of richie hawtin and thomas heckmann....i knew that was where i belonged :)

When I was about 14-15 I went to heaps of dance parties (ashamed to say that I even went to "Crush" at Sega World!) and school disco things...

I started going to raves when I was about 15/16... became a "raver" and got pretty into it.

Started going to RNB/Hip Hop clubs when I was about 17.. kept this up till I turned 18. Was still going to raves though during this period so not sure what stereotype you could have put on me then. It all depended on what environment I was in I guess.

When I was 18 I started going to clubs.... became a weekly regular at subbies so I guess you could have called me a clubber.

And now... I don't know what to call myself.. I don't think there is a label. I never go to raves anymore, they're too much for me now... I quite dislike them actually. I go out every now and then... sometimes to house/trance clubs, yet sometimes to RnB/Hip Hop clubs too..

Just in the last ten years I have been through so many phases. I guess I can sum it up pretty easily -

* I guess through the first few years of High School I was considered a nerd. I'm not sure why, I was fairly energetic, though into things like running and not team sports. I hung around with people from the bottom of the social scale (full-scale computer nerds) although most of my friends and I were in the middle somewhere. Not popular. Not unpopular. Just not on the radar screen.

* Throughout this time I was never into computers a lot, although did enjoy playing games and chatting on BBS boards occasionally. I took a few punches for being a nerd, although never fought back. Just took it. I think I was afraid if I hit back I would just get floored. Although experience has taught me since that most of those redneck, bully types will just fuck off after a nice tap on the jaw. I only really started listening to music in this time, to stuff like PUSA and TISM.

* After a few years of taking crap, I started wearing surf brands and body boarding although never really got into the whole surf scene (I found the people just as ignorant as "Homies" who were supposed to be the bad guys. Somewhere around here (Years 9 and ten at high school) I discovered Offspring the albums, Smash and Ixnay. Although I thought they were a metal band at the time :) the lyrics and anger were something I could really relate to.

* I discovered that offspring were a punk band and got pretty heavily into punk during years 11 and 12. I had my first real, and to date only, serious relationship. Got laid, loved it :). Spent these two years making up for my earlier nerdiness in that I didn't go to school, had lots of sex, smoked a lot of weed, drank a lot of alcohol and pretty much failed my HSC (well I did a lot better than a lot of my friends, I'd say I'm fairly intelligent - But I didn't do any study or any class work when I was at school).

Saw so many bands during this period. Got my P's and we used to go to concerts in Syndey or Newcastle at least twice monthly, smoking ciggas and listening to ear destroying music on the drive :). We had a band. I played bass. Drummer quit after our first gig (haha Dominos staff party :)) and it fell apart from there, although recently everyone is keen to start playing again.

* When I was 19 I tried speed and pills. And for the last two years I have been occasionally taking drugs, studying Natural Resource Management at tafe, working crappy part time jobs and still listening to punk. I guess I'm the only one in my circle of friends who still hates capitalism although I'm not as preachy as I used to be.

Teeny-bopper: In early high school I think I could be classified as a teeny bopper. I was just a normal kid who listened to commercial radio but I wasn't really into anything [except maybe Oasis].

Punk:14- 17ish I was a little punk rawker [well I liked to think so]. My wardrobe staples were boys big baggy pants and little singlets. I used to carry my skateboard around a lot but rarely be seen skating [I sucked and was scared of hurting myself]. I listened to bands like MXPX, Unwritten Law, Guttermouth etc. I used to drink a lot of beer.

Skank:Then I discovered the joys of the really dodgy clubs a la Tracks, Berry St, Northpoint, Blueberries and Patricks. Cue tight pants, heels and brightly coloured tops, dancing to top 40 and snogging strange men while completely plastered. The best nights were the ones where I could slam down 15+ drinks in two hours and not vomit.

Clubber:Then I started going to places like sublime. Everything I wore was for comfort and danceability and my most important pieces of clothing wer comfy shoes. I'd dance in Voodoo for hours and hours and hours, take too many drugs and hate Saturday morning public transport. It took me about 6 months to realise that hard house fucking sucked.

Breaks kid: From late 2001 all I've really listened to is breaks. I thought Fuzzy parties were the only parties worth going to and everyone who listened to hard house/ trance just weren't sophis. I went through a stage of having to wear expensive labels all the time and worrying about make-up way too much.

These days I'm sliding into a hip hop era.... but I'll always be a breaks girl at heart. I think I still spend too much time worrying about clothes but I'm not as obsessive as I once was. I've gone back to drinking a lot more than I should. I'm also not as good at recovering from parties as I used to be. If I have a big one on Friday, I'm still feeling it on Sunday. It's good... I like the pace of my life at the moment. I don't think I'm doing anything to excess and I seem to have reached a fairly healthy balance.

Yay for retrospectives [nice thread babe]

Last edited:
Great thread Taliana :)

hmm this is gonna test the ol' memory...

First real phase I would have gone through was when I entered year 7 (1983) and met some kids that were in the Hip Hop scene. Now I was no full on b-boy or anything as I couldn't stomach rap back then and still can't now - but what did attract me to the scene was aerosol art. I'm not sure about todays "hip hop" culture/definition, but back then it involved break dancing, dj's/mc's and aerosol art. Its aerosol ar that grabbed my attention that started with quick "thow ups" and "bombing" to eventually progress into full scale pieces. I haven't touched a can since 91 :(

During this period of being within the aerosol art community I went through another phase, a musical one. In year 9 I developed a full devotion to a particular music scene - heavy metal. I have basically been this scene till this day, with varying degree's of involvement during the years. During the period of my mariage my love for the music stayed as strong as ever, but the social aspect dispeared due to family commitments - divorce soon fixed that ;)

My biggest diversion was during 2000/2001 when I was introduced into the dance scene through drugs - I went through two years of being within a raver stage, but when the drugs stopped i went back to go old faithful - heavy metal. I guess its always been in my life because it fits so well with who I am, how i feel and what I think.

Now along my many years, I have been apart of a lot of things and dabbled in aspects of alot sub cultures - but I wouldn't say to an extent to make them definite stages in my life. Listening to gothic music and wearing black doesn't constitute a gothic stage in my opinion - living within the sub-culture where it impacts on a majority of my life is what I would call a definite stage.

Since truning 30 I have taken on a more mature approach and I'm much less spotanious than I used to be. These days I look forward to spending my time with my son and living through him - nothing gives me more pleasure. I enjoy my sports more these days, such as fishing, water skiing and soccer. I enjoy travelling, fine foods and wines. I enjoy hanging out with friends at a quite bar for a couple of drinks. I still enjoy art in the form of anime and manga. I love reading books. I like to think I'm in my "recreational" stage in life - just enjoying the aspects to life post partying ;)

So I guess compared to alot of people I haven't really gone through alot of stages, cause basically I've been happy with where I have been for the most part and never really got bored of it - the obvious exception for me is the rave scene. I look forward to hearing more of people's different stages - I love some of the contrasts you can have.

i'm impressionable! i'm a fashion victim.... actually i'm an innovator... i've been it all, and then some. i was in on the start of everything since the early 80s. except the stuff that was never cool... shit like heavy metal ^ ya bogun! ;)

^^ oh yes, i even have the flannel shirts to prove it ;)

lets see....

i started out as a teeny bopper at about 12....obsessing over hanson and believe it or not, savage garden.

then it was a massive slipknot stage, dabbling into other bands in that genre. but mainly slipknot. this was between 15 and 17. the years between 12 and 15 were just a bit of a mix of pop music and listening to the radio and some triple J fancies.
but back to slipknot. i loved them. bought the t shirt and drew their logo everywhere. in grade 11 i was in my "rebellious" stage. though i was never that hardcore. didnt do the all black thing, just wore boys clothes.

then i realised that i might just be a little bit attractive and started wearing "normal" clothes. i also started to listen to rap. fell in love with eminem, snoop, dre and ice cube. this was at 17 in grade 12 and first year uni.
soon rap and r&b started to get quite popular in the top 40 and i was getting sick of trying to keep up with it all, and i wasnt liking it so much any more.

thats when i met a tall greek dude at a club one night and we hooked up. after hangin with stoners for a year (but not smoking myself) i asked him if he smoked pot. he said "nah i dont use that shit, i prefer ecstacy"
so one night he handed me a little pill and it changed my life (naturally)

i was working in a bar at the time and after work i would buy a pill and get munted, whether i was had friends to do it with or not.
come december 2002 i went to a rave and met Sllip.
and the rest is all history....

Each of these 'phases' overlap quite considerably in terms of time period.

Ball Sporter - In primary school and early high school I loved my sports...I was really successful at cricket and also played soccer, basketball, tennis, golf, rugby and basically everything else at one time or another. I was into top 40's r+b style pop and older music and also loved video/cpu games.

Surfer/Beachie - In 1997 my dad moved right across from the beach and I became a surfer rat, but mostly we'd just swim at the beach and chat up girls. Everyday would involve the beach, hot chips and Goldeneye 007. I was listenting to punk music.

Trouble-Maker - A year or so later I was smoking pot, using nangs and cutting school to drink goon at 'day-parties' with drunk naked chicks (oh the memories). I went through a phase of being a slight male slut and was picking up at parties every weekend. We would hear of a random party on the grapevine and just rock up with booze in hand. My brother introduced me to the world of dealers, theiving, tagging, hard-cunts and crews. I was constantly running from the cops, swearing at people in the street and getting into trouble. This phase coincided with my regular skating period and we would travel in a mob of 15 skaters wreaking havoc. I was listenting to lots of things, but mainly hip-hop music.

Pothead/Dealing/Adidas - Got right into the bud/tagging scene and started wearing nike and adidas and gave up skating. Would only listen to gangsta rap music and outside school, I only saw people who smoked weed.

Proffesional Chiller - I stopped tagging and being so serious about the weed scene and wore skating shoes and any clothes I could find. I was a semi-hippy, semi-stoner, semi-skater, semi-homeboy. Started to get into other drugs towards the end of year 12 with my good mates. But pothead/chiller basically my chosen identity for a good while.

Nerd - This whole time I'd always been a bit of a nerd and although I did well enough in the hsc to get into the course i wanted @ sydney (my ambition was/*is* to be the high-paid suit living in manhattan). so that was it...i sadly left all my bro's and ho's and moved to the big smoke.

Disgruntled Student - At first I only met losers in Sydney...everyone at Uni is fucked (i had a "what are you looking at cunt?" attitude to everyone 'coz everyone was so confroming and all looked the same)...they treated uni like it was school and it was a shock to my system...I was into fighting the system and shocking people with my blunt Newcastle slang and style. All my friends were americans and I thought sydney people sucked. But ever so slowly I weeded out like minded people, starting with my ice-smoking, pill-popping ex-roomate. That said, my best friend is now my american straight-edge roomate i met at that time.

Clubber/Raver - I went to clubs/parties every week, started taking alot of drugs and first got into electronic music (previously I had associated it with the losers at Nobbies Carpark cranking the Subs in their Skylines - Newcastle Reference). I was into hip/hop, breaks and dnb. Then I went to Sublime...'nuff said...i was hooked :) I don't really fit in as a clubber and usually wear small amounts of kandi. I started raving, but don't really look like a raver either...I just look like a peasant with kandi.

Its hard to describe what i am now...i havent really been clubbing or raving at all this year...im into trance and rap and i'm just getting used to my new place and roomates. OMG, this is my Bluelight phase...how sad :(

I like this thread...maybe it should be called "Tell your life story" ;) Sorry about that one :eek:

Originally posted by Strawberry_lovemuffin
...and listened to obsure spin-off grunge bands like Temple of the Dog.

ahem :)

granted, totd might be "obscure", but they're not really a spin-off: these guys are one of the original seattle bands, preceding pearl jam, even. so :p. :)

Is reflection a good thing?
Fuck knows... I guess i'll find out.

Younger years - During the period from birth to year 7 (pre-highschool) I was the ADD child from hell.
I frequently chucked tantrums, got into fights and was 'well-acquainted' with the discplinary principal in primary school (most people don't actually know there's a deputy assigned to discipline.. there is I guarantee you.. and he's very scary [In my case this was Mr. Payne, and yes that was his real name]).
I think the breaking point (you'll see the irony in this after reading the next line) for this period for me was when I kicked a guy for stealing my hat and broke his leg (Hahaha, the pun be good :)).
During this time no one was really governed by 'groups' as such, although if they were I was probably considered a bad-arse nerd with issues
Following this was the Early high school period

Early high school period - During my first two or so years at High-school I was, what I now consider to be, a bit of a nerd.
I didn't have that many friends, as most had gone to other schools (not that I had a plentiful bounty in the foirst place), although I 'got on' with most people.
It also didn't help that I 'bladed' (I.E. Rollerbladed) and everyone else skated, although I did get as much respect as I could for blading as I was pretty good (could have made X-Games team more than likely if I put in the hard yards).
I was listening to Everclear, President of the USA and Nirvana.
I guess I was a little bit of social-outcast, although not in a dramatic sense.

Middle high school years - The middle high-school years were those I generally consider to be 'life-changing.'
I had made a few friends, most of whom played Ball which I had always been 'into', and was starting to make my way up the 'social ladder'.
I was being invited to parties which in turn meant I was invited to more partied and so on and so forth.
This was also the revolutionary period at my school where everything I was became cool.
Shit, I played Ball, I wore baggy clothes and I listened to bad ass gangsta rap.. thus I became part of the "NEW KEWL!"
Although I never abandoned my roots in rock and metal, my musical tastes diversified greatly during this time.
Alas, The Upper-high school years begun.

The Upper-high school years - During this period I was a much more confident person.
I went to parties, had lots of friends (and some GOOD friends, most of which I still have) and was havin' a ball.
The beginning of this phase was definately my period of most Gangstarness.
As I got a little bit older (and started to go out with the girl I would be with the next couple of years) I toned down this Gangstarness a little.
I was heavily into rap, although still stuck to other forms of music I loved.
I also started to increase the number of 'dance' CDs in my collection.
I guess this my period of popularity.

Uni and beyond - As I went into uni my musicaly tastes hadn't dramatically changed although the diversification of music I listened to evened out a bit (a little less rap.. a little more everything else =D).
Going to uni has probably been the most influential thing in my development as a social creature.
I went out to places with people other than those I knew, I drank a lot more and started to smoke HEAPS more weed, although only during the holidays ;)
It was not long after I hit second year that I started work at my current occupation and dropped my first pill
Since then my life has been in what you could call experimental choas.
My musical tastes have been slightly altered, with more emphasis being placed on electronic stuff than before, although I still listen to all kinds of music.
I guess i've learnt 'variety is the spice of life'.
=D

So to address those phases i've been through (in chronological order of course ;)) there is:
bad-arse nerd with issues
social-outcast,
revolutionary period
popularity
experimental choas

So now i'm more sociable person than ever, considered to be TOO sociable for some :), and have enough confidence to be MORE THAN HAPPY with who I am and who i've become.
Who knows what the future may bring but, given the trend continues, i'll be FAMOUS in no time (one of my many aspirations in life =D).
The one thing i've tried to remember in my progression from in life is that there are numerous people out there who aren't popular, who don't have that many friends and suffer from a lack of confidence .
These people need to be shown that being themselves is all they need to 'be cool' and it doesn't matter what others think, it's what you feel you are.
PEACE

onetwothreefour said:
Originally posted by Strawberry_lovemuffin
...and listened to obsure spin-off grunge bands like Temple of the Dog.

ahem :)

granted, totd might be "obscure", but they're not really a spin-off: these guys are one of the original seattle bands, preceding pearl jam, even. so :p. :)

Beg your pardon, grunge nazi :p ;)

It was 10 years ago :D

Before 14 i was a good little girl and a little book worm.
Then came the teeny boppy stage.
Then the metal stage
Then the cowgirl stage (had a bf who was a wanna be cowboy...huge bonjovi fan)
Then came the teenage 'hippy' stage with peace, love and meditation and long flowing clothes.
Then came the "New mum" stage
Then came the grunge stage
Then came the pub stage
Then came the club stage.

Then i discovered doofs =D I am a proud hippified doofer and have found myself and the "sub culture" that i want to belong to forever and ever and ever =D It has given me more then i ever hoped for in life as in who i am and the people i socialise with and thoughts on the world around me has changed forever...this is where i'm staying till death do me part :)

I actually went to a few raves after i went doofing and still will go now and then to one because i have made alot of great new friends from this scene but nothing beats doofing :p

I tend to have done everything late in life then most and seem to have done things backwards a little bit but i think this has to do with me becoming a 16 year old teenage mum and having my social life put on hold...doesn't worry me though...life is about experience and i don't really care what age i do what.

As i always say the world is your playground...play in it ;)

^
what about your hire a jukebox of top 40 partys where we'd all get realy pissed and dress up in drag..

or was that just me...

but seriously i'm glad I helped you diversify your cooler then me now... what happened.. :p

[edit: I better do my lil bio now]

About age 6 I discovered dads C64 and I'm still a nerd

I Lived in Vanuatu for 10 years with a brief stint in Sydney for 2 years in there somewhere along the way I was sent to a rural boring(boarding) school. I didn’t fit in here at all but I persisted the shit I copped and I discovered when I first got there I had a short temper where I'd be the guy you'd call fat and I'll be in a fight straight away throwing chairs desks you name it I just had A LOT of angst and listened to a lot of Metal about year 9 I was sent to a councillor because I started actually winning fights... and I had my first big changing step where I realised I was a little fuckhead. So I mellowed out heaps and started playing underwater hockey at the same time which lead to trips away from school and booze and then pot..
Once I finished high school I moved to Newcastle with some Underwater hockey buddies got fairly involved with my hockey and to a lesser degree looking for work and shortly after met Doofqueen. I realised I’m not that bad and came out of my high school depressive stint. I travelled to NZ and Africa playing UWH for Australia.

In 1999 I started uni doing a bridging course where I then started my degree. Did the defacto thing for a while broke up with her late 2000. In 2001 I moved into the coolest student household on earth and late that year I had my 1st pill @ GCSS as my interest in electronic music grew. By April 2002 me and some mates who all went to that fine day at GCSS then discovered psytrance and doofs.

2002 was my PARTY year LOTS of pills and a bit of acid including my 1st trip late 2002 I met my current GF went to a few festivals last summer and slowed down from the party lifestyle to having an 8 month pill break to having half on NYE 2004 and now I haven’t since but before. I also moved away from Newcastle up to the North coast to live with my girly (ARGH COMITMENT!!) to now

and my only issue in life now is I don’t know where to doof as the lil town I live in is fairly conservative and north coast parties aren’t advertised due to the fun police getting too involved.

Last edited:
^
what about your hire a jukebox of top 40 partys where we'd all get realy pissed and dress up in drag..

or was that just me...

but seriously i'm glad I helped you diversify your cooler then me now... what happened.. :p

That was probably a mixture of teenybop/metal/grunge and club part of me :p

IWoody introduced me to doofing. I'm so very grateful for the door YOU opened to me to have shaped me who i am today.I would not be who i am and have the thoughts that i do and be a part of the most beautiful scene in the world if it was for you. I love you =D

Your the only one that dressed in drag at that party if i do remember correctly 8) i was a wench!! 8o

and i was always cooler then you, you were just too cool to see it ;) hehehe