• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ Perpetuated LSD Myths

The best acid I ever had was speedy as fuck on the come up - me and a mate dropped a window pane each and found a deserted farmhouse next to the Lovell telescope (formerly Jodrell Bank) in Cheshire, England. It hit hard and as we were inspecting the outbuildings we found a couple of old pushbikes. We got on those fuckers and rode them round and round the courtyard like absolute nutters. The significance of this didn't hit me until several years later...

On the banana skin theory .......

When I was 19 and couldn't source weed once, I decided to put the dried banana skin theory to the test - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Smoking cigarettes in pubs was legal in the UK back in the 1970's, so I skinned up a "joint" (see what I did there
;)) and proceeded to stink out the pub with acrid burning banana peel smoke, so quickly stuck the "joint" and skin back in my sports back. End of experiment - no effect at all.

Fast forward a few days and my father challenged me when driving me to my part-time job, showing me this small baggy of brown vegetable matter. "Your mother found drugs in your bag when she went to clean your sports gear. She's really angry and you'd better have a good explanation. You're in real trouble".

Look Dad, your not going to believe this, but it's actually banana skin. Said I.

Oh really! You expect me to believe that? Said he.

Yea - I know it sounds silly but it really is.

Him: "OK let's you and me drive straight up to the police station and I'll put this on the counter and see what happens".

I was starting to panic. The police in those days wouldn't know from looking at it what it was and would probably charge me and send it off for analysis. It would probably get into the local papers and when the analysis came back that it was dried banana skin ........................ I would be the laughing stock of the village.

I managed to talk him out of it (he was actually a very cool guy, but scared of my mother!!) and a crisis was averted.

No more banana skins for me ..... just proper drugs :cool:

On the banana skin theory .......

When I was 19 and couldn't source weed once, I decided to put the dried banana skin theory to the test - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Smoking cigarettes in pubs was legal in the UK back in the 1970's, so I skinned up a "joint" (see what I did there
;)) and proceeded to stink out the pub with acrid burning banana peel smoke, so quickly stuck the "joint" and skin back in my sports back. End of experiment - no effect at all.

Fast forward a few days and my father challenged me when driving me to my part-time job, showing me this small baggy of brown vegetable matter. "Your mother found drugs in your bag when she went to clean your sports gear. She's really angry and you'd better have a good explanation. You're in real trouble".

Look Dad, your not going to believe this, but it's actually banana skin. Said I.

Oh really! You expect me to believe that? Said he.

Yea - I know it sounds silly but it really is.

Him: "OK let's you and me drive straight up to the police station and I'll put this on the counter and see what happens".

I was starting to panic. The police in those days wouldn't know from looking at it what it was and would probably charge me and send it off for analysis. It would probably get into the local papers and when the analysis came back that it was dried banana skin ........................ I would be the laughing stock of the village.

I managed to talk him out of it (he was actually a very cool guy, but scared of my mother!!) and a crisis was averted.

No more banana skins for me ..... just proper drugs :cool:

Heh, I'm guessing you also tried smoking Broom flowers? :D

Haha that was an amazing story. =D

I forgot about how in my area people were convinced that any time they had a bad trip, it was laced with strychnine.

I think the jury is still out on Scotch Broom flowers. I never tried but some evidence suggests it may be more than a placebo. At least in the few books I have. I remember seeing that first in a paperback book I had in the 70's called Recreational Drugs. It had the lettuce opium, broom, of course Coleus. I can only imagine reading a book called Recreational Drugs from 2050. :D

@F.U.B.A.R.
Yup - Had a Scotch Broom in my back garden. Tried that too. Irony was it was my Dad who planted it :). Put the flowers in a jam jar, sealed it and let them stew for the recommended number of weeks (I think it was two) and voila! Zilch.

Good thing was though that Scotland has Liberty Caps that are, I think, among the best. Upward and onward :)

So no need for Broonanas

I remember almost all of these myths from back in my highschool to early college days (late 90s-early 2000s.) I can add one I heard about shrooms, that it exerts its effects by causing your brain to temporarily bleed, lol. I have to ask, for those of you in high school/college do you still hear these myths?

I'd always hoped that the internet would pretty much kill these dumb ideas. I hope it has, though it seems like people still often repeat word of mouth nonsense, when a 5 second google search would show it as such

That amphetamine cut talk, reminded me of another popular myth in my area. Many people here believe that blotters could be cut with amphetamines, and they would blame bad trips/speedy trips on that. At first it puzzled me but then I realized that the myth was more popular among old-heads... And then I came up with a possible explanation. I believe in the pre-NBOMe era, the only substance people would try to pass for acid would be DOx. And they are indeed psychedelic amphetamines. I've heard of some horror stories of people buying DOx having told it was acid, and then staying up for days on end ... And the explanation would be " Dude, you got an amphetamine".

So today, most people here have never even heard of DOx. But the "Dude, your blotter has amphetamines on it" kinda stuck in the local acid culture. So now people will complaint how their acid feels speedy and it is probably cut with amphetamines. Most of the time now, I think they actually get some NBOMe, which are in fact a little bit speedier than acid.

I'd always hoped that the internet would pretty much kill these dumb ideas. I hope it has, though it seems like people still often repeat word of mouth nonsense, when a 5 second google search would show it as such

SO MUCH THIS, it always amazes me than people can still be so ignorant about the drugs they use when on this day an age all ignorance is by choice. You can find literally all you need to know by typing the name of a drug on google !!! Yet people still think "Ecstasy" and "Molly" are different drugs, or that an active dose of amphetamines could fit a blotter.

LOL I think the funniest thing about all these speed/strychnine stories is when someone says that to me here in 2019. It was ok back in the 70's when stuff was just coming out. But sure enough somewhere in the future I will here someone say they had a blotter cut with speed or strychnine.

Agreed. In some cases, people are spreading these same kind if myths via the Internet (like for example the oft-repeated "DMT released in large amounts during birth and death (I've also heard during other times such as dreaming). There is no evidence to support these claims and it was literally an idea put forth by Strassman who admitted it was just a theory with no evidence. The fact that DMT is probably used in trace amounts as a neurotransmitter and thus DMT is found in the spinal fluid does not means it is released in massive amounts at any time during life. Yet the majority of people I talk to that use DMT think it's scientific fact. And it's because it's been repeated so much on the Internet.

Agree with the DMT ones Shadowmeister.

The DNA double-helix LSD myth. It was not discovered while under the effects of LSD.

Mescaline microdots.

The use of myths only moves us further from legislation.

...........The DNA double-helix LSD myth. It was not discovered while under the effects of LSD..........
I'm kinda aware that most things don't happen, "while under the effect .....". There are however studies where artists have produced paintings whilst tripping - the art was woefully pathetic. There is no doubt that the psychedelic experience has inspired amazing artwork from artists who openly admit to enjoyng the psychedelic experience.

So could there be there any mileage in the idea that Watson and Crick (or at least one of them) used LSD to loosen up their imagination and the DNA breakthrough may have had it's roots in the experience. Of course we may never know as there have been outright denials by at least the living member of the pair.

Not trying to support any daft myths, but maybe some poets, artists, scientists and other creative people can flock to Denver and carry out some 'research' ;-)

E

Well, about scientific discovery and psychedelics: Kary Mullis, the Nobel prize wining molecular biologist who invented PCR, was pretty vocal about how psychedelics helped him come-up with the idea.

He's also pretty nuts though, btw.

Kary Mullis, ......... He's also pretty nuts though, btw.

I believe most of these top guys are by most standards. Highly a/antisocial by virtue of their intense immersion in their chosen topic, unwavering belief in themselves and highly restricted experience of social situations. Oh - and of course, the characteristic "don't suffer fools gladly" syndrome.

Not all of course ........ but walk the corridors of academic power and it is quite apparent.

They used to tell people it mutates your DNA. A bunch of retarded bullshit and much of it persists today, unfortunately. People lump acid with things like meth and coke.

^ Where I live most people think acid is actually WORSE for you than cocaine ... I just have to lol

I think the pink elephants thing stems from the trippy sequence in the original Dumbo movie when he drinks beer and hallucinates, but does the cliche predates that (1941)?

edit: ahah wikipedia has a page on the topic! Cool read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_pink_elephants

That five minutes is better than all of Fantasia her Annie other Disney animation for Trippin. In my youth it was a lifetime goal to watch all their animation on at least 500 Mikes and see which was the best and most obviously made for watching while hallucinating and nothing beats pink elephants on Parade please prove me wrong

It's possible - LSD wasn't all blotter back then like it is now. From what I've heard people were taking 'acid' in gels, gelcaps, pressed pills, all different formats.

OTOH it sounds fake BS. In highschool in the 90s it was always on blotter and microdots, people would say one batch or another was "speedy" or cut with strychnine, which doesn't make much sense considering the size of the blotter or microdot, couldn't really hold anything but LSD, the only drug potent enough at that time.

Fear of acid pill with speed in it was the reason that blotters took over, people were scared their pills had other things in it, and only LSD with fit on a blotter. Its hard to find information on this, I always heard the brand "Blue Cheer" was LSD + speed, but that could be hysteria. They did find some LSD and other drugs mixed together in pressed pills the early 70s. I only see one entry for speed though , unless MA means methamphetimine, MDA? Anyway there was enough PCP in this to make me say the switch to blotters was a good idea.

https://erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_history1.shtml