• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Percocet 15mg Hardly Doing anything anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khutch22

Greenlighter
I was prescribed 40mg/day of the percocet 10/325 and was up to taking 60mg/day to maintain my high. I got my doc to switch me to 60mg/day of the 15mg (greenish blue) percocet and it's hardly doing anything anymore. Is the lack of acetaminophen what's causing my lack of buzz? It seems strange that I was fine on the 60mg of the 10/325s but 60mg of the 15 isn't doing anything but maintaining with none of the happy fun times.

Thoughts?

I'm taking it orally, btw. Should I try snorting or some other method?

You're weird. Everyone hates acetaminophen and wants pure oxy. Ya...weird.

You're weird. Everyone hates acetaminophen and wants pure oxy. Ya...weird.

I don't think you read that quite right. I was simply asking if the lack of acetaminophen was the reason I wasn't getting the buzz I was used to. As if it was possible that it acted as a potentiator for me or something.

How long have you been on the 40mg/daily?

I've found that oxy has a dramatic build up to to a tolerance so it could simply be that you're developing one. I was prescribed 30mg/as needed after a surgery 2 years ago and after a week - two weeks of daily usage at 30mg which would get me quite high I found myself needing 60mg to achieve the same effect.

To answer your question there's almost zero chance that the acetaminophen is having any effect.

I've been taking it for about 2.5 years now. I started out on 20mg/day and gradually worked my way up (maintained same dosage for several months at a time) but I've never had this dramatic of an increase in tolerance.

I know there are several methods to ingest. I am willing to try everything EXCEPT IV. That is where I draw the line.

I've been taking it for about 2.5 years now. I started out on 20mg/day and gradually worked my way up (maintained same dosage for several months at a time) but I've never had this dramatic of an increase in tolerance.

I know there are several methods to ingest. I am willing to try everything EXCEPT IV. That is where I draw the line.

Completely fair avoiding the IV route. Since you're on pure oxy now you could attempt a different ROA, ie snorting and see how it changes things. It seems strange but different manufactured pills can seemingly have a totally different effect even though they contain the same active ingredients. Years and years ago I was prescribed quetiapine as a sleep aid, the first time I filled the script it worked like a charm and would knock me out in an instant. Second time I filled it the pills were a different color/stamp due to being sourced from another manufacturer and had zero effect on me. I brought this up with both my doctor and pharmacist and they told me the same thing being that it's possible for different manufacturers pills to affect people differently.

Sounds like this is best taken up with your doctor given that in 2.5 years you've never seen this dramatic of an increase in tolerance, simply explain whats going on and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes to the same possible conclusion.

My concern is that I don't want him to come to the conclusion that I am a drug seeker. I am legitimately in pain but I love these pills. They make me insanely productive and social. From a pain management standpoint, is it a valid complaint? My pain was under control at 20mg. My buzz, however, is not.

Khutch -

I'm no doctor, but I really don't think there is any reasonable reason for you to be getting any less of an effect on pure oxy versus the stuff with Tylenol...the only reason they put Tylenol in there at all is for the additional pain relief it provides. Obviously that was a poor idea and more and more people are switching to the non-Tylenol versions because they are so much safer.

Are you getting a different type now? Did you have a brand name and now you went generic? I heard somewhere - so not a reliable source - that, legally, drug manufacturers could deviate up to 30% on drug potencies. Sometimes when I get a new prescription, I have a few "off days" and I just assume it is my body adjusting to the different strength/potency of the drug. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Another possible explanation is tolerance. It goes up quicker than anyone would like or expect.

- VE

edit: I guess the previous posters posted while I was posting. Sorry to double up on the same advice.

Last edited:
My concern is that I don't want him to come to the conclusion that I am a drug seeker. I am legitimately in pain but I love these pills. They make me insanely productive and social. From a pain management standpoint, is it a valid complaint? My pain was under control at 20mg. My buzz, however, is not.

I think it is a valid complaint. Your doctor knows that you've been on this script for some time and it simply doesn't make sense for this to have no effect, I'm sure it happens all the time where one brand will affect someone and the other won't. Just don't walk in there like an addict but try to rationally explain what's going on and i'm sure they'll understand.

Push comes to shove he simply keeps you on the same pills, which would be unfortunate but not the end of the world.

My biggest fear is I walk in there one day, ask for more or different meds based on ineffectiveness and leave without a script and then I suddenly have to go into an unplanned detox. It's also possible he may prescribe something totally different that doesn't give me any high at all and then I'm fucked for a month. For instance, morphine. Does absolutely nothing for me.

My biggest fear is I walk in there one day, ask for more or different meds based on ineffectiveness and leave without a script and then I suddenly have to go into an unplanned detox.

I'd say that's possible though unlikely, perhaps stick with these 15mg pills for a while to see if anything changes before attempting to go talk to your doctor. Though like I said I doubt he/she would outright cancel your script especially given the circumstances, they will see that it simply doesn't make much sense.

My biggest fear is I walk in there one day, ask for more or different meds based on ineffectiveness and leave without a script and then I suddenly have to go into an unplanned detox. It's also possible he may prescribe something totally different that doesn't give me any high at all and then I'm fucked for a month. For instance, morphine. Does absolutely nothing for me.

K -

Don't fear walking in there and walking out with nothing for withdrawals - it's a shit situation, but you wont die. What you need to do is make a plan. Have some Kratom, benzos, subs, immodium - whatever you need to make it through, have it on hand. Certainly don't wait for something bad to happen before knowing how you will respond.

Additionally, in the case you are describing to us, that would be boarder line medical malpractice at best. Have you signed an opiate contract by any chance?

Tell him that you have already tried morphine and it does nothing for your pain and makes you itch super bad. You have to be able to talk to your doctor about this and not be labeled a drug abuser. If you got kicked off for explaining the impacts of your meds, I would have been out on my ass long ago.

- VE

K -

Don't fear walking in there and walking out with nothing for withdrawals - it's a shit situation, but you wont die. What you need to do is make a plan. Have some Kratom, benzos, subs, immodium - whatever you need to make it through, have it on hand. Certainly don't wait for something bad to happen before knowing how you will respond.

Additionally, in the case you are describing to us, that would be boarder line medical malpractice at best. Have you signed an opiate contract by any chance?

Tell him that you have already tried morphine and it does nothing for your pain and makes you itch super bad. You have to be able to talk to your doctor about this and not be labeled a drug abuser. If you got kicked off for explaining the impacts of your meds, I would have been out on my ass long ago.

- VE

Makes sense. It's just always a concern given the fact that I am actually seeking a high rather than pain relief. I have developed a rather decent relationship with my pain doctor and, while not personal, we have a mutual respect for one another.

I have signed an opiate contract just recently. It wasn't due to anything that I had done. Laws just happened to change in the municipality so he had to do it to all his patients.

Given the facts presented, which medicine should I ask for? I was able to get the ones I'm on now because I told him a family member gave me a few and they worked well. I'm not sure what to say from here and I don't want to end up getting something that doesn't give me a decent buzz.

Taking the apap out of the combination, will definetely lower the analgesic effects..

-hs

Taking the apap out of the combination, will definetely lower the analgesic effects..

-hs

The way i'm seeing it is not lack of analgesic effects but rather lack of a buzz, surely the lack of the acetaminophen cannot be causing that?

What are you guys even talking about? There's absolutely no issue with asking your doctor to switch you back from a pure oxy medication to Percocet. It actually clears all doubts of drug seeking behavior because it shows you're taking it for pain and draw benefit from the anti-inflammatory component.

Useless discussion going on and on, what would my doctor say. Lol.

You don't know what the OP looks like in real life, maybe he's an open sore from neck to toe so he interprets Tylenol as being a buzz because it actually takes the inflammation away.

How about trying a different pharmacy next month that may have a different generic brand. Do a little research and see what's out there for generics. Maybe try taking a Tylenol with them to see if it "kicks them in". The last thing you want to do is screw it up w/ your doc.They're walking on eggshells as it is.

What are you guys even talking about? There's absolutely no issue with asking your doctor to switch you back from a pure oxy medication to Percocet. It actually clears all doubts of drug seeking behavior because it shows you're taking it for pain and draw benefit from the anti-inflammatory component.

This
Try taking your usual percocet dosage, if you're not experiencing a buzz it's most likely caused by tolerance
If you're feeling a buzz it's the additional acetaminophen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.