Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

People guessing the xx in MDxx

potato

Bluelighter
This community has done a lot of good work towards getting people to test their pills, provide sources for their information and not post complete bullshit.

However one thing I have noticed people doing is making authorative statements about the contents of a pill based purely on effects. These people seem to be MDxx connosieurs, their "drug palette" clearly developed enough to distinguish between MDMA, MDEA, MDA, even MDBD!

Really folks, unless you have a lab analysis, you know exactly this about those 2 x's in MDxx: Diddly Squat.

Seriously, experiences vary sooo much from user to user on the same pill, and from pill to pill with the same user, that you cant pin down the contents of a pill by effects alone. Set and setting play too much of a part.

How many threads with comments like "probably got MDA in it" are there? Plenty. Some recent examples from Aus Drug Discussion are threads re orange butterflies and red russians. Both had comments mentioning MDA based on the pill's effects. Yet this thread makes it clear that the butterflies were MDMA alone.

Even more of a bugbear is MDEA. I mean the difference in effects to MDMA are so subtle that MDMA effects influenced by set and setting could easily be mistaken for PikHal's (gospel8( ) desciption of MDEA's effects.

So please, dont bother speculating if a pill is MDMA, MDEA, MDA. Test it. If it turns purple-black with marquis you may feel entitled to declare it MDxx. But dont try and tell me something is MDEA cos 'it didn't feel loved up, more speedy or someting".

/rant

If you test it with the extreme tester you can tell if the major content is MDA or MDMA/MDEA due to them being primary and secondary amines. But between MDMA/MDEA I agree with your comment.

There has been alot of this happening on pillreports latly, The education levels regarding substance seem to be considerably lower at pillreports then places like bluelight etc, it is to be expected. All you can really do is sit back and watch the misinformed. I guess they have to understand that there are infinite factors to look at as to why a substance places a certain type of effect on the user during the experience, it's not just the drug itself either.

I believe MDEA is uncommonly found in ecstasy pills. There is a HUGE variation in effects with MDMA dose, and pills are by no means consistent in their contents. Variations in drug content between pills in a single batch are indeed possible, and as mentioned above, variations in set and setting can be responsible for completely changing the mental aspect of the drug experience. Check any quantitative testing database of ecstacy pills (eg. Eve & Rave which has come back online this year) and you'll see a variation in MDMA content from as low as a few milligrams (the lowest I have seen is 3mg) up to huge doses that would make people sick (the highest I have seen is recently is 170mg MDMA).

It is VERY rare to see MDEA in pill test results these days, and in my opinion it has never been very common compared to MDMA or other substances, both in the field and in the laboratory - order ecstasydata.org's results by substance to see the comparison between MDA/MDMA (multiple pages of results) and MDE (less than a page total). People blame variations in pill effects on all kinds of adulterants, which are usually unlikely to be there -- traditionally we reasoned that if there is MDMA in the pill then statistically there is a small likelihood of any other drugs being contained. I still believe this is true in the field, despite the appearance of several MDMA + adulterant combinations in the online testing databases over the years (I hold this belief due to the sampling methodology - people are more likely to send 'suspect' samples for analysis, leading to higher frequency of adulterants appearing in the database).

In conclusion, the presence of one particular phsyical effect (eg. visuals, or speediness, or nausea) or the lack of an effect (eg. no eye wobbles, no jaw clenching, not feeling loved-up) is never enough information to confirm or deny the presence of a drug, because quite often these effects can be naturally present or absent at varying dose or tolerance levels, or in adverse or potentiating circumstances.

It's absolutely normal to reflect on the experience, and attempt to figure out what we've taken based on what we know and what we've read -- in fact, this is what we AIM to do at BL... it's wonderful that everyone is reading, learning, and analysing their drug experiences! The main purpose of this thread is to emphasise the point we always push - educate yourself about the drugs by testing them and analysing the experience, but be careful not to invest too much confidence in conclusions drawn from insufficient facts.

BigTrancer :)

While I agree on most things BT has said, I believe that as import restrictions see more local MDXX produced, it is very likely we might also see more MDEA. The amine needed is widely available as it is used to absorb CO2 in Hydrogen fuel cells and related applications, unlike the amine required for MDMA and meth (ketone routes), which is tightly regulated and has been for many years.

I would guess almost no one who claims to have an MDEA pill or a MDA pill has actually used a reagent test to come to this conclusion.

So many people seem to assume if they get any visuals it must be MDA or if it lasts a little longer thn usual it can't be MDMA. Then theres the group who drop pills every week and get some kind of tolerance built up start blaming the huge influx of MDEA pills on the absence of the loved up feelings they used to get.

well i have no idea what it contains other than MDxx... im not going to pretend i am cool and know the effect of every substance.... coz i dont...

personally, i dont take pillreports reports that serious... i look at some of them and they are complete bullshit... i only trust a few posters on that site....

most just seems like "OMG this is great, i got mashed for 5.5 hours" 10/10 - contents asprin...

i dont know what im talking about, bye!

phase_dancer said:
While I agree on most things BT has said, I believe that as import restrictions see more local MDXX produced, it is very likely we might also see more MDEA. The amine needed is widely available as it is used to absorb CO2 in Hydrogen fuel cells and related applications, unlike the amine required for MDMA and meth (ketone routes), which is tightly regulated and has been for many years.

these are my thoughts too.....however P_d is a lot more knowledgeable than I....

I must admit im guilty of guessing that a pill has MDA in it based on the experience. I realise its extremely subjective to do so and more importantly prone to inaccuracies. However I'd like to make people aware in a report if I believe theres even a small chance that the pill isn't mdma - which is all it should be. I've had pills that appeared to contain mda based on robadope reactions, and I've had ones only tested with a marquis that I believe had mda too due to the similarities in effects (and lack of other effects), and unfortunately I havn't really enjoyed any experience of mda pills much either. Ofcourse, like BT said, this could all be to do with different dose levels and/or tolerance (though tolerance isn't really an issue for me since I dont take pills more often than once in 4 months). It could even be that in my mind I just consider a good experience on a pill to mean mdma, and anything else must be an adulterant. Obviously, this assumption would be incorrect, though on many of the times I have had good experiences, test results have also confirmed the only active ingredients as mdma.

I agree that its bad when people state for a fact that the pill they had could only have been a 3:2:1 mix of mdea,mda and mdma (or something to a similar extent) when such a comment is almost definately a load of bs. I dont however have a problem with people that say the suspected contents is mdxx, and then in the report say they believed that the effects werent solely mdma. Same goes for the comments. I dont pill often and get really dissapointed when the time finally does come and I end up getting knocked on my arse feeling anxious and unhappy. The emotion and euphoria are the sole reasons I enjoy "ecstacy" and the lack of those feelings just isn't right. Ofcourse, given the subjective nature of this matter, it could even be that my mind is causing the experience to be less enjoyable because I had heard or thought the pill wasn't mdma.

Regarding mdea, I think its too subjective to be able to distinguish it from mdma given that they test up the same. Unless one has consuemd a known dose of mdea I think comments to that extent are pretty much useless.

One last thing. Regarding the butterflies mentioned in the first post, I have personally seen one of these tested positive on robadope, so I suspect there were two (or more) batches.

Last edited:
Like peaked i've said i think pills contain MDA. I found my last post where i did so:

did not seem at all ketaminey just like a nice high dose of MDA

I like think its pretty obvious that i'm giving my opinion based on my subjective experience, you say you think these judgements from experience are worthless, well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it but i disagree and think it can be of some use which is why i post such opinions and why i appreciate when others do too, depending on specific circumstances. I don't think you can tell everyone on bl they shouldn't speculate on pill content, if you don't like speculatation can't just ignore it yourself and let those of us who wish to indulge do so.

Ok, might seem like a stupid question, but what are the GENERAL effects of MDMA/MDEA compared to MDA? Call me ignorant, but as long as i don't get k-bombs, i'm happy, so i've never really looked into it.

I beleive it is good that at least people are trying to differentiate between the different MDxx compunds as it shows that people are becoming more educated on these substances. Even if this is done by something that is as subjective as the experience, I believe that this is much better than simple saying 'the bickie contained ecstacy'.
Although I dio believe that it is much better to use regents like Robadope to back up MDMA vs. MDA claims- if there is significant talk of a pill containing MDMA or MDA on say pillreports then this will help people figure out which pill they want to buy based on what sort of substance they want to get.
If you are confused as to the MDxx substance you are getting in your pill then use a robadope and simmons regent- that is the best an individual can do.
As for peopel posting claims as to whether a pill contains MDMA/MDA/MDEA on pillreports.com or bluelight it is best take what is said on these forums with a grain of salt. 99% of what is said on these forums is nothing but opinion (in many cases an educated opinion, but an opinion none the less).