• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Distancing Talk Thread: Swirly Congregation That's 100% Pandemic-Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
history majors usually become teachers here, can't you do that?
Tried, and failed, was my original plan. Here, history majors don't get history teaching jobs, history teachers can have any degree, as long as they know a sport to coach and have a certification from a good school or have an in through nepotism. My certification is an alternative type that's frowned upon, and I never played a sport in my life aside from downhill snow-skiing (hardly applicable lol) so despite my extremely better qualifications over others who have been hired in my stead, I have only been to one interview, despite 100 applications and a dozen job fairs for teaching I've attended.

Even the most ghetto district in my area hasn't called me back ever (despite dozens of openings a year), and I put in all the effort I'm capable of for that one, writing them letters to express my ties to the city and my commitment to educating the youth about our history. And... nothing. Not even an interview. So I can either give up on teaching or I can go back to school and acquire 20k in debt to get a 'good' certification that will take about two years to earn.

Last edited:
They say historians can be teachers, officers in the military, and FBI agents. Can't join the FBI because drugs. Can't join the Army cause I already did and they dropped me when my body failed me. And can't be a teacher because I can't even get a call-back to sub around here let alone interview for a real position.

So essentially, it's a useless degree. I learned a lot. I'm a walking Vietnam War encyclopedia. I know a lot about 19th century Europe. I know so much about the transition from the Qing dynasty into the eventual communist revolution that took place, the GMD coming before them but failing to win the civil war. Why the Chinese view foreign affairs the way they do. Random, interesting stuff, but worthless to capitalism.

I'm considering, if my wife can get a larger raise, staying a house husband and working on writing. I'm a good writer (I could at least do editing, I notice so many typos in articles I read, FFS I can do that guy's job, he sucks clearly) and I'm considering writing a collection of essays or short stories and seeing if I could get published or perhaps move into journalism. Those jobs seem hard to come by though...

Last edited:
It most definitely isn't but I'm grateful for my partner's help because without her I'd be struggling. Recently ran into work troubles as well and I'm trying to find a place where I'll get paid more and not have to travel so far. My Boss did some really shady shit but I'm not gonna let it get me down and I'll find something better. Was getting underpaid at that place anyway and my Wife is going to keep the Bill's paid and we will have to spend less money for awhile. Thankfully I have some money saved so I have a month before it really hits me financially.

Went and worked yesterday at this new place for a day to try it out, went well I thought. She said she would call me today or tommorow. If I dont here back by 3pm tommorow I'm gonna start dropping more Apps. Their is a ton of restaurants in the City so something will work out eventually. Just hope it happens sooner than later. Would really like to work at the place I trialed at it's a smaller place and should be less stressful than where I was before.

Get yourself a job at Taco Bell as a general manager. I just read earlier today that Taco Bell GMs are now making 6 figures at company owned locations.

i actually liked working at Taco Bell. one of the better jobs i had when i was in college.

My relative worked for Burger King for like almost 40 years now damn near. Started working the register as a kid and just kept getting promoted for years. Then became a manager and then a district manager and makes stupid bread and has since the 90's since getting promoted up there. If you could turn a Fast Food job into something like that it deff isn't a bad thing. Personally I would only wanna Cook in formal Restaurants though as I have a passion for Food and what I do and be unhappy doing that.

Actually had a bite on the Job front went in and worked for the day at this Resturant In real nice neighborhood so they could see if they wanna hire me. Well yesterday she texted me and said that she is still real intrested and has couple other people to trial but that she still has me in my mind and will get back to me today. Really hope it happens because the pay will be more than before and it's smaller kitchen which means less personalities to clash with. That 30 person kitchen where I was at before was so much more stressful than the smaller restaurant I'm use to like this. Got my fingers crossed, did good that day. Prepped a lot of shit fast and showed off my knife skills, cooked for the lunch shift, it was good.

I can empathize with anobody who is trying to find a good job in this day and age. I've done everything from retail management to corporate administration to being my dad's personal caretaker, but I still have trouble making it look good on a resume... nevermind getting a potential employer to actually sit down and read it (especially with the application process being done online these days).

Not only that, but I have a lot of personal skills (cooking, writing, graphic arts...) and self-taught knowledge (everything from ancient history to quantum physics) that nobody seems interested in because I don't have a degree to prove it.

Just keep trying and one day you'll probably all find a good career. I'm still working at it, and I try to look at my disappointments as a learning experience rather than failure. I just use it as motivation to try harder and educate myself even more.

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

Yeah man I went right at it immediately and got a few interviews and this was the best one for sure. It's a really nice place and not enormous like the other one with a ton of chefs in a huge kitchen. More of regular kind of family restaurant which I much perfer due to my anxiety and what not. It's just way more chill there and I could feel that right away and hit it off with the lady. I'm thank goodness to because I just gave my part of the rent for the month and don't have much cash left.

But I just bought a quarter ounce of some Dank Flower and an Ounce of CBD bud so I should be set for the month and some O-DSMT. Finally getting to trial that after all these years, gonna let the Bupe wear off a bit and start with it tommorow morning. Got a couple more days off and it's back to five days a week, really thankful right now for all these happy things going on.

I've considered going into cooking before maybe should of seriously tried to pursue that instead of some of my other goals that ended up failing, Got a job offer at this local deli/take out place that would of been a good place to get started since it isn't fast paced like a restaurant but was busy with other stuff by then.

Things seem to be going forward for me should have a healthcare related job next year if things keep going the way they are.

well jobs in the culinary industry can go either way... as charlie said, smaller kitchens with fewer staff are to be preferred. labouring in huge high end restaurants breaks a lot of people. I actually went to culinary school as a teenn, but after graduating from there and all the job trainings in between I was seriously turned off from working in that industry. If you're lucky and smart in your choice of business to work with / in, I believe it can be great (allthough always tough labour), but seriously, so many people, especially in the high end game, are egomaniacal gordon ramsay wanna be fuckheads and you're gonna have a bad time there, if you're a nice, sensitive, well meaning individual. ;)

still don't think of that time as wasted... got a high school diploma through that and that enabled be to go to university. and now, I can pop out high end dishes outta my own kitchen for me and my loved ones anytime I want

Yes the high end places are just not worth it for me and I'd rather be at a slower place tho still in a good spot just a more relaxed Boro. Great part about cooking for a living in a city is there is jobs all over the place and I can always find something if I really try hard. Having a great time with this O-DSMT today haven't had an Opioid High in awhile now since I stopped PST many months ago. Feels good and I'm gonna play around with this a couple days and jump back on Bupe for the work week.

I found a couple places near us to look at moving into but they always have something wrong. One place looks great but has no washer/dryer connections. A couple of them have no parking available. A few others charge $50/month pet fees. This really sucks.

@Cream Gravy? I'm in general need of Chinese intel, historical insight already would eliminate a fair of bit uncertainty in the models. Feel free to weave it in on bluelight if you wanna feel your degree is put to some use. I don't pay, in fact I'm looking to somehow get payment myself without corrupting what's already going on and preferably without putting Rick from Morty in kindergarten like I'm advised to. But it would be the bluelight open source harm reduction project scaling a bit or however you wanna label it. Or PM me rants or something if you'd like. I can't think up any direct questions at the moment because I've learned to ignore it as I had accepted I'm not gonna be able to break the multiple walls they have, physically, culturally, linguistically, cyberspatially, politically, etc.. but I'm highly interested. I can read Chinese at the radical level, which is to say I'm excellent at awful guesses, but I'm familiar with Daoism. Does that sound uplifting at all to ya?

Could be podcast material even. Generally wanna aim for getting out info at speech rate instead of written rate, but most people are put off by a voice that hasn't been used regularly for over a decade. If I find someone who can stand my telephone English then I can skip those solo exercises where I have to be psychotic in front of a mike as far from civilization as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.