• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Talk Thread: If 2020 Was the Dumpster, Can 2021 Be the Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The situation is the US is bad, yes. I wouldn't invest anything in the US market until we see what happens over the next few weeks. It's worse than what I thought the worst case scenario would be at the end of 4 years of Trump. A crowd of supporters literally built a gallows outside of the capitol and broke in shouting "kill them all!" It's madness. There's talk all over the Trump-friendly Facebook alternative Parler about marching on DC in a massive horde on inauguration day with guns to take back the country for Trump.

Although, despite the state of the actual US economy, stocks have continued to rise, the stock market is completely disconnected from reality right now. So who fucking knows.

The situation is the US is bad, yes. I wouldn't invest anything in the US market until we see what happens over the next few weeks. It's worse than what I thought the worst case scenario would be at the end of 4 years of Trump. A crowd of supporters literally built a gallows outside of the capitol and broke in shouting "kill them all!" It's madness. There's talk all over the Trump-friendly Facebook alternative Parler about marching on DC in a massive horde on inauguration day with guns to take back the country for Trump.
Yeah my wife and I are opting to put extra money into our high interest savings and her low-risk Roth IRA for the time being. But my father's retirement funds seemed to have bounced back for the most part so like Xork said... who knows? That's how economics work, it's a lot like meteorology, it's all just predictions.

Re: Civil Unrest -
If Trump supporters violently overthrew our democratically elected government, would y'all as hippy types pick up arms and march to stop them? I know I would. Trump-fanatic-extremists are why my wife let me stock up on weaponry this year. Got her a can of pepper gel too for her purse since she refuses to carry/shoot.

Last edited:
yep stocks didn't give a fuck about BLM riots or even the capitol thing

Well I don't have a gun, though I do wish I had one at this point. I was talking to my mom last night and we have a lake house in northern Wisconsin about an hour from Canada... that's her plan is things go really south. In which case I might join her. I'm in the "liberal cesspool of sin" surrounded by Trump country rednecks on all sides. :\

I doubt it would come to that, but I wonder if Trump-extremists realize they're not the only ones stocking up on weapons these past years. I also really, really doubt the advent of a 'civil war' here. Who would fight it? It's like 1% of each voter base is an extremist, let them duke it out? I don't want to fight other Americans, I just want to go back to living my normal daily life to be frank.

Yeah good point. I sure as fuck don't want to fight either. It's not just a war I'm worried about though, it's if there is actually a giant mob of gun-toting Trumpers who manage to successfully disrupt the process, kill a bunch of senators, and install Trump as their dictator. Or even if they don't ultimately succeed, but destabilize things. And then we'd be weak and vulnerable to foreign powers. I'm more worried about destabilization than anything.

I think the tump nuts have a pretty distorted view of reality, and lack the discipline and formal organization that would be necessary to be able to pull anything significant off. I reckon the FBI etc have a pretty good finger on their pulse. That being said it was pretty crazy that they did manage to penetrate the Capitol building so easily. But I don't think they could do much better than that to be honest, it's just not really an organization at all. How can a bunch of gun-toting libertarian individualists ever organize enough to beat a police or military force? At best they'll have a bunch of messy riots and skirmishes. I think we'll see the bark is a lot bigger than the bite.

Maybe the actual organized military/police forces will be subverted by pro-trump leaders. This would be a different story, then there could be the possibility of a military coup. But I have faith that there's enough restraint and sense in the higher-ups that this won't happen.

I'm not American, but I really think you're exaggerating, it will die down, but it'd help if everyone stops being all so riled up, angry and panicky. Trump was bad yes, but you've had presidents that have actively done much worse things with ravaged countries and hundreds of thousands of casualties to follow. This is important context, as well as that America has been in worse shape before. There will be no civil war and the people in place will be there to prevent that (which won't be much effort), and the point is that the people in charge don't want Trump as president, he's uncontrollable and disrupts any normal business, so it'll never happen. The Trumpers rage will also die down with time, but the same things will happen after some time, because no one has learned a thing, right wingers are even more demonized than 4 years ago. I swear, the only way for your country to heal, is for people to stop fucking caring as much about their politicians. People in other countries truly don't care as much, it's the illness of the 21st century, only growing stronger and stronger due to media and social media.

I know this isn't CEPS, but I don't care how this comes across. You should've seen my disappointment when I raised concerns over social media billionaire platforms banning voices they don't like (also leftist voices) and removing rival platforms and I got met with with nothing. People in my country think it's ridiculous, Merkel said today that his ban is problematic, but here it's a big nope. These are the people liberals should be fighting against, or at the very very least not cheer them on.

I think the tump nuts have a pretty distorted view of reality, and lack the discipline and formal organization that would be necessary to be able to pull anything significant off. I reckon the FBI etc have a pretty good finger on their pulse. That being said it was pretty crazy that they did manage to penetrate the Capitol building so easily. But I don't think they could do much better than that to be honest, it's just not really an organization at all. How can a bunch of gun-toting libertarian individualists ever organize enough to beat a police or military force? At best they'll have a bunch of messy riots and skirmishes. I think we'll see the bark is a lot bigger than the bite.
Exactly

I saw a bunch of crazy comments of reddit earlier, like people reporting their relatives to the FBI because they suspected they were at the capitol. Thousands of upvotes. This is like completely mental stuff that has become the norm, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Think about this, this is as far as the anger has come, hope people finally let it go

What's that?
The politics subforum here on Bluelight. I promised myself not to comment there anymore since it feels disingenuous as a non American, and I don't understand all these things too well either aaannd I'm not very good at taking in all the angles and ultimately phrasing a worthwhile post but I like to fool myself and post anyway. I hate that this stuff gets to me too lol.

I'm not American, but I really think you're exaggerating, it will die down, but it'd help if everyone stops being all so riled up, angry and panicky. Trump was bad yes, but you've had presidents that have actively done much worse things with ravaged countries and hundreds of thousands of casualties to follow. This is important context, as well as that America has been in worse shape before. There will be no civil war and the people in place will be there to prevent that (which won't be much effort), and the point is that the people in charge don't want Trump as president, he's uncontrollable and disrupts any normal business, so it'll never happen. The Trumpers rage will also die down with time, but the same things will happen after some time, because no one has learned a thing, right wingers are even more demonized than 4 years ago. I swear, the only way for your country to heal, is for people to stop fucking caring as much about their politicians. People in other countries truly don't care as much, it's the illness of the 21st century, only growing stronger and stronger due to media and social media.

I know this isn't CEPS, but I don't care how this comes across. You should've seen my disappointment when I raised concerns over social media billionaire platforms banning voices they don't like (also leftist voices) and removing rival platforms and I got met with with nothing. People in my country think it's ridiculous, Merkel said today that his ban is problematic, but here it's a big nope. These are the people liberals should be fighting against, or at the very very least not cheer them on.

I don't want to get into it much in here, but I hope what you say is true. Being an American, it feels different than I imagine it does to non-Americans who are just watching us. Year by year the division gets worse, you read about it, but we live it. But I will say that I think it's like Gravy said, that it's a much smaller percentage of people who are driven to hatred and violence by it than it might seem from the Internet and news. But it used to be that no one (or essentially no one anyway) was driven to hatred and violence by it, not that long ago.

It's just really alarming that a crowd of people broke into the capitol building shouting "kill them all" in an attempt to overturn an election that has been proven repeatedly in court battles to be legitimate, and that we have a substantial number of politicians actively attempting to undermine confidence in the system, including the president. It's impossible for me to not feel alarmed by this, but I would like to stop thinking about it so much, it's just hard because it's everywhere, it's all anyone is talking about.

The real reason it's so upsetting, I think, is because it's an existential crisis for America. Who do we want to be? Each view of who we should be is very different from the other. It's exactly the kind of problem that, if left to keep growing, leads to much more serious problems.

Last edited:
I think it would be impossible to have a successful coup without the aid of the military. I don’t see how some rednecks with zip ties are going to accomplish that. They aren’t organized enough and if there were signs that they were getting organized then the FBI would quickly take care of that.

The pervasive fear is media driven to further the divide in this country.

I agree i dont believe that they will be successful either @Delsyd but that being said alot of people could unnecessarily die in the process of them attempting this and thats just a shame. Normally i wouldnt wish jail/prison on anyone but these traitors to our country belong there. We have to stop fighting amonst ourselves be for another world super power tries to swoop in and take advantage of this situation we have found ourselves in.

As another non-US resident I apologize for chiming in, but in my view, as insane as last Wednesday was, it's all smoke and mirrors masquerading as politics, and it will be used, just like 9/11 was, to discipline the masses into accepting their subordination within an increasingly oppressive economic system (and this will of course reverberate well outside the US).
I think this piece sums it up pretty well. I also recommend listening to cushbomb's excellent breakdown of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.