• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Distancing Talk Thread: Swirly Congregation That's 100% Pandemic-Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember which brand it was? There are many different brands containing 7mg to over 20mg per gram nicotine. My sweet spot is somewhere in 12-15mg but I sometimes use even stronger or milder snuses. Generally smokers find normal snus too underwhelming and they use those extra strong >20mg brands.
I only recall my friend telling me it was strong. He dips, smokes, the whole shebang, and has for years, so I assume it was the >20mg.

I must say, I do like the nicotine buzz, I always have, I remember when I was a kid wanting to get that headrush, just a few moments of altered consciousness :giggle:... I won't lie that wanting to look cool or rebellious or whatever probably played a part also, but most of my friends I remember didn't seem to get this, or at least didn't seem to appreciate it to the same extent that I did.

I really try not to smoke now because it's unhealthy, also I have a rare and progressive retinal dystrophy which smoking frequently can cause to progress faster, when I was first diagnosed I quit on the spot, cold turkey and completely, for several years... turns out risk of blindness in later life is a pretty strong motivator. :sneaky: Every now and then nowadays I will smoke a cigarette, but it's pretty hit and miss if I will actually enjoy it or not, a lot of the time the anticipation is greater than the reward and afterwards the stale smoke smell, fading headrush and vague sense of regret is quickly all that remains... that's if I'm sober, drinking or on hard stims is another story...

My absolute favourite brand which they don't sell in my country any more was Lucky Strike Red, honestly it's the only cigarette I consider to have a truly distinct flavour to any other brand.

^ Oh I liked them too, actually I have a fond memory of one of the first times I did MDMA, actually a whole bunch of pills, meeting my friends to go to some kind of rave almost just after getting off a plane, can't remember exactly how it happened but ended up getting there with a whole bunch of 200 packs of Camels I had bought for my friends from duty free... ended up giving loads of them away of course, made a lot of friends that night... :D I'm not sure if Camels are around anymore either, saying that...

I know so many who smoke camel crushes... fiberglass on top of lung cancer and alzheimer's? Noooooo thank you :cautious:

Camel Turkish Royals were my favorite for a while when I was buying semi-regularly.

Just had an engineer come out and he and my contractor and I took a look at my house. It looks like the cost to get it up to code is going to be way higher than I thought. Depending on how I do it (bare bones that is somewhat of a band-aid or what is actually really necessary to make it last), it could cost anywhere from $20k to $60k or more. And that's just to properly reinforce and support the part that's up on stilts and prevent future water damage. I also need to do like $35-40k more of work on the roof, windows, etc. I really am not sure if it's worth doing, I'd end up owing as much as the house is worth pretty much. I might be forced to sell it to someone who wants to knock it down, and basically just pay off what I owe and end up with nothing out of it. In one of the hottest real estate markets in the country, after owning it for 11 years. :|

Seriously fuck the person I bought it from and my real estate agent. Actually I bought it from a real estate agent, too. In retrospect I realize I should have gotten my own inspector, but they got an inspector out who didn't inform me of the serious structural flaws present. No one ever did... my mortgage company never came out to check it out, they just gave me money. The property insurance company never came out and checked it out either. 3 months after I bought it the housing bubble crashed and now I'm stuck, after 11 years of paying $1300 a month, with a house worth substantially less than when I bought it. I could have bought it for $100k less if I had waited 3 months and been in a totally different position today. I'm really having a hard time with that realization.

I will never be able to buy another house in this area that has anywhere near as good a location, property values are soaring (but at this point my house is a liability, the fact that it's on this land would be a downside to someone because they would want the land to build a enw house on). I can't buy another house if I sell this because I won't get a downpayment back out of it. I don't want to rent forever. I don't want to rent at all. I feel like if I sell this house I'm going to be like practically everyone else I know in my generation and home ownership is going to be a pipe dream. But I have to do something, it's falling apart. The contractor and engineer kept giving me pitying looks and talking to me real nice-like, and asking me if I really want to invest more into it. You know it's bad when the guys looking to make money by fixing your house are telling you it's probably not worth it. :\

What a nightmare...

That's really awful, @Xorkoth. I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through that. It seemed like such a solid investment in a great market, too--I would've done the same thing in your place

Yeah who buys a house 11 years ago where I live and loses money on it? It's absurd. People have more than doubled their investments in that timespan.

To a certain extent it would be a relief to get out from under it though. I could go rent a place for so much less money and not be financially responsible for it. Save a bunch of money. Maybe buy some land eventually outside of town like my buddy did, and build a house on it, and own it outright.

I could also get a home equity credit loan and just fix the roof and windows and keep living here and hang onto it as the value of the land goes up. Don't know if it's worth doing though because I'll still be paying $1300 a month, and then adding wahtever monthly payment on the home equity loan. I think I can only really get a home equity loan or I could maybe refinance if I could find a mortgage company who wouldn't come out and appraise it but seems like that probably doesn't exist. If I could manage to refinance and borrow like $20k to fix the roof and windows, I'd lower my monthly payment by quite a bit because of getting a way better rate, and I wouldn't be deep in a hole in terms of what I owe, and I could stay here until it was more worth selling. Don't know if that's possible though.

Probably not worth sinking 1300 a month into it if you don't have an escape plan. I learned recently that land doesn't appreciate as much as you think it would.

FWIW, appraisers are not home inspectors. There's a pretty good chance that your issues might not be within the scope of their appraisal if you went in for a refi. But whether it's a loan or cash, it's still money you have to pay. What you're not going to be able to escape is the home inspection when you look to sell.

Don't just jump on a refi, either -- I've seen closing costs and fees as high as $5,000 and as low as $250 in the last three months depending on the bank. Honestly, if you can take the minor credit hit, it might be worth exploring your refi options just to know what you're looking at and have everything on the table

Yeah the loan I've been trying to get has what I am discovering is VERY high closing costs, it's actually quite absurd. It may be a blessing in disguise that I had so much trouble getting it.

In March or April I could move to the land that my bandmates live on and pay $400 a month and rent a house (haven't seen the house but the house they live in is really nice, and the one opening up is the one the landowner lives in right now). Problems are, I could get snowed in real bad, and it's 45 minutes away from town. And the only Internet is satellite, and there's no cell phone reception. So it might not work for my job, and my girl would have to drive a ways to work somewhere (although she does that now already). Rent all around town is quite high I hear, and going up.

What I want to do is go back in time, and not be a dumbass... hire my own inspector, realize this house was gonna fuck me over, find a different house, and buy it after the housing bubble collapsed. Maybe if I take enough ketamine I can go back in time... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Damn dude, I’m really sorry to hear you’re going through that. What a headache. I wish I knew what to suggest in a situation like this but it’s far out of my expertise.
If you do end up selling your house and don’t want to rent there are ways to buy another house with little to no down payment and low mortgage rates.
I’ve been looking in to buying a home and the USDA home loan caught my eye. There are certain caveats, like you can’t live within city limits, but that’s not a deal breaker for me. The benefit being you don’t need a down payment.
I still need look further in to it but it seems like something I may do in the next couple years.

Also there are still affordable places to rent in town if you look around. Dogwood is a good example, also I just had a couple friends move out of a 2 bedroom house that they were paying $900 a month for. But those are becoming few and far between

Fuck man im Jealous i pay 2,200 a month renting a One Bedroom in the part of Brooklyn i live now and its pretty ridiculous. We are actually going to be moving into a two bedroom soon and are viewing a couple in a less Hipster area for 1,700-1,900....

NYC city is a trip, it's worth living here :)

Buying a house without a down payment requires mortgage insurance which is like $150 a month (most lenders require it if you owe more than 80% of the house's value, ie, if you put down less than 20% as a down payment), and it's pretty dangerous becauise you can end up owing mroe than your house is worth, although where we live that seems unlikely. Thanks for the idea though. I have to think a lot about this. A lot more that is...

Fuck man im Jealous i pay 2,200 a month renting a One Bedroom in the part of Brooklyn i live now and its pretty ridiculous. We are actually going to be moving into a two bedroom soon and are viewing a couple in a less Hipster area for 1,700-1,900....

NYC city is a trip, it's worth living here :)

Damn that's absurd! 8o Most people consider where I live expensive but NYC is out of control. There no way I could even close to afford to rent a 1 bedroom apartment where you live, not if I wanted money for food or literally anything else.

Thankfully me and my girl make pretty good money, i get paid well as a Chef in Manhattan. But she is the primary bread winner and makes 3 times my salary. But she deserves it and has been in school a long time, she is about to get her doctorate. We are a lucky couple and im grateful everyday for all we have. It's why i have to keep my shit together and not abuse narcotics.

On a low dose of LSD now by the way.
Feels Lush, making work really pleasant ❤

Lucky you guys, congrats, that's awesome. :) My brother and his wife are like that, he makes about what I make and she makes like 1.5x that much. Together they're making like $160k a year in salary. My girlfriend pays me rent and supports herself but has a random job at a coffee shop and lives frugally... it would be awesome if she was making good money too. My ex didn't even support herself, just leeched off me. I can't complain, I mean my girl loaned me money to buy my car. Would be nice to have a partner who could help me buy a house, and fix my house, and invest, and stuff like that. I've never had that before.

Fuck man im Jealous i pay 2,200 a month renting a One Bedroom
JFC I thought I was being ripped off at 900 a month for my one bedroom. East/West Coast cities are obscene!

My wife is my primary breadwinner too. I mean, right now I'm looking for work... but even when I get some I won't be able to make as much as her. She also wants to go back to school and get her doctorate, she studied psychology in undergrad. Always her dream to go back and get that Ph. D by her name. But alas, that would demand me to make money that I seriously doubt I ever could. I wish I was a trust fund kid and could go to law school. That's what my cousin is doing. His dad just won a multi-million dollar settlement (he's a lawyer) so his kids are all pursuing graduate educations.

If only some of those millions could slip my way... more like they look down on us/talk bad about us for not 'trying' hard enough every time I see them. I don't relish Christmas time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.